• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Despite being absolutely swamped with work past month and a half and being able to play very little of anything, I wanted to add two other games to the AG list that I’m really looking forward to:

Road 96 which supposed to be a procedurally generated road trip adventure, and the trailer looks super exciting!

And

The Big Con which has been on my wishlist forever and is a “crime” adventure based on the 90s. As a 90s kid - I’m looking forward to lots of nostalgia.

Those go right along with

Almost My Floor, Twelve Minutes and non The First Warp from the video countdown that I’m also highly anticipating!
Hopefully, August will bring around some cool titles to have fun with as the summer is drawing to an end!

Anyone excited about the games from AG choices for the month or others we never heard of?

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

DCast - 11 June 2021 04:04 PM

Second one is completely different (but also awesome) -  The Rewinder

The Rewinder, interesting story and amazing art style Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I should visit this thread more often.

It smells like high hopes and freshly baked cookies.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am really intrigued about Twelve Minutes. I use to follow Spanish games and this one looks really good! I hope they can keep the interest with the loops and doesn’t become repetitive…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Me too! Most excited about Twelve Minutes. Very interesting and I don’t mind the inevitable repetition in this type of game. Comes with the Groundhog Day setup I always enjoy.

Also looking forward to Murder Mystery Machine , release date 25th of August. By the looks of it a fairly traditional who-dunnit but I like playing detective.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I am going through Steam catalogue and adding stuff to my wishlist. It’s amazing how much material there is that you don’t know about!

At the moment my wishlist has 1259 games.  Gasp

Even if we think that there’s maybe over a hundred that aren’t even remotely adventure games, there’s still a good number of released and to-be-released adventure games there.

To mention a few that got me very interested.

First: Romance After Dark.
WARNING! Not suitable for anywhere really.
Contains very obscene adult scenes.

“ROMANCE AFTER DARK is a noir blend of visual novel and adventure game experience. Play as Trevor, once successful private investigator and help him put his miserable life on the right track again. Use your detective hunch and interact with characters and objects.”

I am very interested in how they are going to combine what sounds and looks like relatively traditional murder mystery with all that adult content, like uncencored group sex scenes.

I don’t really play adult games, but I am interested in seeing if they can actually manage to make some kind of a hybrid game from all that. Like hardcore Basic Instinct on PC or whatever.

A very unique concept, which most likely will fail, but at least it’s something different.

And take that content warning seriously!

On a more… normal side of gaming, I just recently found out about a game called Warp Frontier. No release date yet.

“Vincent Cassini, decorated war hero, but still just a Captain in the police force he started, is patrolling the orbital slums of his home planet Cetus, when he stumbles across a lead in a war crime that resulted in the mysterious disappearance of thousands of Cetans, including his first wife and best friend. Captain Cassini and his robot partner MAC, must ally with morally questionable characters to stop an old enemy before their crimes are erased forever.

Players solve puzzles, in point and click adventure style, and navigate branching narratives to manage Vince’s relationships with his family, allies and enemies. Decisions players make in conversations and the order in which they undertake tasks result in outcomes that could cost the lives of thousands. Players actions ultimately decide what type of father, partner, friend, officer and saviour Vince will be.”

Looks like a very fascinating (see what I did there!) space adventure, and the name is obviously taken from a certain scifi franchise.

Last, but presumably not least: Unusual Findings.

“Three friends uncover mysteries in the 1980s. Follow their amazing adventures in a game where your decisions really matter. Be prepared to spin like a record on your incredible journey back to the era of synthesizers, VHS Rental stores, 8 bits games and evil alien conspiracies.”

I was already sold at “synthesizers, VHS Rental stores, 8 bits games and evil alien conspiracies”, but when the game has beautiful pixelarts where the protagonist looks like Marty McFly, and there are old movie and game posters all over the game world, can this game be anything less than perfection?  Thumbs Up

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Another one that I didn’t include in my previous post, because I heard about this just literally few minutes ago.

Bloody Cruise

“Bloody Cruise is an adventure game where you play as a vampire travelling on an airship. Your task is to find the traitor and try not to succumb to your dark urges. In this suspense story you will explore the airship, talk to colorful characters on board and decide their future.

Story:
An airship departs on the seven-day cruise carrying numerous passengers and crew members. One of these passengers is Jack — a vampire who must find the person who has betrayed a powerful vampire organization. As a vampire, Jack is nearly consumed with the thirst for blood — and only you can decide the fate of the characters he meets.”

I don’t know if the game will be good or not, but it’s certainly something that I don’t think has been done before.
A vampire detective on a zeppelin?
Count me interested!

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The Phantom Fellows

This one is interesting.
It seems to be a completely shameless rip-off which takes the visual style and paranormal investigating concept from the Darkside Detective, and the ghostly sidekick thing from the Blackwell series.

“The Phantom Fellows is about two best friends who start a paranormal investigation business together, since one of them is already dead.”

Considering that both mentioned game series were good, can this game turn out to be bad?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

DCast - 03 August 2021 06:47 AM

... Those go right along with

Almost My Floor, Twelve Minutes and non The First Warp from the video countdown that I’m also highly anticipating!
Hopefully, August will bring around some cool titles to have fun with as the summer is drawing to an end!

Anyone excited about the games from AG choices for the month or others we never heard of?

Glad to finally be able to tell you that non The First Warp is finally out!

Thanks for bringing attention to it!

*edit: Also running a dedicated thread here on AG.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GateKeeper - 12 August 2021 09:32 AM

The Phantom Fellows

This one is interesting.
It seems to be a completely shameless rip-off which takes the visual style and paranormal investigating concept from the Darkside Detective, and the ghostly sidekick thing from the Blackwell series.

“The Phantom Fellows is about two best friends who start a paranormal investigation business together, since one of them is already dead.”

Considering that both mentioned game series were good, can this game turn out to be bad?

It’s also a straight steal from an old British TV series called Randall & Hopkirk Deceased.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

HORROR TALES: The Astronaut

“You wake up in the space station among floating Debris. You see a strange shadow moving in the distance. Explore a destroyed space station and other space structures in a mysterious horror adventure full of paranoia and puzzles to solve.”

This sounds like the best possible setting for a good adventure, at least if anyone asks me. My excitement is somewhat limited by the fact that it seems to be a first person perspective game. It can still be good though.

A bigger problem is that it’s part of a series where the concept of horror stays, and only situations and settings change. So they haven’t started the game from the space theme, but horror theme which may or may not affect the experience.

Some things in the description got me very confused though, like “players experience terror directly in first person while they solve environmental puzzles (including physics-based puzzles and 0 gravity puzzles) in an interconnected space station with a metroidvania style level design”.

How on earth (heh!) is “metroidvania style level design” going to work in a first person adventure game, where you are apparently moving in microgravity?!?  Gasp

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 13 August 2021 04:04 AM

How on earth (heh!) is “metroidvania style level design” going to work in a first person adventure game, where you are apparently moving in microgravity?!?  Gasp

Forgive my ignorance - i’m by no means an expert on the topic - but aren’t most adventures games “metroidvania style” anyway? If you replace all the big bosses with locked doors or screws which you need to backtrack and find a key or a screwdriver or some other item, I see the basic formula as being very similar.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Luhr28 - 13 August 2021 05:06 AM
GateKeeper - 13 August 2021 04:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance - i’m by no means an expert on the topic - but aren’t most adventures games “metroidvania style” anyway? If you replace all the big bosses with locked doors or screws which you need to backtrack and find a key or a screwdriver or some other item, I see the basic formula as being very similar.

I suppose that depends entirely on which definition you go with.

From Wikipedia:

“Typically based on two-dimensional, sidescrolling platform gameplay, Metroidvania games feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons, abilities, or knowledge within the game.”

So which parts do we pick from that?
“The world is often limited by doors or other obstacles” describes at least 999 adventure games out of 1.000, but what at least to me is the most descriptive thing about those kind of games is “two-dimensional, sidescrolling platform gameplay”.

That’s why I have difficulties imagining how that describes a 3D third person adventure game. Especially as it’s in space, if there are any “walls” or “platforms” there, you should be able to just float over them, because of microgravity.

The other definition, like closed doors and all, is certainly possible too, but then why mention Metroidvania at all, because they could pick any more similar adventure game and call it that.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There’s an inventory in metroidvania games, they are not much different from adventures regarding locked doors or other inventory puzzles. It’s usually some sort of device or special ability that, once aquired, could be used to overcome various - previously non-responsive or unreachable - parts of the world or to upgrade weapons/powers.

Speaking of adventure games, I can actually think of similar concepts. For example, in Voyage by Kheops Studio (and probably some other games I forgot) you can explore the moon at your pleasure, solving puzzles and trying to communicate with unfriendly aliens, but you won’t be able to finish the game unless you learn their language. Once you learn it, you can talk to them and read alien books/messages to get useful information on how various machines work, how to mix potions, etc. And this worked fine in a first-person game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

GateKeeper - 11 August 2021 05:19 AM

On a more… normal side of gaming, I just recently found out about a game called Warp Frontier. No release date yet.

“Vincent Cassini, decorated war hero, but still just a Captain in the police force he started, is patrolling the orbital slums of his home planet Cetus, when he stumbles across a lead in a war crime that resulted in the mysterious disappearance of thousands of Cetans, including his first wife and best friend. Captain Cassini and his robot partner MAC, must ally with morally questionable characters to stop an old enemy before their crimes are erased forever.

Players solve puzzles, in point and click adventure style, and navigate branching narratives to manage Vince’s relationships with his family, allies and enemies. Decisions players make in conversations and the order in which they undertake tasks result in outcomes that could cost the lives of thousands. Players actions ultimately decide what type of father, partner, friend, officer and saviour Vince will be.”

Currently beta-testing this game. It’s a pretty smooth experience already, the creator has a good eye for detail and I can tell this game is probably going to give sci-fi fans what they want in spades. Strong recommendation so far.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top