• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Myst 2021

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 30 August 2021 03:16 AM

The problem is that I don’t think VR can provide a very good experience when it comes to fast movement, maybe games like Myst could just barely work in VR.

The other problem (which I found with RealMyst and some other similar realtime adventures) is that slow movement doesn’t provide a very good experience either.

When you found yourself discovering a new clue in the original Myst and wanted to get back to a certain place as fast as possible to use it, you could do that with a few dozen clicks in a couple of seconds. In realtime you have to sluggishly walk there, which could take minutes.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve bought the new Myst and will play it eventually. But mostly I bought it to help Cyan decide it’s a good idea to finally get a “realRiven” released. That’s the adventure game holy grail for me. As much as I still love the original, my favorite game ever in fact, every time I start it up these days I get disappointed by the graphics. Doesn’t work well with modern computer screens.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I bought it for the VR version. Haven’t got very far into it yet but I admit I am a little disappointed. Their method for travel is awkward and non-immersive. You use the toggle to move a bright orange circle forward to where you want to go and then hit the trigger to execute. Not only is it jerky but is is so unlifelike that is sort of defeats the purpose of VR. The scenery is nice though.

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

For me this VR version of Myst is the ultimate one. I must say I love pretty much all adventure games I was playing in VR. So far I finished Shadow Point, Red Matter, The Room, Floor Plan 2 and Myst. All wonderful experiences.

My favourite is The Room though. The most polished one so far. Every interaction feels as it should and its simulation of weight and resistance is pretty much perfect.

furgotten - there’s an option for smooth locomotion (at least there is in Quest version of the game).

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Egon - 31 August 2021 10:03 AM

furgotten - there’s an option for smooth locomotion (at least there is in Quest version of the game).

Thanks for the heads-up! I was so excited to be playing the game in VR I totally blew by all the settings. Much better now.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-02-17

PM

What about Firmament?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top