• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Has anyone tried Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn?  It got a 4.5 star review from Gamezebo, and both they and Big Fish label it an “adventure”.  It looks like it may not have any HOG scenes.  That, and the fact that it has gotten very poor reviews from the Big Fish user scores, make me very interested in trying it out.

Edit: I just noticed Chudah mentioned this game before.  I’d be interested in hearing what they thought.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I haven’t gotten around to playing The Turning Thorn yet, but played Witch’s Prison and that was completely an adventure game, no hidden object scenes at all.  From the BFG reviews, it looks the sequel is also solely an adventure title.  Once I get a chance to play through it I’ll share my thoughts.  I’m really looking forward to it, btw.

Just Finished - Grim Tales: The Bride CE, Sacra Terra: Angelic Night CE
Currently Playing - Angelica Weaver: Catch Me If You Can

Casual Game Developer List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE#gid=0

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

For once I found a game that was worthy of a CE purchase. Nightmare Realm 2 had a nice ending (I feel that so many casual games leave so much to be desired at the end of the game), some pretty creative puzzles (reminiscent of Drawn), unusually dark without being a HOG cliche(strong environments, powerful imagrey, etc), and a Bonus Chapter that was loads of fun and made me feel like crap and ties up a bit of the story.

What a fun game. A pleasant surprise. Ok, maybe not as I really enjoyed the first game.

Saw a new game on Big Fish called Otherworld: Omens of Summer. I don’t know, I like it when Big Fish puts disclaimers like this on the game’s profile. lol

WARNING: This game contains mature content which may not be suitable for all audiences.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m between a rock and you know what. As I mentioned in my post, I really liked the game. However, my game credit arrived today. Do I wait for a REALLY good sale and get the CE, even if that takes awhile? Or do I just get the SE? How much is the extra material worth? And by extra material, I mean the additional gameplay. To me, the wallpaper, strategy guide, etc are fairly worthless.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

rtrooney - 03 February 2013 06:21 PM

I’m between a rock and you know what. As I mentioned in my post, I really liked the game. However, my game credit arrived today. Do I wait for a REALLY good sale and get the CE, even if that takes awhile? Or do I just get the SE? How much is the extra material worth? And by extra material, I mean the additional gameplay. To me, the wallpaper, strategy guide, etc are fairly worthless.

I found the additional gameplay short. Though I don’t want it to be too long as I spent enough time in the main game. In essence, the game didn’t utilize the Bonus Chapter as a way to artificially extend the game. They didn’t throw a shit ton of HOGs at you. No, they actually made the bonus chapter feel like a literal addition to the game. I really hate it when some games have a good main game, then out of nowhere make a bonus chapter that feels like a ‘HOG playground’ more than a real component to the game.

Though if the choice wasn’t such a big deal, I say get the CE. In the end, you could buy the SE and watch someone play through the bonus chapter on a youtube walk-through. Wink

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I feel exactly the same way.  I’m only interested in the Collector’s Editions for the bonus gameplay, and honestly, the extra morphing objects just annoy me cause it pulls me out of the immersion I’ve built up exploring to that point.  I’m hoping BFG has another of those buy one, get one free sales this month, then I’ll probably pick up the new Otherworld and Surface games.  But I just can’t justify paying double the price for only another 1-2 hours of gameplay, no matter how good that gameplay is.

Just Finished - Grim Tales: The Bride CE, Sacra Terra: Angelic Night CE
Currently Playing - Angelica Weaver: Catch Me If You Can

Casual Game Developer List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE#gid=0

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Chudah - 04 February 2013 07:13 AM

I feel exactly the same way.  I’m only interested in the Collector’s Editions for the bonus gameplay, and honestly, the extra morphing objects just annoy me cause it pulls me out of the immersion I’ve built up exploring to that point.  I’m hoping BFG has another of those buy one, get one free sales this month, then I’ll probably pick up the new Otherworld and Surface games.  But I just can’t justify paying double the price for only another 1-2 hours of gameplay, no matter how good that gameplay is.

Based on previous posts, I think everybody mostly agrees in general about CE games.  Some of them can have fun add-on gameplay, but I think one would be hard pressed to come up with a single CE where the add-on gameplay was more fun or of greater value than buying an entire additional good SE game (and there seem to be plenty of those).  If the CE and SE prices were closer (like maybe a couple of bucks more for the CE after it’s been out awhile), I think it would be more reasonable.  But currently, the CE games always cost twice as much as an SE game.  There’s no way to justify that from a consumer standpoint.  I think that CE games make sense from a business standpoint for the developer (obviously someone buys these games).  I like that there are CE games because it probably keeps the prices of the SE versions lower over time than they would otherwise be.  For me, the only reason to buy a CE game is if you absolutely have to have it when it comes out, before the SE does (like a new MCF game or whatever).  But this is why I don’t play CE demos, because I don’t want to get caught up in a game and then be tempted to pay double price.  And I also don’t want to have to replay the first hour if I wait for the SE.  So, I say, stay strong and don’t get the CE.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 31 January 2013 09:04 PM

Has anyone tried Nightmare Adventures: The Turning Thorn?  It got a 4.5 star review from Gamezebo, and both they and Big Fish label it an “adventure”.  It looks like it may not have any HOG scenes.  That, and the fact that it has gotten very poor reviews from the Big Fish user scores, make me very interested in trying it out.

Edit: I just noticed Chudah mentioned this game before.  I’d be interested in hearing what they thought.

I’m playing it now. I think it’s quite good. It’s HOG-free, but that’s where the similrity with recent HOG-free ERS releases ends. this game is much more ‘Adventure-ish” than Dark Saga, for example. I certainly recommend playing with the tutorial at the beginning. It’s something I failed to do, (decided not to do, actually,) and found myself spending much more time doing things than was actualy required. I’m far from finished, but those are my initial impressions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

It looks like there is a new game coming out from the Drawn team… and it’s a mobile arcade game called Fetch.

Here is the link.

The game actually looks like a lot of fun, and like something I would enjoy to play.  But it’s a totally different direction.

Here’s the website’s description: “Fetch is a single-player mobile adventure/arcade game. Equal parts adventure and arcade, Fetch replaces the traditional brain-­-bending puzzles of the adventure game genre with high quality arcade experiences.”  Shifty Eyed or maybe that should be Money Mouth (I couldn’t find a scratching-head-in-confusion smiley)

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Interplay - 05 February 2013 09:25 AM

(I couldn’t find a scratching-head-in-confusion smiley)

Here you go:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I don’t know if I’m disappointed or not. Is it the mobile only part or the arcade experience. Then again, I’ve never much minded arcade experiences.

EDIT: Okay after watching the trailer, I have fallen in love with it. Looks absolutely great! Sadly….its mobile only. Frown

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Monolith - 05 February 2013 04:22 PM

EDIT: Okay after watching the trailer, I have fallen in love with it. Looks absolutely great! Sadly….its mobile only. Frown

I loved the trailer too.. But then I am a dog owner. I went through the “About” link and couldn’t find any specifics as to what “mobile” meant.

Is it designed for Apple products only? Will it run on a Kindle Fire? Or is the new Fire HD required. (Substitute any other device/platform.)

Personally, I consider games of this ilk to be tablet games, regardless of what platform they are designed to run on. I’ve tried to play games on a Galaxy S3, but no matter how great the phone is, my eyes aren’t good enough to navigate the smaller screen size. I’m pretty sure I would feel the same about any other non-tablet mobile device.

As to whether my eyes are good enough to play this game on a Kindle Fire, assuming it will available as an app for same, remains to be seen. (Pun intended.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

rtrooney - 05 February 2013 06:48 PM
Monolith - 05 February 2013 04:22 PM

I loved the trailer too.. But then I am a dog owner. I went through the “About” link and couldn’t find any specifics as to what “mobile” meant.

Is it designed for Apple products only? Will it run on a Kindle Fire? Or is the new Fire HD required. (Substitute any other device/platform.)

Personally, I consider games of this ilk to be tablet games, regardless of what platform they are designed to run on. I’ve tried to play games on a Galaxy S3, but no matter how great the phone is, my eyes aren’t good enough to navigate the smaller screen size. I’m pretty sure I would feel the same about any other non-tablet mobile device.

As to whether my eyes are good enough to play this game on a Kindle Fire, assuming it will available as an app for same, remains to be seen. (Pun intended.)

Most if not all the time, the developers will specify if its an exclusive to a specific brand. I’m pretty sure the product will be available on both android and ios. From what I understand, Kindle Fire uses a modified android os so I think we should find ourselves very lucky in this area. Sadly, I’d prefer to play said game on the pc. haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am just about to finish Nightmare Adventures - The Turning Thorn. If ever there was a game I would recommend for review, this is it. It is far more an adventure game than a casual game. It is inventory based, and interactive inventory based. Some of the puzzles you can do in your sleep. Others will leave you tossing and turning for nights on end.

There is no way this game can be completed without an occasional look at a walkthru. Some of the puzzles are that hard.

When I said I was just about to complete the game, I’m referencing the above comment. I tried to start solving the final puzzle. Does anyone remember the adventure game REAH? There was a trio of puzzles required to complete the game. One of the trio was a “small disk on large disk” puzzle that required almost 100 steps to complete it.

The final puzzle on this game requires 177 steps!

Great game. Good story. Quite hard.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

rtrooney - 06 February 2013 11:37 PM

I am just about to finish Nightmare Adventures - The Turning Thorn. If ever there was a game I would recommend for review, this is it. It is far more an adventure game than a casual game. It is inventory based, and interactive inventory based. Some of the puzzles you can do in your sleep. Others will leave you tossing and turning for nights on end.

There is no way this game can be completed without an occasional look at a walkthru. Some of the puzzles are that hard.

When I said I was just about to complete the game, I’m referencing the above comment. I tried to start solving the final puzzle. Does anyone remember the adventure game REAH? There was a trio of puzzles required to complete the game. One of the trio was a “small disk on large disk” puzzle that required almost 100 steps to complete it.

The final puzzle on this game requires 177 steps!

Great game. Good story. Quite hard.

This game sounds like it’s for me!  Thanks for your thoughts.  I will definitely plan on picking this one up at some point.  I’ll have to keep an eye out for the first one, too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top