• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

noknowncure - 23 January 2014 07:25 PM
darthmaul - 23 January 2014 07:03 PM
noknowncure - 23 January 2014 03:57 PM
darthmaul - 23 January 2014 03:23 PM
noknowncure - 23 January 2014 09:24 AM

I do like the idea that the very last cent was spent with the completion of the first half, with no progress whatsoever made on the second.

You are beating a strawman.

How so? I was just remarking that an idea amused me. I genuinely don’t care about the financial background of the game either way.

You misrepresented an argument in order to attack a fake, weaker argument, that no one made.

Look closer Darthie:

For someone accusing me of creating fake arguments, you’re doing that yourself. Whereabouts is the argument in the above quote of mine? It was simply a whimsical idea that the previous post provoked. Do you have a persecution complex, as the only argument in my quote is entirely within your mind?

So, you were referring to an idea that only existed in your own head?  Don’t be ridiculous.

Persecution?  What in the world are you talking about?

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Yup, the post prior to mine made me envision the scenario I described.

You’re seeing arguments that aren’t there. Classic signs of a persecution complex. Again, where in my post, that begins “I do like the idea…” is there any indication that I’m using the post as a genuine means to undermine anyone? There isn’t any because it wasn’t intended as such.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 23 January 2014 03:39 PM
Jim Purcell - 23 January 2014 03:27 PM
darthmaul - 23 January 2014 03:23 PM

and games split into parts weaken a game to begin with!

As someone who reads serialized fiction on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly basis, I don’t agree. At all.

Games are not books.  Smile

IceCold

Aint movies either.
Doing math its 1 hour for 1 million.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lambonius - 23 January 2014 05:55 PM
Jim Purcell - 23 January 2014 04:33 PM

No. But they are storytelling media. The same principles apply.

No, they are interactive media that entertain through a variety of methods, sometimes tests of reflexes and skill, sometimes tests of intellect, sometimes pattern recognition, hand-eye coordination, etc.  Occasionally, they incorporate narratives as a device to enhance and/or tie together those other disparate elements.  Smile

This should be written in bold letters on every game Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Well, I intended to wait, but I went ahead and played Act 1 Tongue I haven’t read any impressions of the game so here are mine, untainted by the needless vitriol of the internet.

First off, contrasting Broken Age with Broken Sword 5 (another 50% released Kickstarter adventure), you really see where Double Fine’s millions come in. The production values are through the roof compared to Revolution’s game (and most other adventures), and it makes a huge difference to the feel and atmosphere. The sheer amount of screens/locations alone must be double, if not triple the amount found in Broken Sword, and the game’s half as long. Obviously the art style of BA allows for more scenes because they’re not as detailed, but it’s not just the amount that’s impressive—it’s the incidental details and background animation. I know it’s unrealistic given budgetary constraints, but playing BA made me dream of a version of BS5 with more characters, animated backgrounds, different camera angles etc. etc.

As for Broken Age itself, I really, really enjoyed it. It has a magical quality to it. The game is just brimming with imagination and life (a few scenes looked slightly rushed but whatevs). I found both character’s stories engrossing, especially how they parallel each other, and the voice actors play a huge part. They’re simply incredible—another thing I wish BS5 had, outside of George.

I thought the puzzles ranged from easy to clever. Everything flowed nicely, perfect for this type of adventure. Cannot wait for Act 2, and the next part in the documentary, which was one of the main reasons I decided to play it early.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

This is totally speculation, but I’m curious how well Broken Age is doing in term of sales, and it looks like it’s not the hit they hoped.
I’m comparing it to Dayz, a game that also recently came out, and for which sales numbers have been revealed.
Dayz: sold 1 million copies in 4 weeks:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/13/dayz-sold-a-million-copies-in-four-weeks/
Dayz: had approximately 23K online players those first 4 weeks (on average through steam player numbers)
http://steamcharts.com/app/221100#3m
Therefore: 23K online players~ 1M sales
Broken age: this is tricky, but they had approximately 300 online players
http://steamcharts.com/app/232790#3m
According to the same logic, 300 online players ~ 13k sales (in 4 weeks).

However, Broken Age also has approximately 90k backers, and they sent out keys for the press. And steam charts tracks all online players, not only the ones that bought it through steam.
Therefore, they only thing I can conclude is that my calculation doesn’t make any sense Smile

any thoughts?

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

another game that sold 1M copies (rust), has an average of 33k players.
http://www.thebigbush.com/Rust-Sells-Over-One-Million-Copies
http://steamcharts.com/app/252490#3m

But that took them 2 months….

Another case: Double Fine’s Spacebase Df-9
The game cost 400K, and they sold enough copies within 2 weeks. At 25$ a piece, this is approximately 1600 copies.
http://indie-fund.com/2013/11/spacebase-df-9-recoups-investment-in-two-weeks/
http://steamcharts.com/app/246090#6m
In October, they had 175 players, hence 175 players ~ 1600 copies (in 2 weeks).
For broken age, that would mean approximately 2700 sold copies in 2 weeks. And over 2 months, 10k. Still doesn’t make any sense… Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

DayZ is an MMO. Broken Age is a single-player game that can be completed in a few hours. Obviously the former is going to have more players on-line at a given time.

(I’m not saying that BA has been as successful as DayZ. Clearly it hasn’t. But you really can’t estimate how successful it has been based on the number of on-line players.)

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 February 2014 01:50 PM

DayZ is an MMO. Broken Age is a single-player game that can be completed in a few hours. Obviously the former is going to have more players on-line at a given time.

(I’m not saying that BA has been as successful as DayZ. Clearly it hasn’t. But you really can’t estimate how successful it has been based on the number of on-line players.)

Yes I know, the math and assumptions don’t make sense, as my 3 examples show. I was just hoping for a big break for Double Fine, which it seems is unfortunately not the case.
I’m curious whether they’ll reveal the sales in the documentary…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You also need to take in account that DF9 is an early access title, so that most likely has a negative effect on sales. I don’t recall it having been very high, or at all, on the top 100 list either, where as BA spent at least a month in 20-50.

Of course the game won’t be a humongous system seller, but in the end I’d reckon it will make a decent profit for Double Fine, especially after it’s been released to mobile platforms.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

jaap - 17 February 2014 02:05 PM

[
I’m curious whether they’ll reveal the sales in the documentary…

I’d be disappointed if they didn’t, they have been open about everything, so I think sales are also point they’ll adress, but maybe after the release of the second part.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Someone mentioned at the DF forums that there should be some talk about sales numbers in the future episodes. I don’t recall if it was some on from DF or just someone who had asked. But at some point we should hear something more official.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah, cant compare online players to multiplayer games, that doesnt make any sense. Broken age spent a decent amount of time in steams top 100, so it probably sold okay. It certainly didnt sell amazingly, or we wouldv heard so by now.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Did everyone get a bunch of 25% discount coupons on Steam? What is going on?

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

wilco - 19 February 2014 04:42 PM

Did everyone get a bunch of 25% discount coupons on Steam? What is going on?

Yeah, I guess it was a (successful, since the game jumped back into the Top10 bestseller list) stint to reinvigorate sales; I think You get a coupon for every Double Fine game in Your library.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top