• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The adventure game genre post 2000’s - question

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

garbo - 30 September 2023 03:43 AM

My take on new genres: i used to think that things like walking simulators are atypical adventure games. But traditional adventures aren’t that much more popular than those new genres, so calling games from those new genres adventures muddles what is typical.
Then again, visual novels are older things, just they were less known in west. And some classical adventure games are like visual novels with some puzzles smuggled in. Laura Bow games, visual presentation aside, have some puzzles but are mostly about dialog and exploration. Games like Rise of Dragon and Heart of China have some puzzles but mostly rely on dialog and branching paths etc.

It has been awhile but the 2nd bow game def had its fair share of puzzles, along with eavse dropping on conversations.

I would say i agree that visual novels and walking sims are not hugely more popular, but they do seem to have more “hits” recently.

Even the new monkey island barely registered mainstream attention, other than the fact a lot of fans hated the art style.

For the record puzzles can be based on dialogue. Contradiction is 95% dialogue based puzzles, but they are still puzzles, not narrative paths. The area that game missed is the fact you could only spot contradictions with one suspect’s testimony at a time, and not use other’s testimony against their statements.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 September 2023 05:49 AM

For the record puzzles can be based on dialogue. Contradiction is 95% dialogue based puzzles, but they are still puzzles, not narrative paths. The area that game missed is the fact you could only spot contradictions with one suspect’s testimony at a time, and not use other’s testimony against their statements.

I know i am bit derailing thread here, but Ace Attorney and Danganronpa games also use evidence based system. Having all testimonies available all times would be novel game mechanic i guess. Option to combine keywords in Discworld Noir comes somewhat close.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 28 September 2023 04:16 AM
GateKeeper - 26 September 2023 05:56 AM

What we are kind of missing are notable releases from bigger companies, especially after Telltale went bankrupt and Daedalic stopped developing games.

That’s not true. Microids - a massive company I think we all agree - just released a game which is going to be HUGE.

Maybe, maybe not.
Microids is a real random generator when it comes to game quality.

They have created some of the best adventure games, but also some of the worst.

You really need to see the game first, before you can make any statement about the quality or how big impact the game is going to make.

Charophycean - 29 September 2023 05:33 AM
Jdawg445 - 28 September 2023 09:50 AM

Back to revolutionary software and broken sword that’s why I laughed when Charles says he hopes these new games will bring new younger fans into the genre and I’m like that’s just not happening. My son does not want to play a broken sword game he wants to play fortnite and it is what it is. So unless they switch genres, and be more something like Tomb Raider or Uncharted that’s just not happening.

I can’t blame your son.

The thing is, when I was growing up I didn’t want to play pacman and tetris, which were the latest thing before I was born. I wanted to play adventure games, which at the time were new, innovative and made by designers in their 20s and 30s. Now when we talk about games like Broken Sword 6, well, Charles Cecil must be in at least his 60s by now.

I love adventure games!
But I also love Pac-Man and Tetris.
And Tomb Raider. I have played the first Tomb Raider through maybe four times, which is something I can’t say about too many adventure games.

Expecting kids to be able to relate to anything made by that age-group whether games, books or music is like being dismayed that today’s kids aren’t interested in the latest AC/DC or KISS albums.

There’s no such thing as “latest KISS albums”. *
Their latest studio album came out over 10 years ago, and by that time Paul Stanley’s voice was long gone.

AC/DC has probably been a little bit more active, I can’t comment on the quality, as I don’t know that band as well.

You can however rebrand old stuff for younger audiences, Star Wars is a good example of that, obviously anything that came after the original film has been disappointing (yes, that means The Empire Strikes Back as well), but at least it makes money and generates interest.

* = PS: What’s the best KISS albums of all times?
Peter Criss 1978 solo album! I’m not kidding.
It’s very different from anything else with KISS logo on the cover, but if you ignore that, it’s stylistically the most solid album in their catalogue.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 05 October 2023 05:51 AM
Charophycean - 28 September 2023 04:16 AM
GateKeeper - 26 September 2023 05:56 AM

What we are kind of missing are notable releases from bigger companies, especially after Telltale went bankrupt and Daedalic stopped developing games.

That’s not true. Microids - a massive company I think we all agree - just released a game which is going to be HUGE.

Maybe, maybe not.
Microids is a real random generator when it comes to game quality.

They have created some of the best adventure games, but also some of the worst.

You really need to see the game first, before you can make any statement about the quality or how big impact the game is going to make.

Jdawg445 - 28 September 2023 09:50 AM

Back to revolutionary software and broken sword that’s why I laughed when Charles says he hopes these new games will bring new younger fans into the genre and I’m like that’s just not happening. My son does not want to play a broken sword game he wants to play fortnite and it is what it is. So unless they switch genres, and be more something like Tomb Raider or Uncharted that’s just not happening.

I can’t blame your son.

The thing is, when I was growing up I didn’t want to play pacman and tetris, which were the latest thing before I was born. I wanted to play adventure games, which at the time were new, innovative and made by designers in their 20s and 30s. Now when we talk about games like Broken Sword 6, well, Charles Cecil must be in at least his 60s by now.

I love adventure games!
But I also love Pac-Man and Tetris.
And Tomb Raider. I have played the first Tomb Raider through maybe four times, which is something I can’t say about too many adventure games.

Expecting kids to be able to relate to anything made by that age-group whether games, books or music is like being dismayed that today’s kids aren’t interested in the latest AC/DC or KISS albums.

There’s no such thing as “latest KISS albums”. *
Their latest studio album came out over 10 years ago, and by that time Paul Stanley’s voice was long gone.

AC/DC has probably been a little bit more active, I can’t comment on the quality, as I don’t know that band as well.

You can however rebrand old stuff for younger audiences, Star Wars is a good example of that, obviously anything that came after the original film has been disappointing (yes, that means The Empire Strikes Back as well), but at least it makes money and generates interest.

* = PS: What’s the best KISS albums of all times?
Peter Criss 1978 solo album! I’m not kidding.
It’s very different from anything else with KISS logo on the cover, but if you ignore that, it’s stylistically the most solid album in their catalogue.

You can re-brand or repackage anything, but to diminishing returns. Your example of star wars is proof of that. The ot movies were massive, the pt movies were less massive, and the sequel Trilogy even less than that. While quality definitely has a role in those stats, I would also say it’s the law of diminishing returns in general. Also just an oversaturation of the market. There’s so many Star Wars shows coming out every year it has lost some of his specialness. This is happening in video games too where there’s so many sequels to Ip’s that gamers are getting bored and going to look at indy games because the studios mostly make big budget sequels. Serious question how many Call of Duty’s have there been, and the last of us has what two or three remake/remasters, that’s crazy, the original game came out in what, I want to say in 2014. Devs in general wear a concept out, like the big open World games. I have seen so many youtube videos pop up lately saying they are tired of these big open worlds. Heck I’ve been tired of them for years lol.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top