• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04DaleOOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Monkey Island 25 year - Gilbert wanting to complete his trilogy

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I agree I played monkey island 1 when I was 8 or 9 and was never scared, it was a very cartoony game, which I loved and still too. I also agree with most that MI3 is the best game in the series, it took the best concepts of the first two games to the next level and made them even more fun. all the characters were awesome and the voice acting was pitch perfect.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Oscar - 25 May 2016 08:58 AM
TimovieMan - 25 May 2016 07:37 AM
Oscar - 24 May 2016 11:39 PM

I would be interested to see how Gilbert gets around the fact that he concluded the series, if he ever plans to make a new game.

But he didn’t really, did he? Why else would “Little Chucky”‘s eyes glow red, AND would we get an after-credits scene of Elaine wondering if LeChuck put Guybrush under some spell or something?

Hmm. Forgot about that. You know your MI better than me.

I remember it—a clear sign that a sequel was planned—or so I thought the first time I finished MI2.

The fact is, the two universes are very different. LeChuck stopped being threatening after MI2 and turned into a virtual caricature. I do think the more menacing LeChuck would work well in a modern, less cartoonish visual style closer to MI1 and 2. Gilbert would need to throw a lot of stuff out from 3-5.

If the game was set between MI2 and MI3, what happened in MI3, MI4, or Tales wouldn’t matter.
It wouldn’t negate anything that happened in MI3 or later because it would have happened before those games.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 25 May 2016 08:58 AM

Hmm. Forgot about that. You know your MI better than me.

What can I say? I’m the resident LucasArts fanboy… Wink

The fact is, the two universes are very different. LeChuck stopped being threatening after MI2 and turned into a virtual caricature. I do think the more menacing LeChuck would work well in a modern, less cartoonish visual style closer to MI1 and 2. Gilbert would need to throw a lot of stuff out from 3-5.

I don’t think LeChuck was all that threatening in the first two games, either. And the games were not cartoonish in visual style, but they were VERY cartoonish in content. Guybrush getting blown out of a cannon with a pot as a helmet? Deadly Piranha Poodles? The entire breaking-and-entering sequence? Rubber tree? Catapult-destroying your ship? Increased cannibal jail door security? How to get ahead in navigating? The town made out of boats? Sawing off a wooden leg? The Rube Goldberg method of lowering prisoners in an acid pit? Stan? The Phatt Island governor? The piano-playing monkey?
I could go on…

MI3 didn’t change the visual style to change the entire MI universe. They changed it to be more consistent with its own contents, imo.
Basically, they took what was already there and ran with it.

crabapple - 25 May 2016 12:23 PM

It wouldn’t negate anything that happened in MI3 or later because it would have happened before those games.

But it would require ending with Guybrush out at sea in a bumper cart, and you can’t have LeChuck in it, since he’s at Guybrush’s eventual destination trying to “woo” Elaine.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

BTW, Escape is the most “goofier” Monkey Island game around, and not Curse. I’d go that far to say that Tales is also goofier than the Curse. (not to say that’s necessarily bad)

Also, (big) part of the charm of the first two Monkey Island games is exactly the odd contrast between the realistic style of graphic art mimicking old swashbuckling movies and literature, and a cartoony, absurd content. Perhaps it wouldn’t be much praised now, but then it was novel. Even the Remastered Editions crew had their doubts about it (or budget) and just cartoonized (not necessarily bad) it, instead of making it a worthy update to Chan/Purcell’s painterly art (this fan art always springs to mind when giving it a thought). The third part is just a different animal in that regard, it’s comic all the way, and the fact that we haven’t witnessed more beautiful graphics in that subgenre since, surely helped. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 25 May 2016 02:01 PM
crabapple - 25 May 2016 12:23 PM

But it would require ending with Guybrush out at sea in a bumper cart,

I don’t see how that would be a problem.

and you can’t have LeChuck in it, since he’s at Guybrush’s eventual destination trying to “woo” Elaine.

He could certainly return to gloat over Guybrush’s misfortune after being rebuffed by Elaine a few times.

MI3 was pretty vague about what happened immediately after MI2. There’s nothing that precludes a story from fitting in there, and ending either with the situation at the start of MI3 or some time before then.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

crabapple - 25 May 2016 03:39 PM

MI3 was pretty vague about what happened immediately after MI2.

Because Larry Ahern was really careful, and explained just enough for a casual Monkey Island player who played previous games, and not for a die-hard fan of the first two parts.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top