• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 1st person AGs released in this decade?

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

zane - 06 July 2018 09:22 AM
Simon_ASA - 06 July 2018 05:47 AM

Very interesting, thanks for the info about Danganronpa series! I will give a try to Happy Havoc when I have the time. I like all kinds of japanese games and all kinds of adventure games, so a mix of the genres can be fun!

Oh then youre in for a treat. Its a mix between phoenix wright and 999 and IMO the result surpasses both of those series.

I agree that it’s a better series than Phoenix Wright, but personally I feel the Zero Escape series (999) is the best of the three.  Danganronpa 2 is absolutely phenomenal though.  But I’d say Zero Escape 1 and 2 are both about on that same level, so the series is a bit more consistent.

But yeah, if you like one of those series you’ll like the other ones too.  I’d just maybe recommend 999 as a better starting point for a newcomer.  Especially if you prefer more serious games and aren’t typically a fan of Japanese stuff, because there’s going to be a lot of wacky anime style humor at the start of Danganronpa before it gets into the serious / dramatic stuff.

And also the mysteries are pretty predictable in Dangonronpa 1.  They got a LOT better in that regard in the sequels, though.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Detective Mosely - 26 December 2018 09:08 PM

there’s going to be a lot of wacky anime style humor at the start of Danganronpa before it gets into the serious / dramatic stuff.

I tried Happy Havoc and played about 1 hour before I gave up. It was too long to talk to all the characters one after another for the weird introduction… It just didn’t catch my attention and I found that something was missing to take the player in the story at that point of the game. But after reading your message I will definetely try again someday and hopefully will discover a great game, so, thanks.
I enjoyed all Phenix Wright games and played 2 Zero Escape games (999 and Virtue’s Last Reward) and they were great. I like a lot of japanese stuff (games, animes and mangas), so why not Danganronpa?

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Simon_ASA - 27 December 2018 01:09 PM
Detective Mosely - 26 December 2018 09:08 PM

there’s going to be a lot of wacky anime style humor at the start of Danganronpa before it gets into the serious / dramatic stuff.

I tried Happy Havoc and played about 1 hour before I gave up. It was too long to talk to all the characters one after another for the weird introduction… It just didn’t catch my attention and I found that something was missing to take the player in the story at that point of the game. But after reading your message I will definetely try again someday and hopefully will discover a great game, so, thanks.
I enjoyed all Phenix Wright games and played 2 Zero Escape games (999 and Virtue’s Last Reward) and they were great. I like a lot of japanese stuff (games, animes and mangas), so why not Danganronpa?

Yeah, totally understandable as Dangonronpa does have a slower and weirder feeling introduction section than those other games.  Given that you like those other series though, I’m positive you’ll like it once you get far enough into it.

Slow beginnings are the curse of many Japanese games.  Probably my favorite ever series of Japanese “games” (if you can call it that) is Higurashi: When They Cry.  It’s not really a game because there’s absolutely no gameplay or even choices.  It’s just a novel with art and music and voices.  But it’s an absolutely fantastic sprawling mystery that takes 8 separate short stories to explore the whole tale, and each one keeps hitting you with one mystery after another, with many mind-blowing reveals that change the way you see everything.  So I still consider it a game, because of the way it engages your mind and challenges you to take on the mysteries.

The only problem is that it takes the entire first half of the first chapter (probably about 4 hours real time) for the story to really start to get interesting.  After that you’re constantly on the edge of your seat, and the slow build up definitely makes the second half that much more impactful, but it’s a shame because that first section will without a doubt put off so many players that would otherwise love it and they’ll set it down and never touch it again.  I myself quit it the first time I played it, and was just lucky that I ended up giving it another chance and then got completely hooked into the series.  But so many people won’t do that.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

1 - these games are not very accalaimed by gamers in general (who prefer action games), and they are less and less covered in the press (except for the biggest projects supported by famous publishers, or on specialized sites like AG). More and more, we can all see that the devs need the help of their fans to spread the word on social networks. Those who have a small community or who don’t have a good marketting strategy need your support furthermore.

well, that brings up a Q i ve been meaning to ask; do you (devs in general beside you Simon) make adventures with adventure gamers all around the world only on mind or do you target different crowd too (younger gen) like most movies do, or maybe you just do what you love as with Tarantino, i quote ” you do a movie that you to watch but inst in the market” ?

2 - many projects in the recent past have benefited of crowdfunding, but it would seem that Kickstarter campains nowadays are harder to succeed than 5 years ago, and bring less funds. It’s even more difficult that the selling platforms (Steam, etc) make it hard to sell the games at a normal price if you want to remain competitive, because you are always encouraged to lower your prices (both under the pressure of players, and also because it has become normal to make sales during special events)(and if you are not competitive you are hidden, lost in the middle of a galaxy of other games, and people just don’t know that you exist!).

we all know that most of this diminishing attitude lays back on the one who had created the phenomena in the the place, plus, besides what most projects have witnessed with these funded projects that either delayed or disappointing.

3 - 1st person puzzlers have been a niche market for years, and even if there is a great supportive community, it’s hard to live from it if it’s your main activity (and hard to find the time to work on a game if it’s *not* your main activity). I talked with many developers in this genre who were a little bit disapointed by how their games were welcome after release (free or commercial games). There is often a real lack of impact (again recently I could see it, when I released a free game this Summer and realized how hard it was to convince people to just download it). Such great projects such as Haven Moon, The Five Cores or RoonSehv NeTera hardly reached the fans of the genre (making it difficult for the devs to remain motivated and persevere with new games) (same for me with ASA and Catyph btw). It’s really hard.

but isn’t VR is the future keeping in mind that VR can NOT hold 3rd person games? i believe there is a catch yet to come that can really present VR better than the it is; the first step of this evolution relies on the idea itself, but what is next, how playing those game in virtual reality is more intriguing, (i.e) when do players can talk freely (or reading a script with the game) to NPCs and get varied reaction of them??

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Detective Mosely - 27 December 2018 07:16 PM

But so many people won’t do that.

I will! Promise, I’ll give another chance to Danganronpa Wink It can take some time however before I can play it again.

Advie - 27 December 2018 07:16 PM

but isn’t VR is the future

I’m sure that VR is the future of first person. Big companies like Cyan have understood it. Indies will however need more time, as it’s a bit more complicated to make these games. I’d say that Indies’ 1st person AGs with VR will be more rare than Publishers’.
For the small story, I would be potentially interested to add VR in my projects but it’s complicated. I’m not equiped with the necessary hardware, so it requires money, time to learn, etc. For people making games in their garage it’s still a challenge today…
I wonder how students in game design are trained for it. They’ll probably be the ones to write this part of the story tomorrow.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top