• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 1291

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I almost finished chapter 5 last night, and tonight I intend to finish it and chapter 6 too.

If I managed to do so, and considering almost everybody did, I would post the last chapter tomorrow.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1291

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ok, I finished chapters 5 and 6 (my comments later). As I think we are all eager to finish the game and see what happens, let’s go for…

Chapter 7: Death Do Us Part

After the shocking ending of chapter 6, it’s time to find out who is Victoria’s killer and how is everything connected with Gus case.

Feel free to end the game whenever you want. Be careful with the spoilers. Anyway, it would be good if everybody finishes the game in one week, so another CPT may be launched.

Let’s hope the ending will wrap everything up, although knowing there is an Still Life 2, I’m not so sure…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve run into another glitch. They are infrequent, but really annoying. This is the third glitch. Anyway ...

I’ve taken Todd’s coffee mug to the fingerprinting station. I’ve opened the can of powder, but when I click on the brush, the brush hovers shaking in mid-air. Same for the tape dispenser. Backing out of the scene and re-entering doesn’t change anything, so I saved the game and wrote this. I will try a re-load later, and will report back. Hopefully with good news.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Things got a little out of whack. When I reloaded the game things were not exactly as I left them. Todd’s mug should have been on the table, but it wasn’t. It had somehow migrated back to Todd’s desk. So I again picked it up and went back to the fingerprint station. Nothing had settled down, but with repeated clicking on the important things I was able to lift a useable fingerprint. This is not how it should have been, but it’s hard to argue with success. Hope everyone else is able to walk right through this puzzle.

I’m now in the Bomb Squad room, and decided I’ve pushed my luck as far as I want to today. Saved/Quit. Will give it some more effort tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I didnt have problems with the glitch you mentioned but the robot puzzle was pretty annoying. Must have tried at least 50 times before i finally got it. Now i m stuck, not sure what to do and I have checked all locations. I found a painting i can interact at home that seems to have something on the back side but not sure how i rip it. I ll play later tonight and see if i can finish the game.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did find that fingerprinting part glitchy myself.

But anyway I’ve just finished Still Life with more questions than answers.
Incidentally you do get to talk to Claire & get the info if you missed her before.

I couldn’t find any extra info though reading through everything. But what she tells you is that the killer’s MO has changed his pattern to match someone else rather than there being more than one killer? (Surely that means that there is more than one killer unless it’s someone in the past?)
If I’ve got the timelines right? It seems that a killer in LA kept body parts which would be in keeping with the latest victim in Chicago?

It does seem that Mark Ackerman is out of the frame if there was only one murderer.. but his father????

Who could it be in the present day though???? And what connection do they have to the past?

I did find the chapter the most infuriating puzzle-wise & the reason it’s never turned up in a favourites list of mine along with other games that developers like to suddenly throw in out-of-the -blue action, stealth, timed stuff uncharacteristic to the game as a whole! 

The worse puzzle is obviously trying to access the archive room by having to a manipulate a robot through a room of moving lasers. Actually, I didn’t mind the principle of it but thought it needed to be much easier. This time around I tried for a while then just downloaded a save to get past it. For me having to do that was preferable to having to try over & over & over & over etc again, as I did in the past finding that the developers annoyingly chose to disable the save function! i.e. you can’t do a bit save etc Pan

The other puzzle I didn’t care for was the one on Richard’s computer trying to locate where Mia might be by imputing words garnered from looking at the paintings.

Unanswered questions:
Who sold Richard MA’s paintings?
Who is the Queen of Secrets?
Who might the pupil be?

What we do know from Mia is that the Queen of Secrets hosted the events in the special club where the gents wore Victorian style dress, cloak + masks to hide to hide their identities. We can deduce that this is similar to the description in Ackerman’s Book of the Occult.

I’m looking forward to more thoughts?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have not finished but I have been speculating about some things.

One is that we are assuming the killer is male, even though there is no evidence that that’s the case. No can I think of a female suspect other than the un-named club lady.

Assuming Ackerman was in his mid-20’s while he was in Prague, he would have been at least 75 in 2005. If he’s not dead, his father certainly is. So even if he’s no longer in an institution, would MA even be physically capable of the recent atrocities?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I have also finished the game tonight. The ending made it clear that there was gonna be a sequel. This chapter was pretty hard, the hardest probably. I had to check a walkthrough twice. The first time i had missed an item lying on the floor and the second time about the final puzzle which i would never have solved alone without help. The spider puzzle was annoying but managed to solve on my own but i guess most people will have problems with it.

My overall impression of the game is positive. There are some puzzles that feel out of place and they are in the game just for the challenge and the gameplay and they dont really affect the story. I liked the story and i didnt mind the open ending.

I would have rated it 4 out of 5 stars but i ll give it a 3.5 because there are many confusing puzzles, with interface that isn’t well explained. Also some pixel hunting.

I liked the pace of the community run this time, i think 1 week per chapter was perfect. Thanks for the run.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK, I need some help. I’m at the mechanical spider/robot puzzle. I’m not even sure how the puzzle works anymore. I did solve it back in 2005, but I know I didn’t enjoy it then. The solution file was uploaded in 2006, wo it was unavailable when I first played the game.

So what help do I need. I know I Dl’d the lock pick puzzle solution and installed it. But now I try to do the same thing, but it isn’t working. I DL’d the robot solution. Un-zipped it. Copied it. And tried to paste it into the GOG/StillLife/SAV directory. It copies as a .SAV file folder, but when I start the game and try to load the game it’s not found. Any thoughts as to what I’m doing wrong?

I would hate to have come this far and get trapped at the penultimate puzzle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I copied & pasted a save game file too to get past the puzzle. You may have to relabel it? In my case the save was from 2005 so I just altered it to 2022. I’m not sure that’s what made it work? but it did.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Maybe your file was from a different source than mine. If you could give me a link, it would be greatly appreciated. Today is my birthday so I might be having a little more wine than usual. Will look for your answer tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

If you look online the route you need to take with the robot then its just a matter of execution. There are 2 spots you need to be fast. For me the hardest part with this was finding the route. After that if you memorise how to turn on those 2 spots it shouldnt take you more than a few tries to get it.

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I had trouble getting the save from after the robot working. I noticed that my saves were all in folders with the date on, so I made a new folder, copied the exact information from my last save, but changed the time by 5 mins, then copied the save game into it. Then it showed up in the game as my latest save.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 04 October 2022 08:45 PM

Maybe your file was from a different source than mine. If you could give me a link, it would be greatly appreciated. Today is my birthday so I might be having a little more wine than usual. Will look for your answer tomorrow.

skeeter_93 - 05 October 2022 03:43 AM

I had trouble getting the save from after the robot working. I noticed that my saves were all in folders with the date on, so I made a new folder, copied the exact information from my last save, but changed the time by 5 mins, then copied the save game into it. Then it showed up in the game as my latest save.

I missed that there is a save on Mystery Manor but am reluctant to give you my source as I ended up with a trojan (although the save was sound).

I’ve just tried the save from Mystery Manor - it turns up in the save file labelled StillLifeAfterRobotPuzz. I tried the game without relabelling it & it works perfectly well.

On the loading screen you see Victoria outside the door to the robot room so maybe it looks like nothing has changed. You just need to click on the door & walk through.

Happy belated birthday Tim!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That’s the same zipped file I have. But when I unzip it the file name is “StillLife.sav”. And when I copy it into the SAV directory it doesn’t do anything. And by doesn’t do anything I mean it doesn’t take on the appearance of the other save files which include date, time of save, etc. If I can’t find a solution it appears I will finish the game by watching a YouTube video. Not to my liking, but I don’t see an alternative.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top