• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home → Forum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t had much time to look for it yet.  I hope to get some connected time later this afternoon.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 09 December 2014 07:31 AM

Well, how do you people progress thus far? Has anyone found the 2nd quest item yet?

Sorry, I haven’t really had time to play this part yet - I am however still in the CP and still expect/hope that I will meet the deadline, even if it might be in the last second.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Haven’t played all that much yet (been giving the Casual CPT a higher priority but that one’s finished now).

Got the talisman, and am halfway through the moustache.
Will probably get it this evening - I seem to remember more of this particular item hunt (probably something to do with the constant donkey cart remarks), so it shouldn’t take me long.

I also already have the spell and the camel-flage (found them through exploring - they’re not as hard to obtain as some of the other items)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 10 December 2014 06:49 AM

I also already have the spell and the camel-flage (found them through exploring - they’re not as hard to obtain as some of the other items)...

Yes, these two are easy to find. One of them requires some pixel-hunt though. I expect most of you will find them sooner or later.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I got the moustache, but it took me long enough. I think this game would be a lot easier with more descriptive commentary from the protagonist…
I hope you have some good guidance for the next part Sefir, cause I feel a bit lost.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have also got the moustache now.

Fortunately I already had already solved about 80% of this part, while looking for the talisman, and had almost every item in my inventory that I needed for this part, and had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do based on observations made during the last part. Pretty much all that there was left to do was some framing and cutting, so I completed this part in less that 1 hour Cool

My Rincewind’s new favourite pastime:

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Duck of Doom - 10 December 2014 11:52 AM

I got the moustache, but it took me long enough. I think this game would be a lot easier with more descriptive commentary from the protagonist…
I hope you have some good guidance for the next part Sefir, cause I feel a bit lost.

Seems to me that you are following the pace just fine!
Don’t worry. Many useful tips are coming tomorrow for the next quest item. Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Time to move to the next quest item [though we haven’t heard from Dag from some time now, Lady K is probably still in the donkey-tail moustage search,TimovieMan was close to it and Karlok is off (and we seriously hope she changes her mind)]. The birthmark! In the path to obtain it you will meet my personal favorite riddle of the game and of course many really funny moments!! It is also a difficult item to obtain. You have until the 17th of December to find it!

Tip 1: Why the **** you need a birthmark? Couldn’t a tattoo have the exact same effect?
Tip 2: Now where could we find an expert to the subject?
Tip 3: That damn dog (This is the famous Gaspode the wonder dog btw)!! Use some kind of trap to keep his mouth closed.
Tip 4: Have you seen any place with lots of birds on Disc? But of course!!
Tip 5: “Polly wants a cracker”. I had stumbled there for many hours when I played the game for the first time. It appeared to be one of my biggest OMG moment ever when I realized what I had to do. Just give the damned bird what it wants!! It is smart and hillarious. Grin Grin Grin
Tip 6: One of the most absurd riddles in all the game. If not in the entire gaming history. The net is too small. You need an extension. You need to combine 3 items. The snake, the fertilizer and the stretch (to find the last one, you should put some light in a mystery in the UU). You know what to do next. You’ve done it before. Wink
Tip 7: The Archchancellor is still looking for his hat. Have you looked?
Tip 8: Dunnyman doesn’t need his machine any more. Feel free to destroy it (and obtain a useful item in the process)
Tip 9: Helpful Reminder: The pole where you picked up the Dragon Breath (first meeting with Death) is exactly on top of the city square.
Tip 10: Always a fan of extreme sports.  Smile

EDIT: I expect that in this rate, we will have this playthrough finished before 2015. After this week there will be only another 1 hard-to-find quest item, 2 easy ones and ACT IV which is only a matter of minutes! You are near the end! So don’t get discouraged!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 12 December 2014 02:57 AM

That damn dog (This is the famous Gaspode the wonder dog btw)!!

There was a note about him on the bulletin board (near the old farts at the city square) in the previous act.

IIRC, I think it boiled down to: “LOST! Small dog, answers to the name Gaspode. Very talkative. If found, keep.” but I could be misremembering things… Tongue

That note as well as seeing him here are two references that went over my head the first time I played this (pre-Discworld Noir), but it makes me wonder, though. His portrayal here looks nothing like his portrayal in Discworld Noir. Here he appears much more cartoony and clownish, but in Discworld Noir he was a snarky sarcastic dog that looked a lot more filthy as well…

Is this just one of the liberties they took for this game, or did his portrayal in the books change as well over time?

Tip 5: “Polly wants a cracker”. I had stumbled there for manty hours when I played the game for the first time. It appeared to be one of my biggest OMG moment ever when I realized what I had to do. Just give the damned bird what it wants!! It is smart and hillarious. Grin Grin Grin

Now I remember! I was wondering when I was going to need the firecracker with the longest/slowest fuse ever as it’s been lit for two acts already. I remember thinking it was ingenious, but I had forgotten the details…

Ooh, right, this is also the part where we dangle off the Disc to retrieve an item that went over the edge. Loved that sequence!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 12 December 2014 11:56 AM

That note as well as seeing him here are two references that went over my head the first time I played this (pre-Discworld Noir), but it makes me wonder, though. His portrayal here looks nothing like his portrayal in Discworld Noir. Here he appears much more cartoony and clownish, but in Discworld Noir he was a snarky sarcastic dog that looked a lot more filthy as well…

Is this just one of the liberties they took for this game, or did his portrayal in the books change as well over time?

Strangely enough, the Discworld Noir portrayal seems to be more close to the novels version of Gaspode. He is indeed a filthy, cynical, smart within his own logic yet a good hearted street dog.
The novel Moving Pictures is the one that he is introduced for the first time.

In general, there are Discworld novels with much more serious tone than others and, while humorous, the tone is not always so bright. This sometimes reults to (or it is a result from) great character development. I find Gaspode being exactly that. This game doesn’t give much attention to detail concerning major Discworld characters and they are actually introduced as caricatures of themselves (this is even more obvious with Nanny Ogg IMO). Funny, but without depth. Serves its purpose of introducing someone to the Discworld universe well though….
Discworld Noir on the other hand manages to produce better characters throughout a darker story.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So I take it that was their intent with this game: having this game serve as an introduction to the Discworld universe by using simpler (less developed) caricatural versions of characters?

Good thing it actually was my introduction to the Discworld universe, then. Tongue

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 12 December 2014 04:35 PM

Good thing it actually was my introduction to the Discworld universe, then. Tongue

Worked for me just fine too… Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve been a little behind, I’ve had less time to play lately, but I finally managed to get the talisman and the moustache!

At first I thought we needed to somehow steal the moustache from the troll, but fortunately I re-read Sefirs tips and stopped spending so much time in the psychiatrickerist waiting room Tongue

Also, I didn’t find any scissors at first. I wanted to cut the donkey’s tail with the knife, but that didn’t work!

I even looked for a pair of scissors at the barber’s, but couldn’t find any. I thought to myself, isn’t there supposed to be a pair of scissors here? But then I concluded that no, that was Curse of MI.. Some time later though, I decided to have another look, and whaddyaknow, there they were! Smile Not the first pixelhunt that has had me stumped this time around. Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I need help getting the mustache.  I cleaned and read the license plate on the cart and tried to cut the donkey’s tail with the scissors.  Ouch!  After much to-ing and fro-ing and checking the hints here, I peeked at a walkthrough, and it told me to get the knife from the hovel.  The trouble is, I can’t get into the hovel again.  I thought I might have to go back to nighttime in L space, but that conversation doesn’t work anymore, despite the banana trick.  I also may have picked up the knife earlier in the game, but it’s not in either inventory, so it may have been something else I got from the hovel.  Any ideas?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lady Kestrel - 13 December 2014 10:46 PM

I need help getting the mustache.  I cleaned and read the license plate on the cart and tried to cut the donkey’s tail with the scissors.  Ouch!  After much to-ing and fro-ing and checking the hints here, I peeked at a walkthrough, and it told me to get the knife from the hovel.  The trouble is, I can’t get into the hovel again.  I thought I might have to go back to nighttime in L space, but that conversation doesn’t work anymore, despite the banana trick.  I also may have picked up the knife earlier in the game, but it’s not in either inventory, so it may have been something else I got from the hovel.  Any ideas?

Does this mean you no longer have the ladder with the bra attached to it?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: Home → Forum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top