• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite RPGs

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

It’s been a while since I last played a RPG and I’m starting to look around for options, even if they end up on a “save for later” wishlist.

I’d prefer not to wade through huge lists, so maybe give your top 3?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I love JRPGs so i will do western and Japanese.

Japanese

1. Persona 5

2. Skies of arcadia

3. Grandia 2

4. Cold steel series

5. FF7 remake was fun

Western

1. Witcher 2

2. Mass Effect series, warts and all

3. Star wars jedi fallen order. Its a Rpg/metroid game hybrid.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Not a genre I’ve had much time for for many years, but I used to really dig these back in the PS1/PS2 days.

JRPG’s:

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I prefer Chrono Cross (one of my favorite games, period), but both are fantastic.

Dragon Quest XI - A really feel good adventure that also has some very serious moments. Wonderful cast of characters.

I also really enjoyed DQ IV, VI, and VIII.

Lunar Silver Star Saga Complete (the PS1 version)
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (I adore them both, but I actually think this one is superior).
This is pure old fashioned JRPG goodness. Lighthearted but still with a sense of importance to the proceedings. Lunar 1 is more of a traditional hero’s journey that flourishes on its charm and the strength of its characters (good and evil and in between). Lunar 2 is a little less conventional, and the charm and characters are just as strong.

Grandia 1 (PS1, also now on Switch) and Grandia 2 (on Dreamcast and Switch).
These are such charming games. They do the coming of age story from the perspective of an enthusiastic, happy kid—as opposed to the Final Fantasy paradigm of troubled youth protagonists.

Suikoden 1, 2, and 3. You mostly hear about how great number 2 is, but 1 and 3 are also fantastic.

Xenosaga - This is probably the only 40+ hour game I ever beat in a week. I’m not sure I’d have patience for it today, but it was absolutely gripping back then. I regret not going on and playing II and III. The story and characters were so out there, it was just a joy to get swept away and see what crazy thing would happen next.

Xenogears - The precursor to Xenosaga, but really not connected. Hard to recommend this one because the second disc is 80% exposition (time and budget constraints), but when it was good it was very very good. This game goes so many places, thematically and location-wise, it’s almost unfathomably ambitious.

Western:

Disco Elysium - But you probably know about this one already.

Planescape Torment

Knights of the Old Republic

Jade Empire—this one is really underrated nowadays, I think. It was very well received when it came out, but now it’s like the black sheep of the Bioware family. I think it’s right up there with the rest of their games.

Fable - This was a disappointment to some people, but since I hadn’t really been on board the hype train for all those years, I was able to enjoy it for what it was when it finally came out, and I really really really enjoyed it.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 September 2022 05:38 PM

Grandia 1 (PS1, also now on Switch) and Grandia 2 (on Dreamcast and Switch).
These are such charming games. They do the coming of age story from the perspective of an enthusiastic, happy kid—as opposed to the Final Fantasy paradigm of troubled youth protagonists.

Grandia 2 protagonist was not happy at all.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

Witcher 3
Dragon Age Inquisition
Mass Effect 1 - 3
Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 September 2022 05:38 PM

Disco Elysium - But you probably know about this one already.

I just wanted to say thanks for persisting with the DE recommendations. I’ve just finished it and it’s become one of my favorite - if not favorite - RPGs.

It definitely took a while to get the hang of it, because it’s so different in that you’re not trying to be *the hero* (unless you want to). That alone sets it apart from pretty much all RPGs, and combined with the fact you can’t really fail, allowing you to take up the role you’ve assigned yourself to play and be the character you want to be. I’m pretty sure there hasn’t ever been a game which allows you to discover and explore your self as a character and as a player so extensively.

That, combined with the writing, and sheer personality of the game, well.. it’s just brilliant.

(part of the reason I’ve written this is because if I’d read something like this rather than the dozens of “it’s really dark” reviews, then I’d have given it a chance much earlier)

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

jilit - 19 August 2023 04:44 PM

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is my best RPG game I’ve ever played.

In retrospect it has become my fav RPG as well.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2023-08-11

PM

#1 Looking Glass Studios’ Ultima: Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. (Its sequel is excellent too.)

Basically there are so many special cases covered (insane programmers!) that pretty much anything you can think of to do—you can do. The spell system is straightforward—but it’s the spells themselves that are super fun. More non-combat spells than you’ll find in other CRPG’s too, which is neat. And a brilliant megadungeon to explore—with cool characters to meet and the excellent dialogs we came to expect from LGS, all the way to Thief: The Dark Project, another classic Looking Glass game.

#2 would have to be Morrowind.

Big world to explore and yada yada. And it is, and it’s great. And really unique-looking. But the reasons I got hooked were the insanely cool item enchantment and potion creation systems. Just nuts, and a great way to unbalance the game too. There’s one item you can make fairly quickly and it, and it’s more powerful versions, will take you all the way. Do you know what it is?

#3, for me, has got to be The Elder Scrolls: Arena. A huge world so large it includes Morrowind. But what you come for is the gorgeous Bernard Herrmann-like music and—wait for it—actual dig spells in a 3D game. Blocked by a riddle door? Can’t solve the riddlle required to open it? Bah. Just tunnel underneath it. Great game!

After that: Chrono Trigger, Pool of Radiance (gold box), Temple of Elemental Evil (so underrated and underappreciated!), and System Shock 1.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top