• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Life is Strange was a huge success in sales figures and I guess also in terms of how much people look information about it. It still is the most viewed blog post I’ve written, despite I’ve never posted a link on that particular blog entery anywhere.

But yeah, KQ doesn’t seem to be that hot, not on PC at least. I do hope it’s doing better on the consoles, but as far episodic gaming goes, it does look to me, that Telltale and DontNod are the only companies that have managed to pull that format off, at least what comes to sales numbers.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 26 April 2016 06:50 AM
nomadsoul - 25 April 2016 07:32 PM

Waiting on series to finish first.
Dreamfall still not done yet?
Episodic curse continues.

This is at least the wait is more bearable since the episodes are self-contained.

The game does not seem to be doing that well is sales, unless the console numbers are high. I compare it to Life is Strange that with each new episode there were more people talking about it and in here it just seems to be going under the radar. Doesn’t seem like there’s a big push by Activision also. I hope this doesn’t reflect in the last 3 episodes quality and it does take off when it’s done.

LiS theme and content pulled off sales.
Lesbians, Female lead done right, highschool real life problems , realistic setting etc.
Majority of my female pals were all over it, so that alone bring $.
Its first about whats in nowadays in contemporary market than anything else.
Twd sales vs Tftb sales prove it further, later being better sold lowest even with 10m bl2 sales.
Nobody wants Disneysque old ip revival perhaps. Mini Frown

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

its an extreme shame because i thought the first episode was fantastic. Second episode had a clear big drop off in quality. Recycled a lot, had broken animations etc. Still their skills as designers showed through in the episode.. and so i optimistically venture to the third episode.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Its not fair enough to compare the new King’s Quest with Life is Strange, as those two falls under two different areas; genre and audience wise, plus it’s too early, these things with episodic nature have their way of growth thru publicity and time, maybe the least you can compare it Dreamfall Chapters.

also according to Dave Gilbert The risks of using Steam Spy to evaluate a dev’s performance article it sheds some light over those steam sales numbers.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

No method is perfect (except being in the head of the people who know the sales #s).. But one method i like to use to judge if a game has sold well is the counts on steam reviews. For example: KQ has 850 reviews.. which would be decent for an indie dev (which they are not). Whereas LiS has 44,500.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

daleks13 - 25 April 2016 08:54 PM

Is the Trailer for Chapter 3 out yet ?

Launch trailer got me hyped! Shall be playing it today if all goes well

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-06-30

PM

wilco - 26 April 2016 11:00 AM
daleks13 - 25 April 2016 08:54 PM

Is the Trailer for Chapter 3 out yet ?

Launch trailer got me hyped! Shall be playing it today if all goes well

Wow thanks looks great

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Is that a bit of “Girl in the Tower” mixed in there?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 26 April 2016 12:20 PM

Is that a bit of “Girl in the Tower” mixed in there?

good ears Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Episode’s out on steam.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Great trailer! I’m excited. Smile

wilco - 26 April 2016 06:50 AM

The game does not seem to be doing that well is sales, unless the console numbers are high.

It didn’t make it into the preview, but when I talked to Matt Korba at GDC he mentioned promotions on Playstation and Xbox that did really well.

Also this:

Did you have a lot of people who bought the full season at the beginning?

We did extremely well. I mean, I’m not allowed to talk numbers or anything, but we did extremely well with the season pass. We were very happy with the ratio of people that bought one episode versus the whole season.

Of course, people will always say sales are good when asked about it in an interview, but his enthusiasm seemed genuine. Comparing sales of KQ to sales of Life Is Strange is apples and oranges; what matters is whether the sales meet/exceed projections or not, and if Activision feel they got a good return on their investment.

I think Life Is Strange is a special case for a lot of reasons and I honestly wouldn’t expect a King’s Quest game to have the same momentum. But that doesn’t mean the game isn’t a success.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ahah, nice cameo at beginning, already promising

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

And done.

That was lovely! The scope is not sas big as the 1st episode and it is very streamlined but was really enjoyable. Well written and lots of funny moments, just be ready for that saccharine. Smile I enjoyed both new characters.
I’m really curious about the variations in the choices, there seems to be a lot in this episode.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i like it so far. It definitely doesnt feel as recycled as the 2nd episode did. Theres no question in my mind this developer does good stuff and is doing good things for the kq name.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Easily the best chapter in the series so far. I LOVED this one!! It stayed fresh and fun throughout, kept you guessing and had the best characters of any of the 3 episodes!! I loved seeing how the threads finally started to intertwine with the old games. The little nods to KQ 5 and 6 were very special and I will admit, when that “Girl in the tower” theme started playing, I got a little teary eyed. This one went straight to my heart.

Episode Ranks:

1st: Once upon a climb
2nd: A knight to remember
3rd: Rubble without a cause

P.S. Did anyone else feel like Hagatha could have been pulled straight out of a Jim Henson movie? Too cool!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top