• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

You’ve got to be joking. Fair enough if it was £50 etc, but 1 measly dollar!

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Tad - 13 April 2014 11:50 AM

You’ve got to be joking. Fair enough if it was £50 etc, but 1 measly dollar!

I don’t even agree that its ‘fair enough’ even if it was for a significant amount. A donation is as donation. If you’re not willing to take the risk in getting something you don’t necessarily want (especially on something with a vague description) that’s your business. Its a donation, you are not paying for services. Its a fine line, but there is a distinction.

There’s a difference between legitimate criticism and being needlessly harsh because the final product didn’t live up to your over inflated expectations.

Did Double Fine mismanage their funds? That’s debatable. My impression has been, Tim got a little to over ambitious early on, but by the time they realized they had done so it would have cost MORE money to start over again.

These kind of Kickstarter projects have no road map, much like building the first space craft to land on the moon its absolutely not shocking it ran over budget.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

True, a donation is a donation. 

I’m not sure I agree on the rest though. Schafer isn’t a fumbling kid. He’s been in this game a while now and should know better, and I think it’s fair to say many of those that donated probably expected more. Of course, I don’t blame Schafer for their opinions and I don’t think it’s right to ask for their donation back. This will probably effect Schafer’s reputation though. I don’t think it will damage Kickstarter mind. There has been plenty of good come out of it already.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Tad - 13 April 2014 09:05 AM

Revolution did far more with Broken Sword 5 with less money for example.

To be fair, Broken Sword 5 lacks a lot of the small details that made the world of Broken Age feel more alive—little animation flourishes, visual effects, NPCs that fill out the space. I would’ve loved for BS5 to have those things, but it’s still impressive what Revolution have managed to pull off with their limited budget—especially considering their game is twice as long as Double Fine’s and is almost complete, while Act 2 of Broken Age is only just beginning.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Game now is in Beta Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 18 February 2015 07:54 PM

Game now is in Beta Smile

Good thing , it will be here soonish.
Should have not mentioned Molyneux, although he mentioned his similar condition.
Devs cannot have it bothways.
Molyneux and other Devs need to be grilled by Journalists like Hollywood stars and politicians.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

nomadsoul - 18 February 2015 09:53 PM

Good thing , it will be here soonish.
Should have not mentioned Molyneux, although he mentioned his similar condition.
Devs cannot have it bothways.
Molyneux and other Devs need to be grilled by Journalists like Hollywood stars and politicians.

I dunno on that one. Molyneux has definitely gone over the top in this situation.. But in general i think it has to be expected that devs dont know what theyr talking about in time estimates.. and thats a risk you take when joining a kickstarter.
But that whole curiosity reward thing… the hype and concept of it was dumb… and then the fact he couldnt follow through with it was even worse.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say PM has had it coming for a long time, as he has always been too much of a dream painter, whose games very often end up being much less what he has envisioned. That wouldn’t necessarily be an issue with many devs, but PM very often speaks with such passion that many people can’t help but to fall in the dream with him and after they wake up, well, it can be a hard awakening.

Though I do strongly disagree with the way the whole thing has been handeled. John Walker was agrressive, spitefull and just out to get his pound of flesh with no intention for objectivity.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

This interview is priceless
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

tomimt - 19 February 2015 01:30 AM

Though I do strongly disagree with the way the whole thing has been handeled. John Walker was agrressive, spitefull and just out to get his pound of flesh with no intention for objectivity.

I don’t know much about the Molyneux situation or if it is justified, but I knew that Walker guy was an asshole the moment I read his “Moebius” review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/
It was also very spiteful and that idiot more or less implied that Jane Jensen is a sexist and mysoginist.

He really represents what’s wrong with “journalist” on the modern major game sites - only acerbic, venomous click-baiting without substance or relevance for the audience interested in games.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

That guy and Richard Cobbett are most probably sexist misogynists who are trying to pathologically project their sentiment on everything around them, I’ve never seen anyone so obsessed with these themes to see them absolutely everywhere around them.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Abnaxus - 19 February 2015 06:02 AM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

Indeed it is, hard talk of gaming, was laughing hard on questions as well as PM answers.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I find it harder and harder to support kickstarters… its just a total gamble. For instance, take godus and sunless sea. Both set out a 7-ish month time frame to complete their game. From their pitch and concept art, who couldv guessed which one would have an awesome game in 1.5 years. Sunless sea is complete and amazing, while godus is a mess full of question marks 3 years later.
Even if tim schafer came out with another kickstarter, and even if i loved broken age.. would i back them again? Not sure… it would just feel like a total gamble. Thinking back on various projects id say ultimately, not counting massive delays against them, these game kickstarters have an 80ish% “success” rate…. but its really hard to predict who falls into that 20ish%.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2015 06:45 AM
Abnaxus - 19 February 2015 06:02 AM

Indeed it is, hard talk of gaming, was laughing hard on questions as well as PM answers.

eheh, every interview should open with “Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?” loool

About Broken Age, do backers get access to this beta?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

If I were Peter Molyneux, I would have slammed the phone in the RPS interviewer’s face after this: “Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?”

Wow, to call someone a pathological liar is so degrading and demeaning, regardless who it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top