• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “long-awaited revival”?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This is today’s GOG front page:

Kickstarter mania:

The largest crowd funded game to date is an adventure.

Not that I care much, but To the Moon and Deponia score 8, Botanicula 9 and Resonance 9 at some “mainstream” sites. Rockstar decides to put more of an adventure game elements with L.A. Noire.

Many of golden-age designers are back with new projects.

A renaissance? It’s not the 90s, but something is obviously “improved”. What is your take on it? What part of the “resurgence” you like and what is not to your taste? Is that what we fought for? *insert motivational army tune here* Does this call for a toast? Well, why not, I’ve been on this forum exactly 5 years, 1 month and 16 days. Cheers!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I think it’s the start of something special.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m just cautiously optimistic.

It’s great that we’ve got good titles coming out on a regular basis, but it’ll all stand or fall with the release of the first Kickstarter games (and especially DFA). If they turn out to be great successes, then we could see another full-blown revival à la mid-90s. If they turn out to be mediocre (or worse) flops, then we’ll be back to where we were 10 years ago…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I doubt we’ll be back to early 00’s any time soon. Just look at the amount of games coming out now without any Kickstarter projects in mind. Daedalic and a lot of other developers consistently release new, great titles. It weren’t like this in the early 00’s (or for that matter mid 00’s).

Kickstarter or not that likely won’t change. And mainstream sites also often review adventure games now - and the great ones actually get proper reviews and good scores. Again, nothing to do with Kickstarter.

So while the Kickstarter craze may be able to provide an extra boost to the genre to make it even more popular, I doubt the genre would lose much steam even if all the Kickstarter games end up sucking.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

^ What he said. Surely, the Kickstarter discovery was a great one, but, for now, I am already greatly satisfied by titles from the likes of Daedelic, Amanita, Telltale and independent diamonds like Resonance. It’s not 90’s, but 10’s. A new golden era of its own and this is already a great achievment. At least for the time being.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m sceptical. There’s not a huge difference as far as I’m concerned, apart from a few more games on the radar than usual. I would be more enthusiastic about the kickstarter phenomenon if there were more games to my taste - a Myst or Zork revival project, a Journeyman Project 4, maybe digging up some old 90s teams like Legend, Coktel Vision and Infogrames. Yeah, I’m an ungrateful bastard - I should be glad to have Tex, Jensen and Cecil back in action (and I am, promise!).

But all that’s irrelevant in the scheme of things - there WILL be positive feedback and it will be good for the genre. Very likely a 2nd golden age.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m quite optimistic about the time we’re in. Ten years ago I thought I’d never play a decent adventure beside the ones I’ve already played. I won’t call it a renaissance but it’s a revival for sure. Maybe not in the commercial state it used to be but that doesn’t bother me at all. Quite the opposite. I see the 10’s as the years of the indie scene. Games that doesn’t try to be successful, just try to be good. That’s exactly how the 90’s were. Game industry was just starting to blossom. Graphics were limited so game designers had no other choice but to be creative in order to make a success. Nowadays it’s different but you can see the reference. Recent games like Resonance are perfect example of such games. They remind of the old times but don’t follow the old ways and add something new to the genre. (I’m still very fascinated by the short-term-memory way of avoiding the predetermined dialogue options). In other words, time for modern games which copy the only essential thing of their predecessors - creativity. Time for evolution in the never changing style of adventure genre in the past 20 years (and yes, that doesn’t mean action elements). I know that today these gems are quite few and all of them have their flaws. But I see that as a great potential that is just waiting to be polished.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Like TimovieMan I’m just cautiously optimistic.

Kickstarter might have given our genre a boost, but a lot will depend on the success of the kickstarter projects, and on the long term, i think even more will depend on some big commercial successes. If the big studios can see that AG is a sound investment, then it might be a revival of the genre, but if not, then it might sink back into a nice genre.

Right now it seems like it is the German market together with Kickstarter, that is the locomotive that pulls the genre. But i don’t see Kickstarter as a permanent solution, it is as i see it more a boost here and now. And who knows if AG will continue to be as popular in germany as it is now.

It might be that the most positive thing right now is the indie genre, as they don’t depend on big commercial success, and can continue making ag even if it is only a nice market. But i would hate to have “only” indie games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’m very grateful the games we’re getting from kickstarter are the ones to my taste, and not Oscars. Nuh-nuh! Tongue Wink

Double Fine, Broken Sword and Tex are the safest kickstarter bets on delivering quality products I think.

I wish I could throw Jane Jensen in the mix there, but I just worry about the resources at her disposal (apart from her husband, who’s magnificent, obviously).

SpaceVenture and Larry…will have a harder time, I suspect. 

I’m very grateful for The Book of Unwritten Tales, proof that adventure games from Europe CAN be fantastic; in stark contrast to recent titles that ranged from appalling to mediocre (Alternativa, Belief and Betrayal, Lost Horizon, The Whispered World (too dull, sorry!), Ceville, Next Life et al).

I did like Overclocked though.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

A.A - 07 September 2012 10:22 PM

I’m very grateful the games we’re getting from kickstarter are the ones to my taste, and not Oscars. Nuh-nuh! Tongue Wink

Double Fine, Broken Sword and Tex are the safest kickstarter bets on delivering quality products I think.

I wish I could throw Jane Jensen in the mix there, but I just worry about the resources at her disposal (apart from her husband, who’s magnificent, obviously).

SpaceVenture and Larry…will have a harder time, I suspect. 

I’m very grateful for The Book of Unwritten Tales, proof that adventure games from Europe CAN be fantastic; in stark contrast to recent titles that ranged from appalling to mediocre (Alternativa, Belief and Betrayal, Lost Horizon, The Whispered World (too dull, sorry!), Ceville, Next Life et al).

I did like Overclocked though.

Can’t argue with your concern about Jane’s resources, but remember that when she’s writing and designing a game you know it’s going to be quite solid in that regard. She has a lot of faith in her developer team, and she knows how to lead a production.

Not criticizing you, but I think a lot of people underestimate Jane. Some do so because of GK3’s cat mustache puzzle (not done by her) or the 3D (which was nowhere near as bad as people say, and actually good in my opinion for the time in came out). Others underestimate Jane because they were let down by Gray Matter, which was in my opinion a fantastic game with a few flaws. Jane has said she didn’t have as much involvement in later stages of development as with earlier projects. Gray Matter had flaws, due to the production hell and changing publishers/developers, but the root elements were amazing.

Another monologue to myself on these forums.

tl;dr - I’d add Jane to the list of projects I count on delivering the goods.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well people have pretty much covered my opinion….my only wish is that it becomes reality and not just a prediction accuracy discussion Tongue.

let’s all hope that all of the veterans will do what they know best and set the cornerstones for the young ones too(they are important as well but the veterans are able to cause a ruckus much easier) in order to build some trust and popularity for the genre that it seemed to lose the past 10+ years.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

If you told someone on this forum a year ago that we’d be getting a new adventure from Tim Schafer, Jane Jensen, the Two Guys, a Leisure Suit Larry remake, a new Tex Murphy and Broken Sword 5, they’d shit their pants in disbelief.

Then there’s the independent scene to complement the “blockbuster” titles, which is better than ever at the moment, as well as the usual European games that have always come out. I can’t really imagine how it could get much better.

Adventure games are never going to be the next first-person shooter and I don’t really want them to be.

I guess the ultimate question is “will it last?”, and I guess that depends on if these big Kickstarter projects actually make money, so these studios can keep making adventure games. I really hope so.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I think the key ideas have already been mentioned in this thread:

1) A lot of what happens in the future will depend on the (perceived) quality of the Kickstarter games.

2) Whatever happens, it’s not going to make adventure games anything but a niche genre. A very successful adventure game 20 years ago would sell a couple million copies, a very successful adventure game today will sell a couple million copies. Nothing seems to be able to change that.

What has changed, however, over the past few years, and quite dramatically, is the conversation outside AG circles. We went from “Adventure games? The cat hair moustache genre? That should have died with the 90s?” to “Ooh, point-and-click adventures! Why don’t they make those anymore?” Ten or even five years ago, adventure games were a joke, and everyone with any ambition would try to distance themselves from the phrase and the stigma that went with it—whether Charles ‘give me money for my new point-and-click adventure’ Cecil proclaiming point-and-click dead, or Funcom trying to label Dreamfall anything but an adventure game. Nowadays, you have the Sega marketing people calling The Cave an adventure game, when they could easily have called it a puzzle platformer or something like that. I think that shows how much things have changed.

And I believe that change actually started before the Kickstarter craze. Already games like Machinarium and Gemini Rue (don’t ask me why it was those two…) did a lot to change the way people outside AG circles look at adventure games: to make the genre’s status go from “total joke” to “niche but respected”.

Still, the importance of the DFA Kickstarter on the gaming industry cannot be overstated. There was actually a very interesting post on the Kickstarter blog a few days ago showing the impact that Kickstarter had. Video games funding on Kickstarter jumped from about $1m in 2011 to $34m for just the first 8 months of 2012! Even for a decent-sized publisher, that’s no small change.

Oh, by the way:

diego - 07 September 2012 05:46 PM

Is that what we fought for?

What is that even supposed to mean? A bunch of people whining on teh internets does not qualify as “fighting for” something.  Tongue

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

Revival? Revival of what? The genre never died; there was always a constant stream of releases in the genre (a few of actual quality in recent years, but that’s besides the point). It’s just that the mainstream media ignored them and hurried to declare the genre dead.

Despite what everyone seems to think, the genre actually never died. It just became a niche genre (and will probably remain like this forever, but that’s not a bad thing actually). Other than that, there were adventures released in every year, whether on pc or consoles. You people should know this better than anyone else, after all you’re adventure gamers.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i think people started calling it a dead genre because when consoles came in,everyone tried to crossover but AGs couldn’t do it especially when consoles promised mainly action experiences(be it from an actual action game or a football game).publishers gradually became uninterested in AGs and since it couldn’t be that mainstream anymore(i think you can safely say it was among the mainstream genres before consoles).funding got harder to get and devs went under.crowdfundings didn’t exist at the time so without the help of a publisher nothing could be done and indies then cannot be compared to the indies now.

that’s my opinion but then again i was very young at the time and don’t really know so much about the market…only what i’ve heard.perhaps someone who knew the time better than I can verify it.

PS:i say consoles but i really mean the Playstation era.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Shuyin - 08 September 2012 06:08 PM

The genre never died; there was always a constant stream of releases in the genre (a few of actual quality in recent years, but that’s besides the point).

Even though this thread was to be acknowledged in a more liberal sense of view (thus the quotation marks), I’m glad you said the biggest truth ever - adventure games live(d) a life of their own.

You wouldn’t believe how much I enjoyed 2006., or 2007. in terms of new games. And as nothing happens without a good reason (well, in most cases), and like already said - before Deponia there was The Whispered World, before Botanicula there was Machinarium. Before To the Moon and Resonance there were countless indie developers and amateur game designers working in AGS, and before Double Fine Adventure there was… well, Tim Schafer.

Shuyin - 08 September 2012 06:08 PM

It’s just that the mainstream media ignored them and hurried to declare the genre dead.

That might be one of the reasons why I asked about the “parts you don’t like”, assuming adventure-mainstream relation might change someday, and what good can we get? In these situations, I always remember The Simpsons episode when Bart runs a successful niche business with T-Shirts in his neighborhood, until the big industrialist came to distribute it. Bart makes plenty of money from the deal at the beginning, but then the rights are sold to Walt Disney and he gets nothing. Grin

Oscar - 07 September 2012 07:48 PM

Journeyman Project 4

Oh, man, stop that! Yum But you know, just as Hollywood is in the “retro-itis” phase with many revisions/reboots, the same might just happen to games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top