• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What do you guys do when you’re stuck?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

GateKeeper - 25 May 2023 01:36 AM
Charophycean - 25 May 2023 12:26 AM

I asked ChatGPT

ChatGPT “knows” absolutely nothing about adventure games.

I asked it that too. Strangely, I got this output 5 times straight:

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

My rule is simple - if the game impresses me enough, I try not look at the walkthrough at all. “Impressing” also means that the game convinced me that puzzles are fair and solvable by logic or clever, out of the box reasoning. That way, I have a peace of mind with myself, and enjoy game longer. On the bad side, it also means that I have a lot of unfinished games on the queue list.

However, if I decide to look for the hints, the best way is to do “old style” like speaking or inviting a friend to help you, or discussing on a forum/playthrough thread. If that’s unavailable, then the next step is to use the in-game hint system or UHS/UHS-like hints. Finally, I’ll read a regular walkthrough or see Youtube video.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Abhi D. - 24 May 2023 09:18 PM

BTW,

I also started ‘The Art of Murder: FBI Confidential’. Now, that game has this thing called ‘hints’ at the bottom right. Is that similar to Holmes’ sixth sense in ‘Testament’? Is it ok to use that or is that considered cheating?

Thanks,
Abhi

The easy answer to your question: play the way you want. No one is gonna judge you and if they are, well, that’s their problem.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Charophycean - 25 May 2023 12:26 AM

I asked ChatGPT whether it’s okay and it said it was.

/thread?

You know, you joke, but I for one welcome our new AI overlords and if ChatGPT says it’s ok - it’s ok.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

ask my wife. 9 out of 10 times just getting a fresh set of eyes on the problem solves it pretty quick. Especially if the puzzle is some type of cypher, she is really good at those.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Abhi D. - 30 May 2023 03:53 AM

I for one welcome our new AI overlords and if ChatGPT says it’s ok - it’s ok.

Let’s try this:

You: How do I solve cat moustache puzzle in “Gabriel Knight 3”?

AI: Sure! In the cat moustache puzzle of “Gabriel Knight 3,” you need to arrange the tiles in such a way that each cat has a unique mustache design. Here are the steps to solve the puzzle:

Start with the top row of tiles. Place the tile with the curled mustache in the middle and the two tiles with the straight mustaches on either side.

Move to the second row of tiles. Place the tile with the mustache that points upward in the middle. Place the tile with the mustache that points downward on the left, and the tile with the mustache that points to the right on the right.

Move to the third and final row of tiles. Place the tile with the mustache that curves downward on the left, and the tile with the mustache that curves upward on the right.

Once you have placed all the tiles in the correct positions, the puzzle will be solved and you can move on to the next challenge. I hope this helps!

It’s intriguing how AI can can come up with an answer that superficially makes total sense, but in reality is complete garbage.

I don’t think we need to worry about singularity just yet.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

On the topic of AI, i recently used one thats setup to act as a text adventure. With a fair amount of effort, i convinced it to take the role of player with me doing the narration. Then i asked it to write a review after and cite examples from the game. It did. Oh it even asked if it could follow my game on discord Grin

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

It depends on the game. If a game has no hotspot highlighter then I’m more likely to reach for a walkthrough because I know that 99% of the time it will be because I’ve missed something on the screen (I hate hidden objects and pixel hunting with a passion).

For example, I’m playing discworld 2 right now and without hotspot highlighting there’s just so many things I missed that blocked me. I could of course spend time to drag my cursor on the screen to find everything but that’s so utterly boring.

On the other hand if I’m playing a game that has hotspot highlighters then I usually spend at least an hour being stuck (and usually do something else) before I look for a walkthrough. I also tend to prefer UHS to proper walkthroughs because they don’t spoil the entire solution.

The few times when I play with my wife, we are much stricter about not looking at walkthroughs (she absolutely hates it). The most she’d allow is for me to figure it out, give her slight nudges so that she can figure it out for herself.

I dont’ try everything on everything (I did as a kid but I was a lot more patient back then)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top