• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hintbook Sales

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

How well did hintbooks sell? How many sold poorly due to their games being too easy? How much of a correlation is there between hintbook sales and game difficulty, or were there a significant number of players that bought hintbooks even after beating a game?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, one legendary tale of hint books is Leisure Suit Larry 1. Sierra initially thought the game was a failure, as it didn’t sell that well at all, but suddenly they noticed they were selling a lot of hint books for it.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

I’ve heard about that (or at least read it). I wonder if that happened with very many other games. Some games seem to have the reputation of being considered easy like Eric the Unready or Gateway (did Infocom release hintbooks/invisiclues for introductory games?), but if they sold a lot of hintbooks, that would imply the games weren’t easy enough for a lot of people unless they bought them for collecting, curiosity, or some other reason.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

In addition to LSL1, Sierra sold hint books for most of their early games. I think I bought one for Codename Iceman. Since most early games had some ludicrously difficult puzzles that had to be completed in very precise fashion, and failure to do so resulted in death, hint books were a necessity.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top