• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games on Steam’s Greenlight

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Monolith - 15 October 2012 04:02 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 October 2012 02:12 AM
Monolith - 15 October 2012 01:50 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 October 2012 11:08 PM

I would never search randomly through Greenlight. I see no problem with the links to various projects of interest.

I would. I might see a game that deserves a vote that isn’t in our narrow minded view. We complain about people not noticing adventures, yet we are falling for the same issue at hand.

I may be misunderstanding you, but you seem to take it like some sort of insult that I don’t spend my time randomly searching through a big database of games and I don’t understand why that is. I simply stated I didn’t mind people posting links to projects without including an essay about each link to seem enthusiastic enough.

And I really don’t get why you’re trying to seemingly guilt trip me and others into sifting through Greenlight. I don’t care if the general public take much notice of adventures and I don’t get why it’s somehow my responsibility to look up a certain amount of indie games from other genres so I can say I’m an enlightened and diversified gamer - and not some “narrow minded” adventure gamer.

Don’t put narrow minded in quotes. Does it not describe a person who looks at one small area and call it a day narrow minded?

Your loss if you miss out on seeing something that might interest you that may or may not coincide with the other people of these forums.

I don’t understand your way of thinking. So I can play a wide variety of games in all kinds of genres… but if I don’t constantly browse indie portals I’m narrow minded? It’s not even that I don’t try out various indie games every now and then, but you’re right, I didn’t dig around Steam Greenlight to discover them myself, what a fool I was!

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Don’t put narrow minded in quotes. Does it not describe a person who looks at one small area and call it a day narrow minded?

Your loss if you miss out on seeing something that might interest you that may or may not coincide with the other people of these forums.

Except this thread is posted in the “Adventure”-subforum of a site that’s called “AdventureGamers”. We have every right to have a “focused” Greenlight-thread that highlights only the adventure games on there.

After all, that’s what most people on these forums (and especially this specific subforum) are more interested in.

If you think it’s such a big deal that we’re only “focusing” (see how I DON’T use the derogatory term “narrow minded”) on adventure games, feel free to start a NEW Greenlight thread in the “General” subforum.

But please stop derailing this thread here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

@Monolith

Just wanted to check i’m not misunderstanding you. Were you saying that only looking at adventure games is narrow minded, or only looking at the games highlighted in this thread is narrow-minded? I wasn’t sure and thought the discussion above might be at cross purposes?

No it doesn’t.

Like many people here (I suppose), although Adventure Games are my favourite genre, I like games in other genres too. However, there are some genres which simply do not interest me such as shooters. Therefore it doesn’t matter to me how good any other FPS is, there is no reason for me to check the new COD or Battlefield or indie FPS offering out because I dislike the whole idea of the genre.

The word therefore is “discerning”, or as Tim says above, “focused”.

“Narrow-minded” carries connotations of intolerance or an unwillingnes to even consider other points of view.

In my FPS example above, I have no problem with other people liking and playing FPS games and voting for them on greenlight. However, I have no desire to do so and will just look at games that I might like rather than ones I know I won’t on the basis of my previous experience of the genre.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

New batch of titles should be announced today. I really hope Cognition makes it.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Everyone is misunderstanding me. Of course this thread is for adventures. I was pointing out that anyone who complains about adventures not being noticed, then don’t be disappointed that you’re doing the same thing. I never said we should post anything but adventures here. I just said if you’re on the greenlight page, explore. You’ll find something.

Narrow minded is the best description because the same people that do it complain about things not getting noticed.

In the end, all I said is ‘EXPLORE’. Narrow minded isn’t a poor choice of words. It perfectly describes a person with a narrow view. Its not a bad word.

“I would never search randomly through Greenlight. I see no problem with the links to various projects of interest.”

A quote with the intentions of a person writing off the purpose of Greenlight. Perfect example of narrow-minded.

Back on topic. Geez.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Sorry, TimovieMan, last post on the matter!

@Monolith: The problem is that you’re making a big fuzz out of nothing and putting everyone in a booth that they don’t necessarily belong in.

I was simply replying to a previous post that I liked getting linked to projects on Greenlight as I don’t visit the site. Then you started ranting about how narrow minded that was. Why is that?

Like everyone else I have to manage my time, and browsing randomly through greenlight isn’t something I want to spend time doing, but that doesn’t necessarily make me narrow minded or make me the type of person that whines about adventures not getting enough exposure. I don’t see where I’ve ever said that was the case.

I get my share of news regarding upcoming games from other sources than greenlight directly. I prefer to read up on only the best of the best games that gets highlighted other places, instead of sifting through the database myself. Again, I don’t get why that makes me narrow minded.

Your whole problem seems to be, that you’re completely obsessing over greenlight, and if other people aren’t doing the same then they’re clearly in the wrong.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Oh thank you Steam Greenlight for bringing games like Postal 2 to mass audiences!!1

Now without the sarcasm:

The closest to adventures approved today are Contrast, The Intruder, Miasmata and The Stanley Parable. Still no “classic” adventures, although you may be happy (or not) to hear that Asylum is now a Top 20 title.

That will be all. Feel free proceed with the flamewar.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Contrast looks really interesting. Haven’t really taken much notice of the other titles, though.

Oh, and I wouldn’t really call it a flamewar. It’s not like I’m calling Monolith a piece of shit for having a differing view. We’re just having an argument! :-)

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Agustín Cordes - 15 October 2012 04:01 PM

Oh thank you Steam Greenlight for bringing games like Postal 2 to mass audiences!!1

Now without the sarcasm:

The closest to adventures approved today are Contrast, The Intruder, Miasmata and The Stanley Parable. Still no “classic” adventures, although you may be happy (or not) to hear that Asylum is now a Top 20 title.

That will be all. Feel free proceed with the flamewar.

That’s great news, congratulations. So hopefully Asylum will be greenlight by the end of the year.

Cognition should hopefully be close, too. And it seems from other forums that many people are interested in Gray Matter.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 October 2012 04:11 PM

Contrast looks really interesting. Haven’t really taken much notice of the other titles, though.

Oh, and I wouldn’t really call it a flamewar. It’s not like I’m calling Monolith a piece of shit for having a differing view. We’re just having an argument! :-)

Exactly. lol

In relation to the announcement. I’m glad Stanley Parable got greenlit. Best out of the bunch. I don’t see why this wouldn’t even be looked forward to on these forums.

Interstellar Marines, hell yes. Looking forward to that for some time.

Lost Story. Cool, a mod/game that documents the seven hour war in Half-Life. Grin So cool.

Cry of Fear. Good, great scary mod.

Neotokyo, never played but its production values are great and the gameplay is beautiful.

Contrast, great to see it pushed to the next level!

W00t! Perpetuum was greenlit. Always wanted to play it. Grin

Secrets of Grindea looked like fun. Grin

Miasmata, to be expected.

Octodad! YAY!

Giana Sisters looks like some gorgeous fun.

The intruder. Always great to see traditional adventure horror adventure games. Grin

Okay, great list. So many great games greenlit. Grin

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

inm8#2 - 15 October 2012 05:20 PM

That’s great news, congratulations. So hopefully Asylum will be greenlight by the end of the year.

Cognition should hopefully be close, too. And it seems from other forums that many people are interested in Gray Matter.

Judging by the rate of comments (the only stat we can see for now), I don’t think Gray Matter is doing that well. Which sucks.

It’s likely we’ll be seeing Cradle and Cognition in the upcoming batch, so the presence of classic adventures would be much stronger. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 5058

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 October 2012 02:12 AM
Monolith - 15 October 2012 01:50 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 October 2012 11:08 PM

I would never search randomly through Greenlight. I see no problem with the links to various projects of interest.

I would. I might see a game that deserves a vote that isn’t in our narrow minded view. We complain about people not noticing adventures, yet we are falling for the same issue at hand.

I may be misunderstanding you, but you seem to take it like some sort of insult that I don’t spend my time randomly searching through a big database of games and I don’t understand why that is. I simply stated I didn’t mind people posting links to projects without including an essay about each link to seem enthusiastic enough.

And I really don’t get why you’re trying to seemingly guilt trip me and others into sifting through Greenlight. I don’t care if the general public take much notice of adventures and I don’t get why it’s somehow my responsibility to look up a certain amount of indie games from other genres so I can say I’m an enlightened and diversified gamer - and not some “narrow minded” adventure gamer.

Not sure I understand this either. Are you saying you would rather click on links posted here, that usually pose no background information, than go directly to the source? And if “I don’t care if the general public take much notice of adventures” why are you here? We are the general public.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

rtrooney - 15 October 2012 08:40 PM

We are the general public.

Really? I guess I would have thought that we, by being here, represented a smaller subset of the “general public” that is already interested in adventure games. We are a PART of the general public, but then, so is everybody I would assume. As far as our interest in adventure games goes, I would say we who frequent this site are far from representative of “the general public” at large…

Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding the use of the term “the general public” by one or more of the other posters here. That’s certainly possible.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Some of the posts complaining about the purpose of this thread are ridiculous and borderline mental, stirring up argument for the sake of stirring up argument.

The point is that everyone encounters adventure games on greenlight in different ways - browsing greenlight, reading other forums, news articles on other sites, etc. Not everyone has time to search 800+ games. But anyone who comes across adventure games they think worth sharing, they post the link in there. Other members can then click on that link, view the game, and decide whether to vote for it or not.

This is how social-/crowd-based campaigns work. I fail to see why this process is a point of contention. That some would have a problem with this befuddles me.

Can we talk about adventure games on greenlight now? Or is that too much to ask for a thread called “Adventure games on Steam’s Greenlight”? From not too long ago:

TimovieMan - 15 October 2012 06:24 AM

If you think it’s such a big deal that we’re only “focusing” (see how I DON’T use the derogatory term “narrow minded”) on adventure games, feel free to start a NEW Greenlight thread in the “General” subforum.

But please stop derailing this thread here.

Total Posts: 5058

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Mister Ed - 15 October 2012 08:50 PM
rtrooney - 15 October 2012 08:40 PM

We are the general public.

Really? I guess I would have thought that we, by being here, represented a smaller subset of the “general public” that is already interested in adventure games. We are a PART of the general public, but then, so is everybody I would assume. As far as our interest in adventure games goes, I would say we who frequent this site are far from representative of “the general public” at large…

Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding the use of the term “the general public” by one or more of the other posters here. That’s certainly possible.

?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top