• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 1st person AGs released in this decade?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Thank you for this list. It has been a while since I’ve been able to play a lot of games and this will keep me up to date. I’ll need a new computer to play the biggies.
BTW, another Witness fan here.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Simon_ASA - 04 July 2018 08:54 AM

Danganronpa is a first person adventure? Do you mean like Phenix Wright/Ace Attorney for example?
I’m very interested in this series, I like most japanese adventures with a good story. I think I would have fun with Danganronpa but never had the time and opportunity to play it…

Danganronpa is by far, one of my favorite adventure games of all time. If you like Phoenix Wright, you will most likely like this one.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SoccerDude - 04 July 2018 05:33 PM

Danganronpa is a first person adventure? Do you mean like Phenix Wright/Ace Attorney for example?
I’m very interested in this series, I like most japanese adventures with a good story. I think I would have fun with Danganronpa but never had the time and opportunity to play it…

Danganronpa is by far, one of my favorite adventure games of all time. If you like Phoenix Wright, you will most likely like this one.

i wish, at least to see what is fucking greatness with this weird looking game, but its never on PC!

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Advie - 05 July 2018 01:00 PM

i wish, at least to see what is fucking greatness with this weird looking game, but its never on PC!

The Danganronpa games have been on PC for a little while now.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dale - 05 July 2018 01:33 PM

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Great!,
which one may i start with since i a not familiar with its idea* or its gameplaying style by any chance?

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Advie - 05 July 2018 02:19 PM

which one may i start with since i a not familiar with its idea* or its gameplaying style by any chance?

I’d play them in order, so Trigger Happy Havoc first.  They all play alike, so you’d know if you like them or not from that.

There is a demo of the third game, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, which you could safely play without spoiling anything. Its story is a bit different to what’s in the actual game, but it would give an idea of the gameplay.

You can safely skip Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls.  That’s a third person shooter and I didn’t like it much.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Advie - 05 July 2018 02:19 PM
Dale - 05 July 2018 01:33 PM

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Great!,

Third one is my least favorite but I only played a little of it. The stories are related so I do recommend playing them in order. The first is Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc followed by Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and the last one is Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. I do have to warn you though that they are over the top and weird. They are very different from western games that tend to be more grounded.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Very interesting, thanks for the info about Danganronpa series! I will give a try to Happy Havoc when I have the time. I like all kinds of japanese games and all kinds of adventure games, so a mix of the genres can be fun!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Simon_ASA - 06 July 2018 05:47 AM

Very interesting, thanks for the info about Danganronpa series! I will give a try to Happy Havoc when I have the time. I like all kinds of japanese games and all kinds of adventure games, so a mix of the genres can be fun!

Oh then youre in for a treat. Its a mix between phoenix wright and 999 and IMO the result surpasses both of those series.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

how good is Lake Ridden? Did anyone play it?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Advie - 08 July 2018 08:51 AM

I’d also like to know about this as I was just looking at getting it.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

INFRA and Ether One are both fantastic first person adventures. Two of my favorite games of the last decade.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Veovis - 09 July 2018 05:26 AM

INFRA and Ether One are both fantastic first person adventures. Two of my favorite games of the last decade.

Agreed, even though INFRA was far too long.

Advie - 08 July 2018 08:51 AM

It is good. Very atmospheric, nice story. Strange thing is, I can hardly remember about it even though it was only 2 months ago I played it.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Is the 1st person scene nearing extinction?

In 2016 we had a ton of great games including The Witness, Quern, Catyph, Eyes of Ara, Firewatch, Haven Moon, Obduction.

In 2017 we had XING: The Land Beyond and Stories Untold, and Observer, all high quality games. But not nearly as many as the previous year.

In 2018 we had Return of the Obra Dinn. Great game… but what else was there?

Are we witnessing the decline and death of a once great pillar of adventure gaming, the 1st person puzzler?

(I know there were others in 2018 like Shapeshifting Detective and Gray Dawn but I don’t consider those high quality compared to the other games mentioned)

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi! I don’t think we are witnessing the decline of 1st person puzzlers. It’s probably more a matter of circumstances. Those who released games in 2016 need time to create new projects, or eventually they have stopped because it didn’t bring the results that they hoped. However I can see many (old and new) developers interested in this genre, and who plan to create games that look promising (from memory, we can expect the following games in the coming months/years: Neyyah, RoonSehv Experimentaliis, The Five Cores Remastered, Schizm 3, Firmament, Zed, Cerynitii, ...., RealMyha of course Tongue ). In fact 2019 might be a little bit like 2016, so don’t forget to support the games that you love!

Imho there are mainly 4 reasons why you might have felt such a decline:

1 - these games are not very accalaimed by gamers in general (who prefer action games), and they are less and less covered in the press (except for the biggest projects supported by famous publishers, or on specialized sites like AG). More and more, we can all see that the devs need the help of their fans to spread the word on social networks. Those who have a small community or who don’t have a good marketting strategy need your support furthermore.

2 - many projects in the recent past have benefited of crowdfunding, but it would seem that Kickstarter campains nowadays are harder to succeed than 5 years ago, and bring less funds. It’s even more difficult that the selling platforms (Steam, etc) make it hard to sell the games at a normal price if you want to remain competitive, because you are always encouraged to lower your prices (both under the pressure of players, and also because it has become normal to make sales during special events)(and if you are not competitive you are hidden, lost in the middle of a galaxy of other games, and people just don’t know that you exist!).

3 - 1st person puzzlers have been a niche market for years, and even if there is a great supportive community, it’s hard to live from it if it’s your main activity (and hard to find the time to work on a game if it’s *not* your main activity). I talked with many developers in this genre who were a little bit disapointed by how their games were welcome after release (free or commercial games). There is often a real lack of impact (again recently I could see it, when I released a free game this Summer and realized how hard it was to convince people to just download it). Such great projects such as Haven Moon, The Five Cores or RoonSehv NeTera hardly reached the fans of the genre (making it difficult for the devs to remain motivated and persevere with new games) (same for me with ASA and Catyph btw). It’s really hard.

4 - there are more and more *narrative* 1st person games, which are still adventure games somehow, but usually don’t have many puzzles (and they are much easier). It would seem that younger people prefer these games? (well I don’t really know actually, but it would seem so?)

(oh and 5 - many people are increasingly demanding in terms of graphic, artistic and technical quality. The creators of 1st person AGs are often very small teams.)

Anyway you should remain optimistic, definetely! With the recent announcement of Cyan Venture, I’m sure you’ll continue to see 1st person puzzles in the future. Some new devs will come, will fail or succeed, the market will evolve, but globally I see no reason for the moment for these games to stop being created. As long as there are passionate people who share their love (both creators and players)...

Just my personal point of view. Maybe I’m totally mistaken! (but can we say that I start to have some experience?)
What do you think?

I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy end of the year holiday!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top