• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 29 June 2014 03:58 PM
Erwin_Br - 29 June 2014 03:50 PM

They didn’t really know what to do until the next drinking break.

Yet it was after the drinking break that the goals fell.
Better physical condition in the Dutch team?

Anyway, the Dutch tactic should be 4-3-3 at all times.
I’d stop hating on them then. Grin

Playing 4-3-3 only has never won us any prizes, at least not recently.
The switching between systems was well executed and surprised the Mexicans…..and even then, we just managed to scrape through by such a small margin. It could easily have gone wrong.

Switching 4-3-3 was pure necessity because of Mexico’s goal. I’m pretty sure that van Gaal will continue playing the 5-3-2 system, which given our level of defenders is a much safer approach, especially with potentially De Jong being injured for the remainder of the tournament.

The fitness level of the Dutch players is pretty good indeed and it shows. They apparently trained hard for these kind of matches…..where endurance is more important than even skill.

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It is indeed the shaky defense that prompted this approach. Van Gaal is actually a proponent of attractive football. His biggest surprise for me was putting striker Dirk Kuyt, already in his late 30s, in a left-wing back position. I did not even expect Kuyt to play this tournament, let alone in the back. He actaully changed positions 3 times during the game, adding to the confusement of the Mexicans. What a worker!

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 29 June 2014 04:12 PM

Playing 4-3-3 only has never won us any prizes, at least not recently.

And another tactic has?

Switching 4-3-3 was pure necessity because of Mexico’s goal. I’m pretty sure that van Gaal will continue playing the 5-3-2 system, which given our level of defenders is a much safer approach, especially with potentially De Jong being injured for the remainder of the tournament.

Be glad De Jong will be out. He’s a red card waiting to happen, just like Van Bommel used to be…

Anyway, Van Gaal’s 5-3-2 could have failed against Australia, Chile and now where the result could have gone the other way. I wouldn’t call that a safer tactic. A luckier one, maybe…
4-3-3 is the way to go.

The fitness level of the Dutch players is pretty good indeed and it shows. They apparently trained hard for these kind of matches…..where endurance is more important than even skill.

I’m pretty sure the Belgian team trained hard on this too. Explains why they’ve made the difference in the latter stages of the match each time. I just wish the first hour of the match wouldn’t suck so hard every time… Meh
Still hopeful our match against the US will be better than the group stage matches. Hopefully it’s similar to the friendly we played in the US last year, that was a highly entertaining match with 6 goals (2-4). Cool

Erwin_Br - 29 June 2014 04:27 PM

What a worker!

The biggest reason why I love Kuyt as a player. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Certainly it was more exciting than the 1-10 formation currently killing this evenings game.

Somebody PLEASE put the goddamm boring ass Greek team out of this tournament.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 29 June 2014 04:38 PM

Somebody PLEASE put the goddamm boring ass Greek team out of this tournament.

Costa Rica is going to do that, as soon as their last pass reaches its intended destination for once.
Luckily Navas (one of the best keepers of the tournament, after Ochoa) just prevented a Greek goal.

Whatever the result, though, Holland will be a semi-finalist, imo.
Where they’ll hopefully face Belgium. Innocent
And lose. Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 29 June 2014 04:33 PM
Erwin_Br - 29 June 2014 04:27 PM

What a worker!

The biggest reason why I love Kuyt as a player. Smile

I was surprised to see he was still playing in the national team, and at such a high level.

Costa Rica scored! That should open the game a bit

And now a penalty not called

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Greeks look bored, they already want to go back to Homeland.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Oh my god what a pathetically blatant dive from Robben. I mean, you’d think someone who dives so much as he does would have learned not to do it so badly. And yet he still has the nerve to do the flailing dying swan Then again, it totally sunk to the ref (of course, it seemed the refs were playing for Holland anyways, it was just one incredible call after another). This is actually worse than Müller’s faking the headbutt against Portugal… Pathetic. (Edit: and the replay shows there clearly is not the slightest touch on Robben, aside from a little tip-of-the-to thing he does himself).

I almost want Greece to come through now because I feel they might have a better chance to park their bus so that the Netherlands doesn’t win.

You know, Robben is one of those players (as well as Schneijder, actually) that whenever he plays for a team I’m rooting for he sucks, then when I’m rooting against him he suddenly plays amazingly (and gets penalties for these diving team dry jumps)

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oh my, Costa Rica left with 10, Greece bringing in an extra attacker.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Erwin_Br - 29 June 2014 05:35 PM

Oh my, Costa Rica left with 10, Greece bringing in an extra attacker.

So Greece is now playing with one attacker. Tongue
And Costa Rica keeping 10 men at the back.

I’ll take Robben’s diving over this any day.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 29 June 2014 05:23 PM

Oh my god what a pathetically blatant dive from Robben. I mean, you’d think someone who dives so much as he does would have learned not to do it so badly.

Herrera was fighting over this

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2014-06-29/world-cup-2014-miguel-herrera-shove-angry-mad-referee-official-mexico-netherlands-penalty

Also klinsman fired shots at FIFA

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2014-06-22/world-cup-2014-usa-portugal-jurgen-klinsmann-rigged-fixed-agree-to-tie-germany?iadid=EM/GRA/RightRail/sportingnews.com

The shit is fake, makes Suarez bites legit. Grin

Look at this shit no penalty given on this ???

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I cant believe! They did it again!! 90min

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Haha, yes that’s really bad.  However, Herrera and Klinsmann are just sore losers.

Ai Ai Ai, there goes Costa Rica… 1-1!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Ugh. Equalized.
Another half hour of this crap… Meh

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Crap. Extra time. I have to work tomorrow Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top