• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Agent Parser - 15 November 2023 01:19 PM

@Jdawg445
I have no bone to pick in this discussion. But I will have to call you out on DS being 8hrs of gameplay. The minimum avg time for its main campaign was for me 30hrs with 7 of them being skippable cutscenes. According to howtobeat.com it’s plus 40hrs. Doing side missions extends them manyfold. Using your reasoning Adventure Games are a few seconds long because they pad out the gameplay with pixel hunting, backtracking and moon logic. DS has a myriad of gameplay loops that you will not find in Dear Esther and Gone Home which popularized so-called Walking Simulators.

You misunderstood what I said I think the game had a semi interesting concept and gameplay loop of about a 8 to 12-hour campaign, but it was stretched to 30 or 40 hours when it had no need to be that long. I think most games these days are too long but that’s a discussion for another topic. If you enjoyed it great but the whole thing rung hollow to me.  I still think it’s just an advanced version of a walking simulator and a huge downgrade from the mgs5 gameplay Loop. I didn’t care for the story much in Metal Gear Solid 5 but that is one of the few games where playing stealthy or all our action is equally satisfying and both are fully fleshed out.

On the opposite end of the Spectrum you have something like Assassin’s Creed where you can’t move bodies or go prone and the stealth game play is very basic even though the game is called Assassins Creed lol. Or a stealth game that tries to become an action game and fails miserably, like the later games in the splinter cell franchise. That’s what impressed me about Metal Gear Solid 5 it had completely two different gameplay Loops depending on the players choice of play style and both were fully functional and fleshed out.

I did not care for the story or the over the top ads and cameos in death stranding and I also didn’t care for the gameplay loop, to me which is my opinion was a huge downgrade from mgs5. Death stranding to me was a roided up version of a walking simulator stretched out to a playtime not necessary, to tell a bland meta-story.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This topic has strayed way off what it’s supposed to be about. If you want to carry on this conversation, feel free to start a new thread.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@Dale
My apologies for restarting the off-topic discussion. I’m new and thought that this needed more fact checking, only to be borderline gaslit afterwards. The lesson is learned.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Completed it a few days ago. Whereas I do not think it is as good as the original (maybe a bit nostalgia blinded there), I do think it is a fun game and a decent sequel. I actually like the switch the 3D, feels great to explore Union City in three dimensions. If there is one thing they definitely nailed was the environment design. Voice acting is pretty great too!

I do like that the plot attempts to do its own thing and that Union City has a different way of life from the original. The hacking mechanic is also a lot of fun, albeit overused perhaps. The music is sometimes good but is most often forgettable sadly.

Not too keen on the ending. Nor the simple puzzle that comes with it. The Joey running the city feels a million miles from Joey the vacuum cleaner. The plot never goes into why that is. It also ignores that Joey was known as Ken at the end of the first game. Perhaps a nitpick but I have no idea why this was ignored.

A surprisingly good sequel overall though! I would not recommend the Nintendo Switch port as it is quite rough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top