• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabeJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

It’s getting out of hand - 5 stars games are everywhere!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 09 January 2024 03:33 AM

How do you compare DOTT or Gabriel Knight to Life is Strange or Return of the Obra Dinn?

I think it’s pretty simple - the general pros and cons of game are timeless and universal, like story puzzles atmosphere etc. Of course, one needs to be careful for a modern review of an older game - if I was to review Monkey Island 1 now, I couldn’t blame the low-res graphics, or lack of hotspot indicator - quick exits, because those things caught later on.

Since you mentioned Obra Dinn, it’s visible that game had an instant and long-term impact, a lot of users here and elsewhere are talking about it, there has been a community playthrough etc. I wouldn’t question highest score for that game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

diego - 09 January 2024 08:21 AM

Of course, one needs to be careful for a modern review of an older game - if I was to review Monkey Island 1 now, I couldn’t blame the low-res graphics, or lack of hotspot indicator - quick exits, because those things caught later on.

You have a point, but to nitpick a little bit here, The Secret of Monkey Island actually does have hotspot indicator.

It doesn’t work like hotspot indicators you are probably thinking of, hitting the spacebar to reveal all hotspots, but you can just move your mouse over a hotspot in Monkey Island, and the hotspot will be revealed, with its name. And not only that, some default action will be selected automatically from the action verbs.

Of course it doesn’t show where the actual outlines of those hotspots are, but very few games actually do that.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GateKeeper - 09 January 2024 09:57 AM
diego - 09 January 2024 08:21 AM

Of course, one needs to be careful for a modern review of an older game - if I was to review Monkey Island 1 now, I couldn’t blame the low-res graphics, or lack of hotspot indicator - quick exits, because those things caught later on.

You have a point, but to nitpick a little bit here, The Secret of Monkey Island actually does have hotspot indicator.

It doesn’t work like hotspot indicators you are probably thinking of, hitting the spacebar to reveal all hotspots, but you can just move your mouse over a hotspot in Monkey Island, and the hotspot will be revealed, with its name. And not only that, some default action will be selected automatically from the action verbs.

Of course it doesn’t show where the actual outlines of those hotspots are, but very few games actually do that.

That’s right, I should have expressed it as “show all hotspots” feature. Still, I wouldn’t blame Sierra games for lacking any kind of hotspots, if I was to review them now - some players probably thought hotspot indicator is narrowing the exploration at the time But, I would probably blame dead-ends as games in the early 90s starting realizing it’s a no-no to have dead-ends. Still, it’s a gray zone because players were used to that, and it was considered part of the fun not knowing whether you’re stuck or not.

So, the answer to reviewing older games is to really be knowledgeable about the history and take game trends at the time into consideration.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Looks like the site has listened to your grievances, diego. The last couple of reviews have been 4.5 stars instead of 5 stars.

Woohoo?

AKA Charo

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Charophycean - 21 January 2024 08:49 AM

Looks like the site has listened to your grievances, diego. The last couple of reviews have been 4.5 stars instead of 5 stars.

Woohoo?

No, the genre is dying!

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I don’t get the new scores… I was really excited the first few times, seeing perfect 5 scores for some titles I never heard of, only to go check them out on Steam and be greeted by the average “Mostly Positive” (70%) or even lower Users scores.

Lately I usually check out users scores on Steam, because I find them mostly reliable. Those sitting at “Very Positive” or “Overwhelmingly Positive” with a good number of reviews, usually turn out good. While there’s still a chance I won’t like the game everyone is raving about, at least those titles never turn out flat-out bad.

However, I can confirm, that the lately review DREDGE, actually deserves 4,5 starts. It’s a fantastic game.

And The Invincible looks interesting as well (sitting at Very Positive and 89% on Steam).

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I completely agree.  The reviews here are no longer critical.  It is all gushing without a critical eye.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top