• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

When do you usually Quit ? 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 17 December 2012 12:17 PM

looool, that is an excessive answer
Timo dont you have the same saying that “understanding the question holds half the answer” Tongue

That’s just the way I roll… Tongue
Why, did I not adequately answer your question??? Wink

Fien - 17 December 2012 12:19 PM

And how does the missus feel about that?

As much as I love adventure games, I never play them in bed and I’d hate to share a bed with someone who does.

I use my pillow to block most of the light (not that she minds, she doesn’t like a pitch black bedroom), and I use headphones (because I refuse to play a game with the sound off).

Meanwhile, the missus is reading a book or magazine, or playing a casual game on her cellphone (so half the time it’s also me blocking her light with the pillow Tongue). Same principle, different pastime. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

If you are asking when we quit playing the game in a given day, it’s usually when I get tired or too frustrated and need to give myself a break.

If you are asking when I stop playing a game altogether (never to return) then that is when I get really, really frustrated and go to a walkthrough and realize that the solution was so ridiculous that I was never going to figure it out and I get angry and stop playing.

Or if I just flat out don’t like the game for one reason or another. It’s funny because it usually takes me a loooong time to figure this out. I’ll typically just keep forcing myself to keep playing. I always feel like I need to finish the game when I start it for some ludicrous reason. Only if the game is really bad do I stop myself at some point and ask myself why I am forcing myself to PLAY A GAME!  Pan  Games are supposed to be fun. Not something I need to make myself do. I forget that sometimes.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 17 December 2012 12:28 PM
Advie - 17 December 2012 12:17 PM

looool, that is an excessive answer
Timo dont you have the same saying that “understanding the question holds half the answer” Tongue

That’s just the way I roll… Tongue
Why, did I not adequately answer your question??? Wink

No NOT AT ALL, it was more than enough but i just thought that the topic will be understood just from a point that why do you give up on an Adventure? whoever the reason is ,if for short term and (try another one or maybe get to it later) ...etc, or for just forgetting about it !!. ;but not from a technically/materialistic wise (like Quitting for bed calls..

P.S:hope i did phrase anything understandably
Mini Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I only quit an adventure if I think it’s really bad. If I take a break from a game, I allways keep its icon on the desktop, so I don’t forget about it. I usually play about 5-6 adventures simultaniously, and if I get hopelessly stuck, I just rotate game. Only problem with this is, I sometimes get afflicted with the inventory-confusion…
“Aha! I’ll just use my rope on that thingie, and… hey! Where did that bloody rope go? Oh, it was in that other game…” Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dag - 18 December 2012 12:51 AM

... hey! Where did that bloody rope go? Oh, it was in that other game…” Tongue

as you mentioned it, i guess one of the things that eventually leads an adventure to get boring and makes me dropping it, is playing many Games at the same time.
i guess if i always kept one Adventure Rolling (or 2 Max) i would never quit on one….of course unless it reached that point of a total disappointing!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 18 December 2012 12:31 AM

No NOT AT ALL, it was more than enough but i just thought that the topic will be understood just from a point that why do you give up on an Adventure? whoever the reason is if, for short term and (try another one or maybe get to it later) ...etc, or for just forgetting about it !!. ;but not from a technically/materialistic wise (like Quitting for bed calls..

Well, that’s actually because I seldomly abandon an adventure game, especially since having internet access (and thus walkthrough access so as to never be entirely stuck).

Most adventure games only last for 10-15 hours or so. Most likely only 3-6 hours if you know what you’re supposed to be doing.
That’s a small timeframe to give up on a game - it needs to be REALLY bad for me to quit an adventure game.

In fact, the only three I can think of (since having internet access) are the unplayably bad DS-port of Myst, the insanely boring and uninteresting Paradise, and Simon the game-breaking bug-ridden Sorcerer 3D (which I’ll definitely give a second chance)...

I’ll more easily abandon games in other genres…

I usually play about 5-6 adventures simultaniously, and if I get hopelessly stuck, I just rotate game.

How do you keep yourself immersed in the story that way?

I wouldn’t be able to handle that many games at once. One PC adventure, one DS adventure, and maybe a PC non-adventure (or a community playthrough), and that’s my limit…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I personally quit a game it’s one of the conditions below:

a) Being too tired and sleepy in general
b) Timed Sequence after having tried it for the Xth time

Hard riddles or being stuck is never a problem if the solution is logical. I hardly play games with illogical riddles. When these things occur, I do allow myself a sneak peak in a walkthrough.

However, I never abandon a game. Fisrt of all, because I am very choicy with the games I play (For example I will never give a chance to Simon 3D or KQ8). Second, even if I do not like the game I play very much (say f.e. Phantasmagoria 2 or the Black Mirror series), I always want to finish the game I started since I can’t stand to know only a part of a game or a story without its conclusion.

Fien - 17 December 2012 12:19 PM

I bought GK2: The Beast Within in the nineties, couldn’t finish it thanks to some wonderful bug.

That reminds me my experience with GK1. I had a copy in which (I don’t know why) it was impossible to load the saves. The only way possible to play it was continually from the beggining to the end. Since I was only a kid and my parents didn’t want to have the PC (It was a Great Pentium-2 330MHz with Win98) open 24-hours a day, I had to do it secretly, when a relative or guest of ours was going to spent the night in my room, thus having me spent the night in the computer room (there was a bed there as well). After spending many nights in front of the computer, getting killed many times (forcing me to start the game from the beggining), some of them really irritating ones (The zombies were fast as hell. They were killing me the moment I appeared in front of them, making me wonder what I had done wrong! I had to download a program to slow down my processor after getting killed for the 10th time), I finally got a stupid message in the middle of the last chapter that forced the game to shut down.  Cry  Cry  Cry
I finished it many years later in a different PC.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Sefir - 18 December 2012 02:15 AM

I finished it many years later in a different PC.

That’s a lot of effort to complete one game - good job it’s one of the best ever made eh?

Seriously though, major props for your commitment. I’d have given up ages before that. I have no patience for things like that.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 18 December 2012 01:43 AM

Yea, I’ll admit it happens sometimes that I lose track a bit, and I guess this is why many people aren’t too fanatic about the episodic format.

When I get back to a game I’ve had a break from, I would start by going through all availiable dialogue options with the NPC’s (provided that there are any), which usually puts me somewhat back on track. I suppose this could be an example of how cleaning up exhausted dialogue options can sometimes be a bad feature Tongue

But you do have a point, and I’ve been trying to cut down on the number new games that I’m playing at the same time, but I tend to allways have a bunch of replays going on. A game I’m replaying allows for longer breaks, since I allready (fuzzily) know the story. I rarely take more than a days break from a game I’m playing for the first time.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Since I take a while to research reviews and demos of games I think I might like I don’t usually wind up with a clinker, so I feel almost obligated to play them through to the end.  The Longest Journey was one of the few good games that was a slog for me at the end and I felt releived that it was over.

Having said that some games everyone else likes especially those with “sidekicks” grate on my nerves (eg. Toonstruck, Journeyman Project 3) and if I can’t turn them off or mute them while getting subtitles I quit the game, usually for good.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I usually play about 5-6 adventures simultaniously

Dag - 18 December 2012 09:47 AM
TimovieMan - 18 December 2012 01:43 AM

Yea, I’ll admit it happens sometimes that I lose track a bit, and I guess this is why many people aren’t too fanatic about the episodic format.

I was wondering about that too Smile

Personally i only play one AG at a time, otherwise i tend to mix things up, and i also tend to lose interest in the first game if i start a new one. Even if there is a new game im just dying to play, then i force myself to finish the one im playing first.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m not sure if this thread is about “Quit for good” or “Quit for a few months and try again” or some other species of “Quit,” but I’ve done all of them. I don’t usually quit for good unless it’s physically impossible for me to make any progress (as with Relentless). But there have been some games where the gameplay and story are just so boring that I get interested in something else instead—even if that something else is an old game that I’ve replayed several times before.

Recently I’ve had a lot of “Quit because I have too much work I have to finish for several weeks at a time,” followed by “Quit because it’s been so long since I played that I forgot what I did and would have to start over.”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top