• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBoVeoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Monkey Island 25 year - Gilbert wanting to complete his trilogy

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

good thing the actual monkey island 3 is fantastic, and gilberts opinions about the genre are largely rubbish Tongue

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 24 May 2016 05:44 PM

good thing the actual monkey island 3 is fantastic, and gilberts opinions about the genre are largely rubbish Tongue

Wat opinions about genre?

Link

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Diego should have posted his I want this game link here. As the credits scroll, you see all the great names of people not named Ron Gilbert who contributed to the MI phenomenon. Don’t think Gilbert retains any credibility WRT a continuation of the MI IP.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Whatever happened after Monkey Island 2, it seemed that some time had passed before the start of Monkey Island 3. Monkey Island 3 was very different in appearance, in using the coin instead of verbs, in having voices and singing, and in being the start of a completely different story.

Six years passed between the publication of Monkey Island 2 and the publication of Monkey Island 3, and it wouldn’t surprise me if about that much time passed in Guybrush’s world too. I’d like to see the story that was cut off at the end of Monkey Island 2 continued in a game in the style of the first two Monkey Island games. Maybe call it “Monkey Island: The Missing Years” or “Monkey Island 2: Part 2” or something instead of giving it a number.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

crabapple - 24 May 2016 11:32 PM

Six years passed between the publication of Monkey Island 2 and the publication of Monkey Island 3, and it wouldn’t surprise me if about that much time passed in Guybrush’s world too. I’d like to see the story that was cut off at the end of Monkey Island 2 continued in a game in the style of the first two Monkey Island games.

It wasn’t cut off though, was it? It was concluded. MI3 pretends the conclusion never happened. It had to, really.

I would be interested to see how Gilbert gets around the fact that he concluded the series, if he ever plans to make a new game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Two things, MI3 is my personal favourite in the series and I really wouldn’t start holding my breath about Dinsey selling IP’s. Disney simply does not do that, as if they get their hands on something, it’s theirs and they don’t share. They might licesne, but they want to retain the ownership.

So, the only way for Gilbert to do an another Maniac Mansion or MI would be that he’d be working under license, not as an owner.

If he’d be doaing an another MI game, hypothetically speaking of coure, I’ve got a feeling that he’d just ignore games that came after MI2. Which, I think, would be a shame, as just as I said, I think MI3 is the best game in the series.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Why don’t Gilbert just name the hero Guybrush Threepweed, name the game Monkee Island, and make the “third game” already.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It’s still called Curse of Monkey Island, not “Monkey Island 3”, same as Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island. There was probably no intention to continue the series started by Gilbert and his team, but rather make a spin-off or maybe a reboot (CoMI borrows quite a lot from the previous games while changing the style completely), which also doesn’t count as a sequel I guess.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 04 September 2015 08:54 AM

Monkey Island has 4 games, and one “episodic” series. There’s no the “original trilogy”. Monkey Island 1/2 isn’t all about Ron Gilbert, no matter how I admire the guy. It was also Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman… it was Steve Purcell’s art, Michael Land’s music… it was LUCAS ARTS! And Lucas Arts made the “third game” (and what a game that is!)

^ This.

I highly doubt that Ron Gilbert knew where he wanted to take the series after that ridiculous ending in MI2, and seeing how LucasArts got things back on track with the (imo) best AG of all time, I don’t really care what Gilbert wants to do with the series.

Besides, it’s not like Disney will let him do anything with it anyway…

Oscar - 24 May 2016 11:39 PM

I would be interested to see how Gilbert gets around the fact that he concluded the series, if he ever plans to make a new game.

But he didn’t really, did he? Why else would “Little Chucky”‘s eyes glow red, AND would we get an after-credits scene of Elaine wondering if LeChuck put Guybrush under some spell or something?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

As much as I think MI3 is a very good game, I would pretty much love for this happen. It would be another MI and by Ron Gilbert, certainly an interesting game. Besides, it’s not like MI3 would disappear or stop being good, who cares if someone thinks it’s canon of not.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 25 May 2016 07:37 AM
Oscar - 24 May 2016 11:39 PM

But he didn’t really, did he? Why else would “Little Chucky”‘s eyes glow red, AND would we get an after-credits scene of Elaine wondering if LeChuck put Guybrush under some spell or something?

Hmm. Forgot about that. You know your MI better than me.

The fact is, the two universes are very different. LeChuck stopped being threatening after MI2 and turned into a virtual caricature. I do think the more menacing LeChuck would work well in a modern, less cartoonish visual style closer to MI1 and 2. Gilbert would need to throw a lot of stuff out from 3-5.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d argue that LeChuck never was threatening. He always struck me more a buffoon. He always was a caricature and not really a deep, sinsiter villain. As a whole MI games have always been more cartoony in tone than serious. There’s an off beat joke here and there, but overall the games have never stuck me as serious in style or comedy.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 May 2016 08:15 AM

As much as I think MI3 is a very good game, I would pretty much love for this happen. It would be another MI and by Ron Gilbert, certainly an interesting game. Besides, it’s not like MI3 would disappear or stop being good, who cares if someone thinks it’s canon of not.

Yeah pretty much, its funny how gamers get obsessed with numbers.
Just same universe would do, esp in nonsensical universe like MI, like Tomiint said.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 25 May 2016 09:30 AM

I’d argue that LeChuck never was threatening. He always struck me more a buffoon. He always was a caricature and not really a deep, sinsiter villain. As a whole MI games have always been more cartoony in tone than serious. There’s an off beat joke here and there, but overall the games have never stuck me as serious in style or comedy.

It’s relative. In 1990 the image of a ghost ship underground filled with ghost pirates was intimidating to say the least.

Graphically, it’s hard to get much more realist than this with 256 colors and low resolution.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 25 May 2016 09:51 AM

It’s relative. In 1990 the image of a ghost ship underground filled with ghost pirates was intimidating to say the least.

Graphically, it’s hard to get much more realist than this with 256 colors and low resolution.

Perhaps they were indimitating for you, but I’ve never though so, despite I was just a kid when I played MI the first time back in the 90’s.

And when I said cartoonish in tone, I didn’t mean graphics. Obvously the close ups in MI1 are geared towards realism, but the tone of the game is as realistic as Police Squad is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top