• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Phoenix Springs: Prologue out now!

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Dear adventurers,

we’re proud to announce that you can now play the first 20-40 mins of the upcoming mystery adventure game Phoenix Springs.
The Prologue is now available for free on Steam and itch.io

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2390140/Phoenix_Springs_Prologue/

https://calligram.itch.io/phoenix-springs-prologue

It’s been a long, long road to get there (I think I last posted on this forum about 3 years ago?) – but I really hope the community enjoys playing it. We wanted to offer a “try before you buy” kinda deal with this prologue, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Florian, Alex and Eleanor (Calligram)

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

What a coincidence! I just wrote about this prologue in our dedicated demo thread (just a few threads below this one), a few hours before you posted this. In short - I loved it and hope more people get to experience it and share what they thought.

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Nice! Just read the demo thread so thank you so much for the kind words, and glad to hear you enjoyed it.
The feedback we’ve gotten so far has been fantastic. I’ll admit the puzzles to can be on the difficult side, but it seems that proper adventure game players are up for the challenge Wink

I’d just point out that, sadly, we had nothing to do with Firewatch (although I played it to death).

For anyone who can’t be bothered to play, there’s a little playthrough from Alpha Betar Gamer here:

I wasn’t familiar with that YouTube channel, but it’s a great resource to find cool games that might fall under the radar. Not strictly adventure games, though.

Lastly, if anyone reading this enjoys the prologue, a short Steam review is the best way to support development. We’re mostly relying on word of mouth, and having more Steam recommendations helps boost visibility in the store.

Thanks so much again to everyone here.

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Thanks for correcting me on Firewatch matter. I dug some more, and realized that I confused it with “In Valley Of Gods” by Campo Santo studios that not only have been in development forever, but now, after “coming soon” hanging on Steam for years has ‘December 2029” as a release date. LOL.

Good luck to your team, looking forward to the full game!

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Interesting demo.

Really like the voice acting. Feels really determined, but in a measured way.

Style is interesting. I do like, but maybe it feels like too much stylized to me? Kinda hard to describe, and maybe being more restrained about it wouldn’t actually turn out better, but, yeah, didn’t entirely convince me.

Puzzles felt a lot like “run around to find that thing”; mainly about finding the thing, not so much about figuring out anything. I assume since this is meant to be a small prologue it wasn’t meant to be challenging or anything, but these days there’s never a guarantee that there’s actually a nice difficulty curve as the game progresses - too often it just stays flat - so I’m skeptical about this aspect.
And having to click the tiny head and not having a hot spot highlight isn’t fantastic UI design:
“frustration-free controls and a streamlined UI”
You know that just saying something doesn’t make it true, right? Wink

But I think the biggest problem I had with the Prologue was just ... I didn’t really care about what I was trying to achieve. I’m searching for some brother I know nothing about; that I’ve never seen, that I got no clue why I should find (or why I don’t know where he is in the first place) etc. It’s all so ... eh.
I guess it’s just the Prologue and the full story seems to be about a different thing (in a way), but the description of that already is basically ... nothing. No hint of tension, or of any sort of stakes, nor anything really. Just “this is immersive and there’s a mystery. Trust us, bro”.

Possibly sounds more negative than I think it is. Just didn’t find it entirely convincing, is all.

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hey Pyoro-2 - thanks for the feedback!

Re: inventory UI – a few people have asked for a right-click option, which is now implemented.

As for the rest, sorry to hear it didn’t grip you. At least I’m glad to hear that the demo works as intended. Players who don’t dig straight away can try something else. Either way, thanks for playing!

(And there is a big story twist just around the corner, trust us bro Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top