• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Doesn’t Algeria have one more sub? Come on, change something, put Ghilas in he’s a good striker. Still 15 minutes to go.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 30 June 2014 05:32 PM

Van Basten used predominantly 4-3-3 in both 2006 worldcup and 2008 euro cup. And guess what, he lost twice in the first elimination round. At least we’re doing better now, since we stopped playing 4-3-3 exclusively.

Van Basten had the problem that he was more or less “in between” generations. Bergkamp, Overmars and the De Boers were gone, Van der Sar, Seedorf and Van Nistelrooij were ageing, and Sneijder, Robben and Van Persie still needed to grow.

Also, in 2006, the exit came because of a ref who couldn’t control the match against Portugal and started showing yellow card after yellow card after yellow card and the match ultimately devolved into a rugby match. And in 2008 you comfortably beat the “group of death” with France, Italy and Romania, and only lost because the other team was managed by greedy traitor Hiddink. Tongue

Lucien21 - 30 June 2014 05:57 PM

Kind of a weird time to try your stupid free kick routine from the training ground.

Do those things ever lead to goal? Even if you don’t fumble them so utterly moronic like Muller did?
I just don’t see the point. They drill into young players ever since they can walk that they need to look at the ball and not the movement by the opponent’s legs. Is anyone EVER surprised because one of the runners stepped over the ball???
Or in this case “fell before” the ball. Tongue

Anyway, highly entertaining match. I just wish they’d reserve the extra time (and penalty shoot-out) games for the earlier matches and not the late ones…
I have work tomorrow, damnit!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 30 June 2014 06:10 PM

Doesn’t Algeria have one more sub? Come on, change something, put Ghilas in he’s a good striker. Still 15 minutes to go.

There are some serious problem with these underdogs or Africans, they fail
to convert moves in penalty, they got so many golden chances.

And Germany’s goal was awesome.

I think Germans will score another, but good game by both Nigeria and Algeria.

And i think Eminike’s goal wasn’t offside but hey its Soccer.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 30 June 2014 06:04 PM

Goddamnit. It was almost looking good for Algeria. But their defense is really weak

With a goalie like that, the defenders can screw up from time to time. Tongue

Goes for both teams in this match. Neuer fixes what Mertesacker breaks.

Actually, that’s the one question mark I’ve always had with this German side. What the hell is so good about Mertesacker that he gets to play each time? How on earth does a horrible footballer like him get picked over Vermaelen at Arsenal? I just don’t get it.

Same goes for Van Buyten in Belgium.

nomadsoul - 30 June 2014 06:19 PM

It was offside, but only by a foot’s length.

And it’s football, not soccer! Pan Pan Pan

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 30 June 2014 06:19 PM
wilco - 30 June 2014 06:10 PM

There are some serious problem with these underdogs or Africans, they fail
to convert moves in penalty, they got so many golden chances.

And Germany’s goal was awesome.

I think Germans will score another, but good game by both Nigeria and Algeria.

Done, another goal.
Algerian players look dead now, out of stamina.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

2-1 but too late now I think.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2014 06:23 PM

Goes for both teams in this match. Neuer fixes what Mertesacker breaks.

Actually, that’s the one question mark I’ve always had with this German side. What the hell is so good about Mertesacker that he gets to play each time? How on earth does a horrible footballer like him get picked over Vermaelen at Arsenal? I just don’t get it.

Same goes for Van Buyten in Belgium.

Which begs the question if that defense will hold against France fast transitions. I don’t think Germany can play like this in the next round.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

France vs Germany

could be a decent game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

What a crazy match! And I’m going to be dead at work tomorrow. Frown

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2014 06:23 PM

And it’s football, not soccer! Pan Pan Pan

But US defeated Germany in WW2 Wink

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Perhaps they tried this routine -

Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hahaha Suarez delivers again in his apology, physical result of bite due to collision
rofl

Victim accepted

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2014 06:19 PM
subbi - 30 June 2014 05:32 PM

Van Basten used predominantly 4-3-3 in both 2006 worldcup and 2008 euro cup. And guess what, he lost twice in the first elimination round. At least we’re doing better now, since we stopped playing 4-3-3 exclusively.

Van Basten had the problem that he was more or less “in between” generations. Bergkamp, Overmars and the De Boers were gone, Van der Sar, Seedorf and Van Nistelrooij were ageing, and Sneijder, Robben and Van Persie still needed to grow.

Also, in 2006, the exit came because of a ref who couldn’t control the match against Portugal and started showing yellow card after yellow card after yellow card and the match ultimately devolved into a rugby match. And in 2008 you comfortably beat the “group of death” with France, Italy and Romania, and only lost because the other team was managed by greedy traitor Hiddink. Tongue

Well, all of these arguments kind of enforce that Van Basten’s 4-3-3 play was too risky, even when taking ridiculous referee decisions in the mix. At least back then, we had a fairly good defence and the results would have been better.
But I’ll leave you the last word Laughing

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I just discovered a nice little statement that perfectly describes Germany vs Algeria:

“57% of Brazil is covered by rainforest. The rest is covered by Manuel Neuer.” 

True words. Being from Germany, I don’t want to imagine what might have happened without Neuer.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

nomadsoul - 24 June 2014 11:19 AM

In halftime break whole Cameroon team was bought.

Hahaha i was right on the money

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/cameroon-soccer-federation-to-probe-match-fixing-claims-1.2692759

That Cameroon goalie was dead giveaway.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top