• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Readers ratings/reviews problems

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’ve witnessed all sort of problems that happened to this site section during late years, so I wanted to create a separate topic just for that.

I had trouble finding them at all lately. For some reason both ratings and links to the readers reviews were completely removed from review pages (where one would naturally look for them in order to compare to the official AG articles), so you can access them only at the “Game information” page now. And even there the “What our readers think of” section could be found almost at the bottom of the page, far below the rest of the game-related info such as articles, news, screenshots and walkthroughs.

I can use Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse page as an example - I used it during the web surfing, because it’s one of the few games I reviewed, so I knew there were at least a couple of articles attached. Not long ago this was part of the review section along with the readers rating:

Now it’s almost impossible to find, especially on smartphones, with all the scrolling. What was the purpose of this move? Can’t speak for everyone, but I used to look for those every time I’d finished reading a new review in order to make a decision whether to buy the game or not. Now one can’t even tell if there’s a user rating at all, not to mention that many would likely not bother rating/reviewing games with this sort of design.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Hi Doom,

I’ve struggled with finding the natural location for these, for older reviews it’s simple but for new games the reality is that hardly any reader -ever- leaves a review, beyond an occasional star rating. That makes this box just look empty and odd.

One thing I could do is perhaps place this box when there -are- reviews by readers, the question is just how to best use the real-estate when there aren’t any. The CTA’s to place a review there are clearly not working (tried for a long time), so a new approach is needed.

I’m more then open to ideas here, if anything I’ve always been interested in figuring out how to make reader reviews more prominent, but with the lack of new reader reviews that has been a tougher nut to crack.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Hi, CaliMonk! Well, to me empty boxes never felt odd (a button and a welcoming sign don’t take much space anyway), more like inviting: “Nobody has said anything about the game yet, it’s your chance to be the first opinion maker!” Although it often takes me too much time to finish a game and even longer - to write a review, so I’m usually just reading. But I can try my best. Also an anticipated/controversial game (like Saint Kotar) is more likely to stimulate people to share their opinions than a simply ok adventure - and those always make a majority of releases.

Thing is, with this option moved to outskirts people will probably stop writing or rating anything at all. They expect others to see what they think, not just vent their emotions.

As for design, from my experience user ratings - if available - have been traditionally placed besides official ratings at review pages for comparison. Can’t say anything about user reviews, but most gaming sites I used to visit had user comments below the reviews. Right now AG’s review pages lack all those options, while, at the same time, they have this:

So we can’t rate nor review a game, yet we are offered 6 links to old random user reviews of random games that take much more space? How fair is that? Personally I would’ve killed this option along with “You don’t want to miss these articles” - another huge block with 9 links to 9 more random reviews. I understand that those blocks were probably meant to stimulate readers to do more clicking (I rarely use them, because they ARE random and not related to the reviewed game in any way), but currently they make little sense since the option to read/write a user review is unavailable.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Support me, adventure gamers! Let’s make our opinions matter again. Because it really sucks the way it is now…

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I only played four AGs this year, and none of them were released in 2021. So I’m not sure how much my support is worth, but you have it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I am late to the party, but looking up for the word “rating” (because I had a question) I got here.

Could it be possible that when you look up for a game, in “Articles on Adventure Gamers”  section, where it says “Read this review”, add an “Read users reviews” option?

And about my question, can I see my reviews/ratings anywhere? If so, where? If not, it would an useful new possibility.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Your reviews and ratings are here: https://adventuregamers.com/ratings/user/28373/

There should be a link to this towards the top of your public profile.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Dale - 20 June 2022 04:54 AM

Your reviews and ratings are here: https://adventuregamers.com/ratings/user/28373/

There should be a link to this towards the top of your public profile.

I found it, thank ypu so much!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top