• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkLittleRoseseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gone Home

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

The Fullbright Company, headed by Bioshock designer Steve Gaynor is working on its first game, Gone Home.
The Verge has this to say:

A post on The Fullbright Company’s blog gives some background on its first opus. Gone Home places players inside of a “modern, residential locale,” which they must explore to learn more about the home and what happened to its inhabitants. Players will be able to interact with physics-based elements in the environment as they search through clues and rifle through cabinets. Think: sort of similar to Shenmue, but with way fewer Gashapon machines.

This could turn out to be a terrific game. Smile

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Looks a lot like the Tex Murphy games. Very promising! Smile

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Think: sort of similar to Shenmue, but with way fewer Gashapon machines.

So are we expected to see a mixture of action, sandbox and adventure elements? Very ambitious if that’s the case. Very curious.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

thejobloshow - 02 July 2012 02:18 AM

Think: sort of similar to Shenmue, but with way fewer Gashapon machines.

So are we expected to see a mixture of action, sandbox and adventure elements? Very ambitious if that’s the case. Very curious.

I think they meant interaction, like searching every cupboard and looking at every vase. As far as I recall, that’s all the gameplay they are planning, so not really promising.

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Hopefully there will be some kind of storyline.
Otherwise the game would be pretty pointless.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Gone Home places players inside of a “modern, residential locale,” which they must explore to learn more about the home and what happened to its inhabitants.

Sounds very intriguing! Definitely keeping an eye on that.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Hamham Chan - 02 July 2012 04:50 AM

Hopefully there will be some kind of storyline.
Otherwise the game would be pretty pointless.

Depends what you mean by pointless. Myst has an amazing story. Only if you are willing to dig deep.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

My post was an answer to what Arial Type wrote:

Arial Type - 02 July 2012 03:31 AM

I think they meant interaction, like searching every cupboard and looking at every vase. As far as I recall, that’s all the gameplay they are planning, so not really promising.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

The maker of the game seems completely oblivious to the fact he’s making an adventure game.

We wanted to do something different, that isn’t like games we’ve already played and isn’t just part of an established genre that you immediately are familiar with.

It sort of made sense to say ‘well if there’s no shooting, there’s no enemies, there’s no spells or attacks or whatever, but you’re still in a first person perspective exploring a place, what then is that core experience if there’s no combat?’ So that’s been the hard problem that we’ve been working on solving.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/06/gone-home-game/

In the second part of the interview, he then goes ahead and raves about how in The Last Express you could…get this, explore and interact with everyday objects! AMAZING! Wink

I did really love the fact that the entire game took place on a few train cars, and you could go into one compartment and turn all around and fold down the bed and find something that was hidden in there when it got folded up, and open up the luggage and see what was inside

Our interest is taking the scale of the experience down to the smallest bit of granularity that’s actually relevant to understanding this place and being able to explore it. And so the Last Express thing, you can fold down the luggage rack and open the luggage and examine what’s in the pocket of the luggage, and then open up the wallet, see what’s inside the wallet… That is really cool to me, and I think it was ahead of its time in that regard.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/09/fullbright-on-the-games-gone-home-is-and-isnt-like/#more-114621

The Last Express was certainly ahead of it’s time. But not in the way he seems to think…  Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hamham Chan - 01 July 2012 09:10 PM

The Fullbright Company, headed by Bioshock designer Steve Gaynor is working on its first game, Gone Home.
The Verge has this to say:

A post on The Fullbright Company’s blog gives some background on its first opus. Gone Home places players inside of a “modern, residential locale,” which they must explore to learn more about the home and what happened to its inhabitants. Players will be able to interact with physics-based elements in the environment as they search through clues and rifle through cabinets. Think: sort of similar to Shenmue, but with way fewer Gashapon machines.

This could turn out to be a terrific game. Smile

I would agree -
Can’t wait to read what that note says!

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Bumping this thread, as there’s a whole bunch of new previews and stuff of this… http://thefullbrightcompany.com/press/

I’m so excited about this game… it makes me think of an elongated portion of the DuClare chateau level in Deus Ex (one of my favourite moments in any game). Can’t wait!

On that subject,

... nostalgiacore.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

New trailer?

It’s a story-exploration videogame. A new definition for adventure game? Smile

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Just a reminder that this intriguing looking game is released today, 15th August - it can be purchased via the dev’s website:

http://thefullbrightcompany.com/

or Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/232430/

It’s available for PC, Mac and Linux.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

They say at Steam: “No Combat, No Puzzles: Gone Home is a nonviolent and puzzle-free experience, inviting you to play at your own pace without getting attacked, stuck, or frustrated. This house wants you to explore it.”

I’m curious. I think I’ll wait to someone who actually played the game to post something about it before I get it.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Apparently it unlocks on Steam in about 3 hours (from the time of this post).

I’m grabbing it straight away - I rarely agree with reviews so I’d rather play it and make up my own mind. Smile

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This is a wonderful game. AG’s review is forthcoming but until then you can read the preview here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top