• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “long-awaited revival”?

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

While I don’t think we’ll se adventure games made with AAA budgets any time soon (unless you count weird hybrids like LA Noire and Heavy Rain), I’m really happy with all the exciting new adventure games on the horizon. Not just Kickstarter-stuff either, although that’s obviously a big part of it all. Will it last? I don’t know, but I know we’re in for a good time in the next year or two.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

There’s a major difference between now and then. Back then adventure games were funded by traditional publishers and it was clear they are a sound investment. Of course there was a lot of drama behind the scenes, including games cancelled mid production, but nevertheless the market’s demand was being met with regular releases of epic-length adventures.

These days it’s different. The market is difficult, capricious and vague, and games are (relatively) cheap. You’re not very likely to create something interesting (riskier) with a large publisher - adventure game or not. So the creators are finding new ways to secure funding, as well as to cut production costs. These are the times for more indie like approaches to game-making. In general this benefits the adventure gaming niche, but also results in somewhat different games getting made than in the 90’s golden age.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You know what? This is the first year I have felt the so-called adventure “revival” which was said to have occurred 5-6 years ago, is actually happening.

I always though this “revival” was overstated. The difference in quality + quantity between 2002 and 2012 was very minor. But 2016 has seen an influx of more than just a small handful of genuinely great games, and on top of that - maybe more importantly - a huge number of simply good adventures. There’s a diversity too - from pixel graphics, to 1st person puzzlers, to 3D, to hand-drawn 2D. Short games, long games. Everything you could want. And the genuinely awful games we saw regularly throughout the 00s aren’t there. It’s still not like it was in the 90s but there’s progress.

Cheers!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top