• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Agent A: A puzzle in diguise review.

Total Posts: 1272

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Now I am curious for playing this game. I translated Emerald City Confidential and I had a great time playing it. Casual game? If it is as entertaining as Emerald City Confidential, I’m in!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I played Agent A some years back and enjoyed it until I had to break out of a room moving, if I remember correctly, some lights/lasers or something similar but got completely bored and quit the game. Had enjoyed it up until then though.
I’m definitely in the camp that considers it as a casual game although I think of it in the genre of “advanced casual” - a genre I’ve just created Tongue

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jabod - 22 April 2024 05:01 AM

I played Agent A some years back and enjoyed it until I had to break out of a room moving, if I remember correctly, some lights/lasers or something similar but got completely bored and quit the game. Had enjoyed it up until then though.
I’m definitely in the camp that considers it as a casual game although I think of it in the genre of “advanced casual” - a genre I’ve just created Tongue

I think that’s chapter 3 or 4 and yeah that’s the part that is most like an escape room. I enjoyed the puzzles in there immensely so that did not bother me. The next chapter is the weakest in my opinion and it’s the one that has the least amount of Logic box puzzles, instead it has a lot of inventory puzzles that are not hard at all, but there is constant backtracking through the 10 or so screens, back and forth. That’s when the game becomes a lot like a traditional point and click adventure game. For example combining items, like a hose and a gas can to siphon gas etc…

I wonder if your opinion would change then of the game and the genre if you played the last two chapters.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Great new category! Please tell me, does it include HOGs? I would like to label the aforementioned 13th Skull and Escape from Ravenhearst as Advanced Casuals because of the high quality, over-the-top FMV and some good, hard puzzles. But what about the HOGs…?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 April 2024 06:29 AM

I think that’s chapter 3 or 4 and yeah that’s the part that is most like an escape room. I enjoyed the puzzles in there immensely so that did not bother me. The next chapter is the weakest in my opinion and it’s the one that has the least amount of Logic box puzzles, instead it has a lot of inventory puzzles that are not hard at all, but there is constant backtracking through the 10 or so screens, back and forth. That’s when the game becomes a lot like a traditional point and click adventure game. For example combining items, like a hose and a gas can to siphon gas etc…

I wonder if your opinion would change then of the game and the genre if you played the last two chapters.

It would be nice to complete it but it wouldn’t change my view of how I categorise the game - I wouldn’t try to change your opinion either. Your view is your view.

Karlok - 22 April 2024 07:47 AM

Great new category! Please tell me, does it include HOGs? I would like to label the aforementioned 13th Skull and Escape from Ravenhearst as Advanced Casuals because of the high quality, over-the-top FMV and some good, hard puzzles. But what about the HOGs…?

HOGs are difficult I’m afraid Karlok. Some would definitely be there:

True Fear: Forsaken Souls (Parts 1 and 2. Part three (should be out this year) definitely as well).
House Of 1,000 Doors (all but the final one which belongs in the genre “garbage”)
Enigmatis Trilogy
Lost Lands Series
Secret Order Series

There’s probably more but those I’d definitely put in the “advanced casual” genre. Tim Rooney could no doubt add more – assuming he accepts the idea of the genre of course Smile

Ravenhearst I’m not sure about. I know I have a number in my Steam account but I quit the series quite early on but can’t remember why. Perhaps a revisit is in order.

There are others that would, of course, have no relationship to the genre whatsoever. But, people being what they are, I bet we could have an argument or two there as well.  Laughing

Life is what it is.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I’m all for your new genre then because if there are more games like agent a that is great, bc I can play them with my wife, but if they’re walking simulators, qte events, or just dialogue driven with no other types of gameplay, than that is pure casual to me and I have no interest in those.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 April 2024 12:25 PM

I’m all for your new genre then because if there are more games like agent a that is great, bc I can play them with my wife, but if they’re walking simulators, qte events, or just dialogue driven with no other types of gameplay, than that is pure casual to me and I have no interest in those.

Depends on your view of HOG screens Jdawg. I don’t mind them when they integrate into the storyline reasonably well (that’s true of the Forsaken Souls games and pretty much true for the others I’ve listed) but they irritate me, and I suspect will you, when they bear no resemblance as to how the story is proceeding. No one game gets it completely right of course but quite a number aren’t too bad at all.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jabod - 22 April 2024 12:58 PM
Jdawg445 - 22 April 2024 12:25 PM

Depends on your view of HOG screens Jdawg. I don’t mind them when they integrate into the storyline reasonably well (that’s true of the Forsaken Souls games and pretty much true for the others I’ve listed) but they irritate me, and I suspect will you, when they bear no resemblance as to how the story is proceeding. No one game gets it completely right of course but quite a number aren’t too bad at all.

I have a feeling I will hate most of them so never mind lol

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 22 April 2024 10:19 AM

True Fear: Forsaken Souls (Parts 1 and 2. Part three (should be out this year) definitely as well).
House Of 1,000 Doors (all but the final one which belongs in the genre “garbage”)
Enigmatis Trilogy
Lost Lands Series
Secret Order Series

Tim Rooney could no doubt add more – assuming he accepts the idea of the genre of course Smile

I would certainly add the Drawn Trilogy to the list.

Somewhere, and I can’t find it, I created a Top 10 or Top 20 list of the best casuals. It probably needs reviewing/updating. But both Enigmatis and Drawn trilogies are on it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I’ve seen it described as an “escape room game”, which I personally found an interesting concept. Given that p&cs; tend to 99% be about “breaking into” the next location Wink

Anyway, it’s a charming little adventure. Unfortunately the dev studio is tiny and doesn’t work quickly. So although they sorta teased a potential future sequel of some type in the future there’s nothing on the horizon any time soon.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Pyoro-2 - 24 April 2024 07:36 AM

Unfortunately the dev studio is tiny and doesn’t work quickly. So although they sorta teased a potential future sequel of some type in the future there’s nothing on the horizon any time soon.

A couple of years later they released Down in Bermuda. Not a sequel. I didn’t like it. This game firmly belongs in the catagory Casual. Collecting stars and other boring stuff is nobody’s idea of an adventure game.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 24 April 2024 12:49 PM
Pyoro-2 - 24 April 2024 07:36 AM

Unfortunately the dev studio is tiny and doesn’t work quickly. So although they sorta teased a potential future sequel of some type in the future there’s nothing on the horizon any time soon.

A couple of years later they released Down in Bermuda. Not a sequel. I didn’t like it. This game firmly belongs in the catagory Casual. Collecting stars and other boring stuff is nobody’s idea of an adventure game.

Collecting Stars sounds like a Mario clone WHOOOO HOOO it’s Ame Mario

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2024 02:10 PM

Somewhere, and I can’t find it, I created a Top 10 or Top 20 list of the best casuals. It probably needs reviewing/updating. But both Enigmatis and Drawn trilogies are on it.

I found it. The thread was less than two pages long, but you ought to be able to find at least 20 titles if you are looking for a place to start.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9339/

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I took apart, and recombined the various lists. This is the list that resulted. There are several games that I could add, Penumbra Motel being one. But while they qualify as adventure-lite, I didn’t think the quality made them deserving. Others may have differing opinions.

Drawn Trilogy - I recommend playing these games in sequence. The ending of the third game will stun you.

Emerald City Confidential - There is debate as to whether this is adventure-lite or casual. I think of it as casual, as did the creator. Who am I to argue.

Enigmatis Trilogy - I suggest these be played in sequence, if only to enjoy the development of the game’s complexity. You really need to buy the CE version of Enigmatis 3. This was the first game to use the Spark hidden object engine. Thus, the first game might have more hidden object scenes that I like. The second and thir games have far fewer, and they are well integrated into the plot..

Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can - Great plot. Lots of controversy during the playthrough. Opening scene is one of the best cut scenes I’ve ever seen, regardless of genre. There are some hidden object scenes, but all are tighly indegrated to the game’s plot.

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove - A supernatural thriller. Very atmospheric tale set in a North woods-style town. Part of the story is held together by a series of hand-held video tapes similar in style to those used in some relatively recent horror movies. Some hidden object scenes, but the quality/difficulty of the puzzles easily takes it into Adventure-lite territory.

Royal Trouble Series – Comedy with a satiric edge infuses this fairy-tale-like story, which starts out in a dungeon, moves on to a castle, and just gets pleasantly dafter as the series progresses. Whimsical music. Good voice-overs by the narrator (though the main characters aren’t voiced). Adventure-lite (no list-based Hidden Object screens that I can recall).

Nightmare Adventures: The Witch’s Prison - An older game without bells and whistles, but I enjoyed it because practically every object in a scene could be clicked on for a snarky comment. No hidden oject screens.

True Fear - Forsaken Souls - Horror. Some jump scares. I think there were a few hidden object scenes in the first episode. None that I remember in the second. A third episode was promised, but has yet to appear.

Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise - The game that is being discussed. “Comedic spy thriller” is te best description I can come up with.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top