• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

July Casual Games

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Cool, I really enjoyed Mystery of Venice. Sinister Obsession is just waiting on my desktop. lol I’ll def get around to playing it.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If you’ve got it on your desktop, start your engines! It will be interesting to hear how your impression of the whole game compares with my thoughts on the demo.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I bought the BigFish catch of the week Mystery Trackers: Raincliff.

I am still in the middle of Midnight Mysteries and quite busy with some other games but will be checking this out in the near future.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I liked Raincliff. Another game in the series is The Void, which I also liked quite a bit.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Recently played Enigmatis Ghost of Maple Creek. It was quite good. I liked the different take on many of the mini-games. My only complaint was that I was often left backtracking just to see if I triggered a new HO scene.
I demo’d:
Shaban - seemed fun, if a little childish
Rite of Passage Perfect Show - very routine (I’ll pass)
Final Cut Death on the Silver Screen - seemed ok. Maybe a buy for me
Severe Incident Cargo Flight 821 - didn’t like it at all. Annoying robot voice and sound effects.
Grim Tales the Wishes - I’ll probably wait for the SE.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 16 July 2012 07:23 PM

Grim Tales the Wishes - I’ll probably wait for the SE.

Ditto. The third installment of the Grim Tales series starring Luisa and her sister looks pretty good, although not quite good enough for the Collector’s Edition.

I see you also mentioned Silver Screen. I would definitely recommend that as a buy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I finished Surface: Mystery of Another World yesterday. It was a fairly long game for an SE. Good puzzles and many places to explore. HO scenes often needed inventory items to complete. Mini games an the whole were easy, but a few had to take some time and thought. I would be interested in other games from this developer.
I’ll take your advice, rtrooney, and get Silver Screen. I’ve a few credits built up.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 19 July 2012 09:43 AM

I would be interested in other games from this developer.

The Mystery Tracker series and tne Grim Tales series are from Elephant Games.

BTW. I played the demo of Surface. Finished with seven minutes to spare. I liked it. Don’t have time tonight, but I will be buying it sometime soon. It has a very similar interface with the game series I mentioned above.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Bigfish Games is having a “blowout” sale with their top 200 games on sale for $2.99.

Link

I picked up Drawn 3 (never goes on Daily Deal) and Awakening 2 (liked the first one).

Good time to stock up.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look to see if what I want is on sale.

I was going to respond to Colpet regarding Surface: Mystery of Another World. I finished it today and really enjoyed the game. In many respects it reminded me of older adventure games in that you literally have to try everything on everything, even if some of the combinations made no sense. In one instance, although I admit I might be confusing games, I asked myself why I had to use a flint to light a candle when I had a box of matches in my inventory.

Then I read Jackal’s lead editorial. Listen for the sound of palm hitting forehead.

I played this entire game watching the equivalent of “That doesn’t go there you stupid sh*t!.” as you try endlessly to combine objects you think make sense…but in the game designer’s mind don’t.

I think we Casual Gamers may be hit more by the symptom of NO than regular adventurers. But, because I am also one of the latter, I think it is a close call.

If you haven’t read it, read it. It is a well articulated essay on one of the primary things that are wrong with the games we play.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I agree with you about Surface Mystery. I found myself doing the same thing.
Now I’ve started an Adventure game (AGON Lost Sword of Toledo). What a huge difference in pacing and hand holding. Having played mostly casuals this past year, I’ve forgotten how much you really need to apply yourself to the Adventure game. I’ve 4 pages of notes already.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I bought the second Drawn (still haven’t played the first) and just for the fun Love Chronicles - The Spell. I’m a sucker for love stories, I was also eyeing that Love Letter one. Also it’s nice to try out a HO-game that isn’t about roaming in the cemeteries Tongue.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I loved Drawn 1 and 2. The third episode was a little simpler, I think. Unforunately it tended to crash at the very end of the game. BFG was kind enough to give me a credit. I’m tempted to buy it and retry on the current PC. It worked for the Twain episode of Midnight Mysteries.

While I wouldn’t call it an adventure game in the strictest sense, I’m currently replaying To the Moon. I love that little game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I just finished playing the first three Women’s Murder Club games.  They had been recommended by several people in the old thread and Jane Jensen was involved, so I was pretty excited to give them a try.  I have to say I did not think the first two games were good at all.  I think they are both below average in the casual game market.  The graphics are so-so and the hidden object scenes are usually a pixel hunt.  The worst though was the repetitive “puzzles” or minigames.  Essentially each character had a certain type of puzzle they could do, and then you were forced to repeat each puzzle type for each chapter of the game (eg a Hangman type game or a simple ordering logic puzzle).  The games are also completely linear, even more so than run-of-the-mill casual games.  The one bright spot (and it is a big bright spot) in those games (especially the first one) is that the story is very good and much better than what is typically found in a casual game.  I was actually interested in the plot and wanted to see how it would turn out. 

So, it was with some trepidation that I loaded up the third game.  However, I found the third game to be much, much improved over the other two in all respects.  The game is very polished with nice graphics.  Some of the HOG scenes are shot from unusual angles, which made them more interesting.  The comic book cutscenes look very good, whereas they looked amateurish before.  The puzzles are more interesting, and the annoying ones are kept to a minimum.  The story is once again very good, probably the best of the three.

So, my recommendation would be to skip the first two games altogether (unless you are a masochist or a completist) and start with the third one.  Overall, I would consider the first two below average, and the third one an average casual game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I won’t disagree with you. I didn’t find the first two episodes “that” bad, but they certainly weren’t as good as the third. The comic book cutscenes made their way from these humble beginnings to Gray Matter, Jane’s latest full-fledged adventure. There, they received mixed reviews.

Regarding the pixel-hunting HOG scenes: Yes, there was a bit of that. Plus, depending on the resolution you are running on your monitor, some of the items may be off the screen entirely. I ended up running all three games in a Window to insure I was able to see everything. Which, of course made everything smaller and harder to see. Anyone else see a “Catch 22” here?

Like you, I thought the storylines of all three games were excellent.  I just don’t think the execution by Floodlight Games was as good as the story merited. Then again, this is a game that can be purchased on BFG for $6.99 US. Less, if you catch a sale. Not the much higher-priced JJ adventure games such as the aforementioned Gray Matter. There is going to be some kind of trade off.

I’m not sure I recommended these games, or just mentioned where they could be found. If, I in fact recommended a purchase, particularly of games one and two, and you were disappointed, I’m sorry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top