• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Microsoft Buys Activision-Blizzard

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

What are your thoughts? Good? Bad?
For me personally, I see the consolidation in the console space as bad for the consumer, as it can lead to monopoly and increased prices as well as decline in quality.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

SoccerDude - 18 January 2022 08:55 PM

[Deleted]

This would actually be a fun thread, as Microsoft has said several Activision adventure game IPs like Kings Quest could be resurrected. They are checking what they bought and we could see some resurrections. Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Adv_Lvr - 31 January 2022 02:30 PM

[Deleted]

This would actually be a fun thread, as Microsoft has said several Activision adventure game IPs like Kings Quest could be resurrected. They are checking what they bought and we could see some resurrections. Heart

I am skeptical to be honest. I am wary about the consolidation happening in the video games market(MS buying Activision/ Bethesda) and Sony just yesterday announcing they are buying Bungie. Microsoft is displaying monopolistic tendencies in the market, and the less choices of publishers we have, the worse it is for us consumers. I hope the FTC would disallow the purchase, but seeing their track record, I am not too optimistic.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

SoccerDude - 02 February 2022 04:47 AM

[Deleted]

I am skeptical to be honest. I am wary about the consolidation happening in the video games market(MS buying Activision/ Bethesda) and Sony just yesterday announcing they are buying Bungie. Microsoft is displaying monopolistic tendencies in the market, and the less choices of publishers we have, the worse it is for us consumers. I hope the FTC would disallow the purchase, but seeing their track record, I am not too optimistic.

You should remove the delete from your first post. You could loose your whole thread. For the PC, this all means nothing. But this is huge for console gaming, because major IPs are going to be Xbox or PSX.

I suppose for lots of people, they will just own both going forward. The Xbox will have huge sales this generation. Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Adv_Lvr - 02 February 2022 02:20 PM
SoccerDude - 02 February 2022 04:47 AM

[Deleted]

You should remove the delete from your first post. You could loose your whole thread. For the PC, this all means nothing. But this is huge for console gaming, because major IPs are going to be Xbox or PSX.

I suppose for lots of people, they will just own both going forward. The Xbox will have huge sales this generation. Heart

My fear is that Sony will not be able to keep up, and be forced out of the console race all together. Activision was a huge deal for Sony as they had close partnership with them with regards to the Call of Duty franchise. To put things in perspective, Bethesda has as many developers as all of Sony world wide studios, and the price of Activision is a little less than half the market cap of Sony corp(Not only Playstation, but Playstation, Sony Movies, Music, Electronics and everything).

Then we will have a future where Microsoft is the only dominant force, and then who is to say that they can’t jack up the Gamepass price to $100 for example? Or that they won’t stop innovating?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude - 04 February 2022 01:43 AM

Then we will have a future where Microsoft is the only dominant force, and then who is to say that they can’t jack up the Gamepass price to $100 for example? Or that they won’t stop innovating?

Then people will stop buying from them and the indie scene will explode. It’ll balance out in the end.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TimovieMan - 04 February 2022 03:14 AM
SoccerDude - 04 February 2022 01:43 AM

Then people will stop buying from them and the indie scene will explode. It’ll balance out in the end.

You don’t want Microsoft as the only console maker, trust me. Recall when they weren’t going to allow the Xbox to play used games? Yea, they do that kind of stuff.

I don’t think Xbox will ever be the only game in town, but in the future they will be way more popular, especially in North America.

Sony buying Bungee was a good move, Sony will be doing more of that. We could also see a Nintendo/Sony alliance if things get bad for both companies.

Heart

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It’s good news for Xbox games pass subscribers

Bad news for gaming industry overall

EA are a good example of how they’ve destroyed and swallowed up some smaller great agencies that once made great games.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Eye-Z - 31 March 2022 06:14 PM

It’s good news for Xbox games pass subscribers

Bad news for gaming industry overall

EA are a good example of how they’ve destroyed and swallowed up some smaller great agencies that once made great games.

Makes you want to buy an Xbox, I’m actually thinking about it.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top