• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Aaah! I’ve slacked off on playing again and now I’m even further behind!

I bought Surface: The Soaring City after playing the demo. So far the story hasn’t gripped me as much as the other games, and I feel the restoration projects are a bit of a let down (I preferred decorating my office), but I want to give it a chance, and the story is quite unique.

Also picked up the latest Mystery Case files (Shadow Lake) on the BFG sale. Didn’t enjoy the demo that much, but I want to play it, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Played through Phantasmat: Crucible Peak demo.. I’m just not sure about this one, the gameplay is good, I enjoy being able to do match 3 for a change, but I think I’m really struggling with the protagonist. There’s no diary and no feedback from him; he doesn’t seem to react or question why these people keep *poofing* away right in front of him. The change of scenery from new to old/frozen also go completely unnoticed.
Should I give it a chance?
I’m usually annoyed by the silly diary notes the HOG protagonists make, and yet I seem to really miss it when it’s taken away from me. Content

Have gained 2 SE codes now, one I have to use within the month, and I’m still not sure what I should use it on. Should I just get Phantasmat SE edition?
Any other SE editions that are worth it, or where the CE edition is absolutely not worth it?
(I know several of you prefer buying SE editions, but I can’t personally stand to miss a part of the story, and I like the strategy guide, so I will always buy CE if I have the chance)

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Panthera - 24 February 2013 08:44 PM

Aaah! I’ve slacked off on playing again and now I’m even further behind!

I bought Surface: The Soaring City after playing the demo. So far the story hasn’t gripped me as much as the other games, and I feel the restoration projects are a bit of a let down (I preferred decorating my office), but I want to give it a chance, and the story is quite unique.

I just picked this up when the SE came out a couple of days ago.  Time will tell, but I agree with you so far.  I’m early in the game, but it doesn’t seem quite as strong as the other two.  But we’ll see.  And, it pains me to say this, but the Elephant games are starting to resemble each other more and more with each release.

I just broke down and started playing Mass Effect 3, so I might not have any casual updates for awhile.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I did want to talk about Shiver: Poltergeist.  I just finished the SE version of this game.  I had really enjoyed the first game and was looking forward to the sequel.  I was really impressed with this game overall.  The technical qualities are outstanding, with great animations and some very imaginative special effects.  The puzzles are interesting and entertaining.  What really stood out about the game is the inventory system.  Somewhat rarely for a HOPA, you can combine inventory items.  And some inventory items can be zoomed in on and manipulated.  Again, making the game feel more like an adventure, while keeping that casual fast-paced gameplay intact.  So, while playing this game, I would say it was headed for a solid 4.5 or even 5/5 rating from me. 

Then, suddenly, the game abruptly ended about 2/3 of the way through in the middle of the plot, like literally.  I don’t think it even showed credits, so at first I thought something was wrong.  But then I realized the story finishes in the CE version.  When I looked at playthroughs on YouTube, it looks like the game continues for a good 45 minutes to an hour after the CE ends.  You all know how I feel about CE’s in general.  I don’t mind you finding out a little backstory or having an epilogue in the CE bonus content.  But it is completely unacceptable to release an incomplete game as a SE.  So, this really spoiled the experience for me.  I was almost tempted to watch the YouTube video just to find out how the plot resolves, but this seemed like the lamest thing ever.  Based on this, I would be very hesitant to pick up games by this developer in the future.  (On the other hand, if you’re someone who likes CE games, it’s a great game).  Boo.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 24 February 2013 11:39 PM

Then, suddenly, the game abruptly ended about 2/3 of the way through in the middle of the plot, like literally.  I don’t think it even showed credits.

Wow! I’ve played this game, and I don’t remember that happening. I’ll have to play again. I’ve had games become unplayable for various reasons. But I don’t ever recall a game that ended in the way you describe.

BTW, I noticed that a new Sacra Terra game is out. Currently only in a CE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Interplay - 24 February 2013 11:39 PM

Then, suddenly, the game abruptly ended about 2/3 of the way through in the middle of the plot, like literally.  I don’t think it even showed credits, so at first I thought something was wrong.  But then I realized the story finishes in the CE version.  When I looked at playthroughs on YouTube, it looks like the game continues for a good 45 minutes to an hour after the CE ends.  You all know how I feel about CE’s in general.  I don’t mind you finding out a little backstory or having an epilogue in the CE bonus content.  But it is completely unacceptable to release an incomplete game as a SE.  So, this really spoiled the experience for me.  I was almost tempted to watch the YouTube video just to find out how the plot resolves, but this seemed like the lamest thing ever.  Based on this, I would be very hesitant to pick up games by this developer in the future.  (On the other hand, if you’re someone who likes CE games, it’s a great game).  Boo.

Sheesh, that’s crap! I’ve played and enjoyed Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker, and I thought I’d played Poltergeist too, but I looked through my purchase list and it’s not there, so I couldn’t have enjoyed it enough to purchase it. From what I remember it was very unpolished, though I think I liked Hitchhiker. Can’t say if that does the same, as I played the CE version.
Have to say I’m very skeptical of supporting a studio forcing people onto one edition like that. I might enjoy CEs, but I don’t think everybody else should have to.
Will definitely be careful buying from them again!

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I finished Surface: the Soaring City CE (though not the bonus game) and I’m giving it a resounding “meh”.
Over half the game I was just playing to be finished with it, and towards the end I just started using the Strategy guide to get through the end faster, also because the puzzles got more and more illogical.

I think my biggest issue is with the story. I just don’t believe it. At all. I don’t believe that he could build all that in 4 years, I don’t believe nobody would notice anything weird, I don’t believe anyone would be THAT naive while brilliant, and I don’t believe the villain’s completely crappy and cliched motive. Or that people would listen to him. And I can’t stand the protagonist going through the whole game being positive and supportive to everything!
Somebody at Elephant games really wants all mankind to fly and sees nothing negative about this.

And I love Sci-Fi, I can enjoy fantasy, though I usually find traditional fantasy a bit boring, and like the dark fairy-tale stories! This sci-fi/fantasy thing just needed a lot more backbone. It was never clear if it was a fantasy world or “our” world, it never managed to define a decade; the artwork seemed to suggest 19th century, but there were modern style batteries and other completely modern stuff like a freight elevator sticking out as a sore thumb.

The other Surface games were good because they dealt with a mature subject while crafting a story and protagonist we could connect with, I wanted to save the people in the previous games, and I wanted to understand what had happened. This game just got more and more preposterous, and the more I heard of the story, the more it broke my suspension of disbelief.

Also the unsynchronized mouth/voice over on the videos became really grating, and I still don’t like Elephant’s puzzles. They’re so inconsistent, being either really easy, or really hard, demanding complicated controls the game doesn’t really support. Also, stop giving me “leave area” arrow when I’m trying to access my inventory or strategy guide!!

All in all this was one of the biggest let downs I’ve played in a long time, from a series I really enjoyed..

2/5 (yes, I’m irritated!)

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I kind of thought it was obvious that Surface was a meh game. Tried the demo and was immediately realized it felt like an old HOG game. Same with the game the Great Unknown: Houdini’s Castle. It felt like an old casual, making it just unbearable to get through.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I got back to playing some casuals after a few adventures ( A Fool and His Money and The Five Cores). The BigFish BOGO helped, and I picked up 6 games.
Phantasmat Crucible Peak was ok - run of the mill, but I do like the novelty of the Match 3 games. I’m playing Timeless the Lost Castle now and I’m really enjoying it on expert level. There’s lots of good puzzles and it’s proving to be a longish game, even for me ( I skip all the cut scenes and dialogue in casuals).

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

As to the spoiler question, something non-sensical like that occurs in almost every game. As in “why do in need to use a hacksway to open a padlock, but need acid to cut through a chain in the same room?” I don’t have an answer except to guess that the designers thought it would be too easy if we were allowed to use the same tool twice.

Casual gamers seem to expect more interactions per screen than adventure gamers. I guess if you have to cut four different things and use the same tool, that means fewer times you have to find or earn a new tool, so less overall interaction.

I’m currently playing Grim Tales: The Legacy. I like the environments—they are less cluttered than in other Elephant games, which gives them a stronger sense of place, IMHO. I’m trying to decide if the overall ambiance might be considered “gothic.” I wish there was a bit more story going on, though the mini-games are keeping me quite busy.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK, I replayed Shiver: Poltergeist, and I guess I understand what Interplay was talking about. When SE the game ends, the main objective, uniting Richard and Brenda was completed. It wasn’t the greatest ending considering you, the protagonist apparently die, but I didn’t think much of it. I’ve sat through games with worse endings. From what Interplay says, the CE apparently starts where this game left off, and continues through to another conclusion.

I’m not sure what I think. On one hand it would have been nice if the SE ended with Richard and Brenda reunited. A CE bonus game filled with a bunch of fluff would validate the reason I rarely buy a CE. On the other hand, the CE bonus game appears to contain the exact type of material that makes purchasing a CE worthwhile.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Been playing Murder She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove SE (it only exists as a SE) and I’m enjoying it. It’s a very old fashioned HOG, but they’ve fixed several of my complaints with the first one, the chief being that Jessica Fletcher wasn’t so much an investigator as a cleaner, tidying up for everyone everywhere she went.
This time they’ve gone for more traditional HOG scenes, without any justification, but it still works better. Now all her dialogue revolves around investigating, as it should do.

I like that there’s three cases, so that you can play bite-size adventures, and that they went pure murder mystery, you actually get to figure out the culprit along the way together with Jessica. I’ve played two so far, and though they weren’t the most complex cases, or had the best writing, it was fine, especially for a casual game. This time it feels more authentically “Murder she wrote”.

It still has some issues, the resolution is low and it doesn’t handle wide screen very well, and it has some targeting issues, but it’s a fun relaxing game to play when I just want to spend some hours with a HOG.

If you don’t mind an old-fashioned HOG game, this one’s worth a try. Smile

4/5

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’ve had some time off lately and have been going on a Casual Game tear.  Played Sacra Terra: Angelic Night CEand Sacra Terra: Kiss of Death CE.  I liked Angelic Night a little more, with the 7 deadly sins motif, but Kiss of Death was good as well.  They were not on the spreadsheet the last time I checked but should be imo.

Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town was very gripping and had a lot of gameplay.

House of 1000 Doors: Palm of Zoroaster CE and House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets CE were excellent too.  Alawar makes some very good games.

Empress of the Deep and Empress of the Deep: Song of the Blue Whale CE Were gorgeous and fun.  I played the former on my Android Tablet along with Time Mysteries-Inheritance and only wish more casual games were available for it.  It had an abrupt ending but was continued on the second game, which I thought was cheating.

Some other games were ok but rather forgettable, and I have already.

I will buy CE games exclusively now if they are available because of the extra gameplay, quite worth it if it’s as generous as the Alawar games.

While these games have already been mentioned, I thought I’d add my confirmation.  I thank all the posters in this thread for making such good suggestions and rtrooney for starting it and making the invaluable spreadsheet.  Here’s hoping we can keep it on the front page.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I forgot to mention that there was a glitch for me In House of 1000 Doors: Palm of Zoroaster. At the end of the Jerusalem section in the cave I didn’t have the eagle for the shield yet and when I went back to the fountain there was no hotspot.  So, when you are near the end of the third section, be sure to have everything done or you may not be able to go back.  I just started a new player and caught up pretty quickly and it was fine the second time.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dara100 - 28 February 2013 11:48 AM

They were not on the spreadsheet the last time I checked but should be imo.

To avoid any misunderstanding, the spreadsheet is a database of game publishers and their websites. It was created because the publishers will often have new games listed on their websites before they are available elsewhere, e.g. BigFish Games. The games that are listed are only examples of each publisher’s work.

And, while I had the idea for same, the credit for putting the Google spreadsheet concept together goes to frequent contributor Chudah. But, now that you mention it, the database does need to be updated. There are some new publishers out there that need to be added.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Yes, I realize that but since there are examples of their games on it, it would seem that the Sacra Terras could be added.  I used it to pick out some likely games and was not disappointed.  But your spreadsheet, your rules. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top