• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Farewell to Jack

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

That’s a long history of work and dedication. Thanks for all of it and good luck on your future endeavors!

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the kind words.

Under other circumstances, I’d still be here doing what I do, but I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me in one form or another in future. The genre’s not quite done with me yet, nor I with it!

I wish everyone here the best as well, with many happy adventures, both gaming and otherwise.

Advie - 16 April 2022 08:05 PM

come on he looked like Dave Murray!

You must know someone incredibly handsome by that name, Advie! Tongue Because there’s not much resemblance to the Iron Maiden guy, if that’s who you meant.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Wow. The end of an era indeed.

I’ve been reading AG pretty much since it first went online. I actually remember the day when Jack took over as an Editor-in-Chief. His editorial professionalism, integrity, capable management, and powerful (also: inimitable) writing have shaped this site. AG is the premier source for adventure gaming—but to me (and many others, I think) it has been one of the most relevant gaming sites on the Internet for the last 17 years.

It’s unreal to see you leaving, Jack. But it’s a comfort that we’ll hear from you in a new capacity. I guess what I’m trying to say is: THANK YOU, and ALL THE BEST.

Martin

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

I’ve been a member of AG for 18 years(!), though not too active. Over the years, Jack has turned the site into a professional-level compendium for almost everything related to the genre, driven by true love of gaming. I’ve only recently joined the writing team. Jack’s patient remarks on my first review, which were spiced with delightful cynicism, proved to be important guidelines. As much as I am sad to see him go, I am curious about what the future has in store for the site.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just got back from a long weekend away to read the news about Jackals departure with sadness.
Apart from his very obvious talents on the literature side of things I came to recognise Jack as a patient, very fair & gentlemanly man whom I will greatly miss here.
I wish you all the best in the world Jack.    Heart

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Wow, that’s ...momentous. End of an era? Feels more like end of THE era.

Upthread, Doom used the word “devastating”, which might seem like a hyperbole, but it isn’t one for me. I am enough of an old-timer to remember “Jackal” as just another one of forum regulars who went by the name of “Singer”, confusingly —or prophetically?? Gasp — similar to his immediate predecessor’s handle: “Stinger”.) So naturally, the news hit me really hard when I stumbled upon the farewell on the main site last Sunday, checking in after another of my semi-regular long breaks from Adventure Gamers — and just in time to read it before it got pushed from the homepage!

Since then I’ve been processing the news, mainly by writing and rewriting this post in my head. I almost decided against making it at all, as every version comes out rambling, repetitive, and/or terribly narcissistic. (Sorry, I can’t help it. I am quite unable to talk of neither AG, nor Jack Allin, without also talking about myself. This site has been a constant in my life for over a half of it, despite the sabbaticals ranging from weeks to years, and I will always consider it an honor to be mentioned as one of the “Past Contributors” to its success, however brief my stint as a moderator was.)

But, well, some things bear repeating, even ramblingly! So, Jack: thank you. You excelled as a reviewer, editor, boss, yeller, punmaker, Christmas Quest writer, and (hopeful) sceptic. I might have been just one of silent lurkers for a majority of those past seventeen years, but not once had I stopped admiring your dedication, work ethics and writing talent. Please keep us updated on your future projects.

To Ivo, and entire team, I am wishing all the best. Please remain my favourite site. The recipe for that is really simple: just keep evolving in a way that would make Jack Allin proud.  Wink

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

AFGNCAAP - 03 May 2022 07:02 PM

To Ivo, and entire team, I am wishing all the best. Please remain my favourite site. The recipe for that is really simple: just keep evolving in a way that would make Jack Allin proud.  Wink

I would agree with everything but this. I doubt Jack’s last wish would be to make him proud. That would be a narcissistic view that Jack never had.

My guess, and I did not know him other than from is presence here, would be to wish the forum continued success. 

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Farewell Jack. I will definitely miss your super clever puns on the front page Laughing Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its obvious the Site’s new direction to abandon Jackal’s puns at/of the article titles, and seriously* I couldn’t respect and support this more! perfect choice

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top