• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Just heard news of the re release of Apollo Justice! I’m quite hyped for this, I never got to play the originals for the DS, back then I only had the first Phoenix Wright. Since the re releases of the original trilogy and Ace Attorney Chronicles I have been hooked on the franchise.

Not sure if people here consider these games fit the adventure genre, but maybe it could be considered close enough for discussion on here. Anyone else looking forward to more Ace Attorney?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

I loved the first Ace Attorney entry which had straight-to-the-point, polished writing and its court cases weren’t plagued with plot twists at every turn, which from what I gathered was the result of its very rushed development for the GBA, it being a spruced up NDS port and all. With each consequent entry I’ve had a harder time enjoying the franchise as it became a painfully slow game due to long-winded dialogue so many times unfunny (another boobs joke, guys?), and that always treats the player like an idiot. It seemed to be an NDS-era Capcom thing to explain the obvious to the player, which also made the mechanically fresh Ghost Trick an oft unnecessary slog.

But its fanbase follows the more-is-better philosophy, because there’s apparently no concept of trimming the fat in visual novels, so I’m perfectly aware I belong in the minority on this.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wonderful news! Played the original trilogy on DS several years ago and loved it, I don’t see why they shouldn’t count as adventures — there’s more thinking and point-n-clicking than in many recent games (including the one currently at the community playthrough)), and writing is nothing but adorable. I do agree though that the first Ace was the best one, both in terms of writing and gameplay — 2 and 3 somehow turned out less mature and more anime-like, and it was sad to learn they threw away some cool innovative gameplay mechanics in favour of rather boring “psycholocks”. Still they had enough memorable moments as well.

I have yet to finish The Great Ace Attorney which came out on PC several years ago and felt too text-heavy and “more of the same” to me. But I only played a couple of introductory levels, so I’m likely to return to it soon, and then will look into Apollo Justice.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 25 January 2024 07:36 AM

Wonderful news! Played the original trilogy on DS several years ago and loved it, I don’t see why they shouldn’t count as adventures — there’s more thinking and point-n-clicking than in many recent games (including the one currently at the community playthrough)), and writing is nothing but adorable. I do agree though that the first Ace was the best one, both in terms of writing and gameplay — 2 and 3 somehow turned out less mature and more anime-like, and it was sad to learn they threw away some cool innovative gameplay mechanics in favour of rather boring “psycholocks”. Still they had enough memorable moments as well.

I have yet to finish The Great Ace Attorney which came out on PC several years ago and felt too text-heavy and “more of the same” to me. But I only played a couple of introductory levels, so I’m likely to return to it soon, and then will look into Apollo Justice.

I agree with you doom especially on the jab at the community playthrough. these games are way more Adventure game than a lot of games these days. The only area I would disagree with you on is I found all of them to be kind of childish, Goofy and Anime like, in a kind of Dragon Ball Z way, with the over the top shouting.so ace didn’t Capture Me like some other Detective/courtroom games have. That’s one of the reasons I got into the Judgment series, even though it’s made by the yakuza people. So the gameplay is a lot of beat them up, but there’s enough investigation where it kind of evens out for me, but the story in the main line game is taking more seriously than Ace to me. I will be honest though the goofy side quests in judgement sometimes makes me roll my eyes. But once again I completely understand why those Ace games are extremely popular even though they’re not made to my sensibilities all that much.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Good news, although Apollo is likely my least favorite of the series on the DS.  My favorites are Ace Attorney and Trials and Tribulations.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 January 2024 10:01 AM

I agree with you doom especially on the jab at the community playthrough. these games are way more Adventure game than a lot of games these days. The only area I would disagree with you on is I found all of them to be kind of childish, Goofy and Anime like, in a kind of Dragon Ball Z way, with the over the top shouting.

They are, more or less, although I think the first game managed to fit in-between. It leaned towards anime-like cliches, but not too much. I played № 2 right after finishing № 1, and I remember how annoying the return of that idiot Ace’s friend was: first time he was like a goofy looser who needed help, but in the sequel he immediately showed up as some looney with sudden changes of mood, who just started crying or screaming without any reason, with added tears or a giant mouth with sharp teeth, just like in those cheap anime toons. Or those amateur boob jokes as Lamb mentioned.

So yes, it was cringy at times, but I still find Ace Attorney’s writing very good. At least I constantly found myself on the edge of my seat during those trials, story-wise all games managed to surprise, characters always saw some growth and revealed new sides, and many jokes were in fact funny despite everything. Probably why I didn’t enjoy The Great Ace as much as the first entries, with totally new era, plotlines and characters.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Doom - 25 January 2024 04:17 PM

Or those amateur boob jokes as Lamb mentioned.

The sequel dialed up the creep factor to 11, with 4’1’’ 8yos channeling 5’6’’ 24yos so that the shapeshifted former spends the game trying to cover up her chest while the rest of her clothing somehow fits perfectly:

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I didn’t realize they released a trilogy of games, of which I have only played the first Apollo Justice (for the original DS). That’s great! Made me continue my playthrough of the original trilogy on PC that I began a couple of years ago. For some reason I only got to the middle of that Big Top scenario in Justice for All.

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Lamb - 26 January 2024 01:14 PM
Doom - 25 January 2024 04:17 PM

Or those amateur boob jokes as Lamb mentioned.

The sequel dialed up the creep factor to 11, with 4’1’’ 8yos channeling 5’6’’ 24yos so that the shapeshifted former spends the game trying to cover up her chest while the rest of her clothing somehow fits perfectly:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought that was weird! Amusing once maybe but it happens way too often! I feel Phoenix should insist Pearl keep a bigger set of clothes on hand.

Veovis - 29 January 2024 06:52 AM

I didn’t realize they released a trilogy of games, of which I have only played the first Apollo Justice (for the original DS). That’s great! Made me continue my playthrough of the original trilogy on PC that I began a couple of years ago. For some reason I only got to the middle of that Big Top scenario in Justice for All.

The Big Top story is deffo one of my favourites and perhaps is the only time where having these super crazy and expressive characters makes sense in the entire series. Not that I mind it of course, it’s all part of the charm! Franziska von Karma is probably my favourite prosecutor too. We need more whips in the courtroom!

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

crumpets - 30 January 2024 07:25 AM

The Big Top story is deffo one of my favourites and perhaps is the only time where having these super crazy and expressive characters makes sense in the entire series. Not that I mind it of course, it’s all part of the charm! Franziska von Karma is probably my favourite prosecutor too. We need more whips in the courtroom!

It’s probably the best scenario in Justice for All IMO, but I think that game as a whole is the weakest of the ones I’ve played on the original DS. Still good of course, and wonderfully over the top.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

crumpets - 30 January 2024 07:25 AM

Glad I’m not the only one who thought that was weird! Amusing once maybe but it happens way too often! I feel Phoenix should insist Pearl keep a bigger set of clothes on hand.

It would’ve been solved and even make more sense if the toddler raised in an extremely old-fashioned village to continue a long-standing tradition simply wore a slightly longer kimono. The rest of her clothing was taken into account so as to fit both body types, and almost no one other than Phoenix acknowledges her constant drastic transformations. 

Pearl’s elders Misty and Morgan Fey are covered from head to toe, which besides illustrating Japanese devs’ aversion for over-30yo women also show us what their traditional clothing looks like. The real-life Miko also don’t show their knees.

Pearl’s was solely eye candy with the usual creepy target audience in mind.

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Lamb - 30 January 2024 11:28 AM

Pearl’s was solely eye candy with the usual creepy target audience in mind.

Welp. That’s something I’ll never be able to unsee now. I never put much critical thought into it but now that you’ve mentioned it, you’re right.  Meh

I’ve been playing Ace Attorney Chronicles on and off and thankfully that sort of exploitation doesn’t seem to be in there. I hope this is also the case when I finally get onto Apollo Justice.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top