• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Resonance

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Well, I guess I really ought to replay the game at some point to get a better perspective on the story, and to listen to the commentary. Smile

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

My thoughts:

Ed was a socially awkward character with an analytical approach to life (doesn’t believe in luck)& just the right person (or so they thought) for The Eleven Foundation to recruit to work for Morales in order to collect & pass them information about his research. (Ed had only worked for him for a few months) I don’t believe he was aware of the corrupt motives of TEF until he knew the potentials of Morales’ research, or about the existence of Antevorta until Ray turned up on the scene.

The fanatically humanistic but detached sides to his personality come out when he realises the huge benefits of Resonance to mankind & plans to kill Morales to prevent him from destroying his research. Meanwhile he starts to take the same subway route as Morales’ only heir Anna, possibly to get to know her but not plucking up the courage until the last journey (There are clues in the scene that it’s not the 1st time Ed’s seen her on that route) 

In the tunnel, knowing that Anna has to make the decision about the fate of the vault, Ed lies about his metal shoulder in the hope of getting Bennet’s gun but is also prepared with an implicating note to slip under ‘Uncle’s key’ for the same reason. (See him rushing to it in the scene). 

His pleas to Anna show that he doesn’t want to kill her but desperate to save the research feels he has no choice not knowing what button she’s about to press. Ed’s behaviour in confrontational situations was quite realistic, I thought, of an introverted person forced into them. It’s plain that Ed has a conscience about the people he’s killed but driven more by his obsessive ideals for the greater good.He wasn’t essentially a bad person.

I thought the details in the game gave enough information to be able to suss out the personalities & motives of each character & don’t agree they needed more depth.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

chrissie - 16 August 2012 07:21 AM

My thoughts:

I don’t believe he was aware of the corrupt motives of TEF until he knew the potentials of Morales’ research, or about the existence of Antevorta until Ray turned up on the scene.

So why was everything already in place for the big ZING! in his apartment when we first meet him? Before Dr. Morales calls him too. BTW, I guess Ed didn’t need to meet Anna until Dr. Morales told him about his intentions to destroy the research results.

I thought the details in the game gave enough information to be able to suss out the personalities & motives of each character & don’t agree they needed more depth.

I fully agree.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Fien - 16 August 2012 08:04 AM

So why was everything already in place for the big ZING! in his apartment when we first meet him? Before Dr. Morales calls him too. BTW, I guess Ed didn’t need to meet Anna until Dr. Morales told him about his intentions to destroy the research results.

Good question! Just a theory:Ed was accessing more information than Morales knew about to pass on to TEF. When Morales encrypted his entire journal & started storing his data & Resonance devices in his new vault Ed took the opportunity to steal a set when he could. While he was checking calculations & working on the possible applications for the technology he may have feared that destroying the research was something that the good Dr Morales might consider. So after Morales starts sleeping in his simulator Ed works out locations to place the Resonance devices & moves into the apartment but only kills Morales after his phone call. By then TEF have already got enough information for them or the corrupt politicians they were feeding it to, to build their own Resonance devices. Ed does say at the end that TEF used him if I’ve remembered rightly which is why I don’t think he knew about Antevorta before meeting Ray.

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I finished Resonance not long ago. Quite good adv. Smile
But thinking back it seems i’ve forget something, or maybe it wasn’t explained? My question is, how did Ed escape from the vault after Ray locked him in!? If I remember correctly, next scene was in the field and Bennet’s partner came.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

My guess is that Ed knew the location and the meaning of the secret vault before the actual searching for it, cause he is the one who placed the fake note from Morales. Maybe he knew some ways of getting in and out of the vault, so the only thing that he needed was Anna. Of course I may be missing something. Great game though. Goes directly to my top 10 of new era adventures along with Gemini Rue. Can’t wait for Primordia.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finally got this game from the GoG sale and played it through in a couple of nights. I found the difficulty very suitable for me, I consulted walkthrough twice and both of them were very stupid of me. First time I had not noticed you could walk past the nurse in ICU Shifty Eyed (I always get stuck with “missing screens”) and the second time I had already thought about the solution but forgot about it after trying out something else first.

Oh no, now I remember a third time, the phone call. I was always bad at these kinds of thick dialogue trees were you can go wrong a zillion times.

Some thoughts about things people mentioned in this thread earlier:

I collected all dreams and opened the journal but I don’t remember seeing a memory about the cypher. I guess I just never clicked it Grin. The cypher was ridiculously easy anyway, I just went through it right away “Dear Anna” was quite an obvious start.

I also thought about the automatic sharing but decided for immersion’s sake that the guys just met regularly on the baseball field to share their information. At first I did try sharing them myself but quickly noticed it wasn’t necessary.

The twist wasn’t so shocking to me, I tried all kinds of things to prevent it from happening. I tried to give the gun away as Ed, talked with everyone as everyone etc. I suspected Ed for a long time and the planted note was the final clue which completely sealed the thing for me. As Fien said he did often act suspiciously and lots of shady things really made complete sense when returning to the scenes.

I liked this game and Gemini Rue both very much. Maybe this one is slightly better, though Gemini Rue’s twist hit me harder Wink. I have to say that Wadjet-Eye Games seems to be a gold mine, Blackwell Series is also my favourite.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I find the dialogue quest in the end very well designed and not hard at all. Ed’s responses were quite logical and I was pretty sure about the wrong steps most of the time. Plus, you got a clue for this one Wink

My walkthrough peek was during the wire puzzle. and I read here that you can manage to go on without it but I never saw that option. I remember the two entrances, but my first go was with the window and after that I think I was unable to go through the main entrance because of the electricity. I might be wrong, though. So if anyone knows, tell me so I don’t have to dig in old savegames Smile

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

@Badlemon: To use the main entrance Bennett and Ed have to clear the debris *together*, and the electricity must be turned off. But you also have to turn off the electricity for the wire puzzle, which opens the other door. So using the main entrance is easier.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

badlemon - 24 September 2012 04:38 AM

I find the dialogue quest in the end very well designed and not hard at all. Ed’s responses were quite logical and I was pretty sure about the wrong steps most of the time. Plus, you got a clue for this one Wink

They might be somewhat logical and yes, the detective “tells you what to do” but they’re still annoying and not my kind of puzzles. Basically I tried it three-four times alternating with the different styles until I eventually had to use one of the three options that will make him hang up (nothing else was left). At that point I was pretty much feeling “fuck it” and just checked the correct options. I wasn’t really interested in listening to the same dialogue for 10 times.

There is another dialogue puzzle in the very end and it didn’t seem so obscure, though I already peeked a hint for it as I did the other ending and wanted to check at which point I had to do something else to get the other one. But all in all, one line does not really tell me all that the character is going to say and where the conversation might gravitate to. I’m not sure if you actually have to pick up the correct two or three lines in a perfect order or if there were several options (I would hope there is, otherwise those puzzles are kinda bad).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Damn, what a great game. I loved how it stayed with the four characters and didn’t lose focus. Everything felt logical, natural, and fluid. There were some tough challenges, but the process of working them out didn’t frustrate me. It was fun and rewarding!

I saw part of that twist coming (Ed wanting the Resonance technology and making Bennet look like a bad guy). I did not see the other part coming ([spoiler]Ed shooting Anna; after all she had been through, and she was the emotional center of the game; plus, I was really suspicious when Anna gave Ed a peck on the cheek before they went to the supercollider, and after she did so he put hit head down sadly :[[/spoiler]). That really affected me. It was a testament to the strength of the writing and characters.

Kudos to Vince Twelve and Wadjet Eye. Keep up the great work!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

inm8#2 - 15 January 2013 10:12 PM

I saw part of that twist coming (Ed wanting the Resonance technology and making Bennet look like a bad guy). I did not see the other part coming ([spoiler]Ed shooting Anna; after all she had been through, and she was the emotional center of the game; plus, I was really suspicious when Anna gave Ed a peck on the cheek before they went to the supercollider, and after she did so he put hit head down sadly :[[/spoiler]). That really affected me. It was a testament to the strength of the writing and characters.

The Scenies Academy approves. Tongue

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 15 January 2013 11:06 PM

The Scenies Academy approves. Tongue

SHAMELESS PLUG!!

LOL j/k, I forgot about your Scenies. When you first posted that I avoided the thread since I hadn’t played the game yet. But yea, I totally agree!

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Damn, what a great game. I loved how it stayed with the four characters and didn’t lose focus. Everything felt logical, natural, and fluid. There were some tough challenges, but the process of working them out didn’t frustrate me. It was fun and rewarding!

Yep, lovely game. Smile

About your spoiler. Yeah, me too. Such a nice touch. (See my post in this thread, #77.)

Looking forward to:

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Fien - 16 January 2013 08:11 AM

Yep, lovely game. Smile

About your spoiler. Yeah, me too. Such a nice touch. (See my post in this thread, #77.)

We thought alike! Yea, it was subtle but noticeable enough. Still didn’t prepare me for the devastation.

And what a coincidence that Resonance is in the current Indie Royale bundle!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top