• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Can I self-promote a relevant game?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2022-05-18

PM

We are a small indie games team based in the UK. We are releasing a demo of our game, Whispers in the West, during the Steam Next Fest.

The game is very relevant to the games the community here talk about, but I understand the rule of the forum is no promotional content.

So, I want to ask is it OK to self-promote a game like this?

Also, 6 months ago, Jack Allin was the first person who believed in us and wrote about our game: https://adventuregamers.com/news/view/whispers-in-the-west-draws-quickly-closer-to-release . So, this place has a special place in our hearts :-)

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Feel free to have a separate thread on this, there’s a few developers that do that, albeit I’d say try and keep it interactive/engaging for the rest of the forum members. This is a place for discussion/conversations. For news coverage or articles, just shoot me an email (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) and we’ll discuss.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Welcome!

Creating a thread to promote a crowdfunding campaign/demo/release is perfectly fine. There’s also a thread for discounts and sales, where you can post about any sales that may apply to your games.

Feel free to post in other threads as well, but know they serve a community purpose, not a commercial one. That means no marketing/promotion. If a thread is about games of a certain kind (genre/setting/style/etc) and people ask for suggestions: you can suggest your game. Be considerate of the conversation. You don’t have to engage with it, just naming your game is fine, but it’s not an opportunity to drop a plug and split. Mention your game in a way that is polite, give a one or two sentence summary if you like.

You don’t have to engage with the thread beyond that, but feel free if you enjoy the conversation. Fair warning, regardless of rules and policies, it’s difficult to pull of doing PR and personally engaging on a forum at the same time.

Joined 2022-05-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 June 2022 09:06 AM

Welcome!
Fair warning, regardless of rules and policies, it’s difficult to pull of doing PR and personally engaging on a forum at the same time.

Appreciate the advice!

Joined 2022-05-18

PM

CaliMonk - 08 June 2022 08:54 AM

Feel free to have a separate thread on this, there’s a few developers that do that, albeit I’d say try and keep it interactive/engaging for the rest of the forum members. This is a place for discussion/conversations. For news coverage or articles, just shoot me an email (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) and we’ll discuss.

Thanks Cali, dropped you an email

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Whispers In The West - 08 June 2022 09:26 AM
Vegetable Party - 08 June 2022 09:06 AM

Welcome!
Fair warning, regardless of rules and policies, it’s difficult to pull of doing PR and personally engaging on a forum at the same time.

Appreciate the advice!

*pull off.  Shifty Eyed

You’re welcome. I do hope you don’t take it as discouragement! We’d be happy to have you around - it’s just two roles that are hard to balance and/or separate. But you’re definitely welcome if you can pull it off. Wink

I think the general attitude on the boards is welcoming towards devs, but somewhat resistant to getting a sales pitch. Another thing that I imagine can be very complicated: having someone casually but brutally criticize something you’re financially and emotionally invested in.

I’m checking out your game later today when I have the time, personally I’m glad you brought it to the forum.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top