• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC Gamer arranges twenty-five adventure games in list format. THE OFFICIAL THREAD.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Am I supposed to know who this Richard Cobbett guy is? (yes I know he’s the one who wrote the article). All of you are talking like he is the guy who lives down the street, and care a lot about his taste.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 25 October 2014 09:50 PM
Advie - 25 October 2014 09:34 PM

if this list was a hardcopy then it should be hanged next to a john at some public restroom in an abandoned warehouse, and even ignored by a slum who ‘d fear having piles if used ‘ouch!’

Sounds extreme. He did list several defining games by LucasArts and Sierra, several “everyone’s favourites”, some forgotten gems as well as a couple of mainstream titles. It’s a list done by book.

yea its supposed to be extreme, in a joking sense, but its seems (again) my kind of humor is just far.
but anyway, I wasn’t aiming to the author by any chance, I only see 25 titles and that is it!. Adventuring gaming should be inculpable of this summarization (period)

Blackthorne - 25 October 2014 09:37 PM

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying - it’s definitely not the list of games I would pick, but I don’t think it’s a total crock.  By the way,you do know my name is Steve, right?

Sorry Steven, just a slip.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Zifnab - 25 October 2014 10:25 PM

Am I supposed to know who this Richard Cobbett guy is? (yes I know he’s the one who wrote the article). All of you are talking like he is the guy who lives down the street, and care a lot about his taste.

He’s a freelance game journalist who often writes for PC Gamer, Eurogamer, RockPaperShotgun, etc. He’s probably best known for a regular column he wrote up until recently on PC Gamer called Saturday Crapshoot (as in a random roll of the dice, not as in making fun of things that are crap) where he would write a humorous recap and commentary about an older game every Saturday.

He’s also one of the bigger proponents of the adventure game genre within the mainstream games media. If you click through his past articles, you’ll see he writes about adventure games fairly often, be it interviews with developers when they’re running their Kickstarter campaigns, or game reviews, or just critical musings, or what have you.

I would imagine that the reason several people here on the AG forums recognize his name is because:
1) He’s been writing about games for 10+ years, which in game journalism is actually fairly rare.
2) As mentioned, he writes about adventures a lot so readers may see his name repeatedly on the aforementioned KS campaign interviews and on recent reviews of Broken Age, Blackwell Epiphany, Heroine’s Quest, Quest for Infamy, Shadowgate, etc. on various websites.
3) Some of his more controversial reviews (for Tesla Effect and Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary) were specifically discussed on the AG forums recently.
4) He stopped by the forums when people were discussing his Tesla Effect review, which was controversial because he’s a fan of the Tex games (particularly Pandora) but found Tesla Effect ultimately disappointing. I had to write a little defense of him at that time, too.

On a bit of a tangent but I think if people give him a fair shake and consider whatever disagreements they have with this Top 25 list or with his negative reviews in the broader context of his positive reviews, his interviews helping give devs’ exposure in the mainstream game press, and his musings about the adventure genre, I believe they’ll probably come to consider him as overall a friend to the adventure game community, even if they don’t agree with his every opinion.

In short, he’s just a thoughtful guy at a keyboard. Ultimately, no one’s Top 25 Adventure Games list is of grand consequence to the universe. But Mr. Cobbett’s list is probably of just as much interest as, for example, former Adventure Gamers Editor-in-Chief Evan Dickens’ Top 20 Adventure Games lists (here and here) used to be. That is to say, he’s just one person, but he writes well, has interesting opinions, and has played a lot of adventure games, which is really all that’s needed to put together a list of favorites or perceived “bests” that other people may wish to read.

nomadsoul - 25 October 2014 05:38 PM

Agree with lamb here, and i didnt know about the guy.
He seems full of himself.

Read the comments, his replies on why he didn’t choose The Dig , Sanitarium, BASS etc.

He writes in a funny and sometimes snarky style, so maybe that’s what is coming across as “full of himself,” but this is actually at least partially a cultural difference. This writing style is fairly common among UK games journalists. When Mr. Cobbett visited these forums, he talked about the UK style and how it evolved here.

I took a look at the comments you mentioned and they actually seem pretty straightforward and honest to me. He’s tried to be pretty clear that this is all just his opinion, e.g. “I like BASS, but it’s not one of my favourites.”

nomadsoul - 25 October 2014 05:38 PM

Other people commented that PCgamer reviewed some game poorly 20 years ago.
So its definitely not PC gamer as a whole.

Misleading title, unless this cobbert guy is authority.

I think this is PC Gamer’s issue, not Mr. Cobbett’s. It is quite likely that it is at least partly an editorial decision to headline the article “The Top 25 Adventure Games of All Time” and give it a fancy graphic (making it seem official and somewhat bombastic). The journalist doesn’t typically make all those decisions himself.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

lookin’ up for this whole matter behind this controversial thoughts of Cobbett’s LIST, I am wondering is it ‘even’ possible for anyone to make like two of three lists of the ‘best’ ags out there:

One for the matter of own Favorites.
Two for the matter of Ratings (of course it will still hold own visions, but at least with the most neutral anyone could be ) 
Third for the matter of which had affected the face of the genre.

??!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It is pretty impossible to make a list of best anything that would please everybody. Tastes vary so much, that the even a committee made, well thought of list will have stuff in it that people won’t agree with. There’s always a favourite movie, song or a game that won’t get mentioned.

The best possible scenario always is, that you make a list that makes people say that those are good choices.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@advie/tomimt
Thats the reason why some Sites let the public choose GoTYs along with their own GoTYs.

Public poll is the way to go.

@Caliburn

“I like BASS, but it’s not one of my favourites.”

A Mind Forever Voyaging is on there. Magnetic Scrolls… eh, not a fan.

For Sanitarium

I like it but it hasn’t held up as well as a lot of people think.

For The Dig

About £3 on eBay.

10 years worth of writing skills, with these explanations???

His whole self entitled tone got me, actually.

Too much I.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

tomimt - 26 October 2014 04:49 AM

It is pretty impossible to make a list of best anything that would please everybody. Tastes vary so much, that the even a committee made, well thought of list will have stuff in it that people won’t agree with. There’s always a favourite movie, song or a game that won’t get mentioned.
The best possible scenario always is, that you make a list that makes people say that those are good choices.

I think it’s quite possible actually check here how its done: All-Time Best Adventures

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

With a quick glance there’s a coouple of games in the list I wouldn’t pick myself. It’s a good list though.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Personally I prefer Cobbett’s list to the corresponding part of the Adventure Gamers one. Anyway, they are quite similar overall. The fuss over this list is ridiculous.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-11-18

PM

To be the opinion of a single person, this one has too many universally praised titles; I suppose he actually did check some popular lists on the web as a general guideline. I would have preferred it to be more personal, actually, as I prefer some more heated debate on a clickbait article.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Advie - 25 October 2014 11:23 PM
Blackthorne - 25 October 2014 09:37 PM

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying - it’s definitely not the list of games I would pick, but I don’t think it’s a total crock.  By the way,you do know my name is Steve, right?

Sorry Steven, just a slip.

Hahah, it’s okay, I was just checking.  I was pretty sure you knew!

Bt

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

He completely omits an entire subgenre—one that has existed at least since 1993, possibly earlier. At the same time he includes “new” subgenres like those including To the Moon, Gone Hone, and TWD—as well as a far older (text) adventure like A Mind Forever Voyaging (1985), and even an action/adventure like Little Big Adventure 2.

It is just “Cobbett humor” and he’s having one on with fans of 1st person puzzle/adventures because he personally doesn’t like that subgenre. But it diminishes the validity of his list.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

But it is HIS list. It doesn’t have to include any games he doesn’t want it to include and that doesn’t make it any more or less valid than the top 100 list of Adventuregamers.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

tomimt - 26 October 2014 12:16 PM

But it is HIS list. It doesn’t have to include any games he doesn’t want it to include and that doesn’t make it any more or less valid than the top 100 list of Adventuregamers.

Yes it is HIS list.
However it is not labelled as HIS list at PCGamer.

Unlike the AG list, it is only valid to Cobbett.
Unlike the AG list, it deliberately omits certain subgenres because of Cobbett’s personal bias. I don’t see that kind of global bias in the AG list.

Zifnab - 25 October 2014 10:25 PM

Where I know him from is the adventure newsgroup in the late 1990’s, where he would spout his dislike of Myst or anything Myst-like at every possible opportunity. However voicing his likes and dislikes in a forum (or newsgroup) is different from writing an article for a magazine—online or not.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

crabapple - 26 October 2014 12:48 PM
tomimt - 26 October 2014 12:16 PM

Yes it is HIS list.
However it is not labelled as HIS list at PCGamer.

Unlike the AG list, it is only valid to Cobbett.
Unlike the AG list, it deliberately omits certain subgenres because of Cobbett’s personal bias. I don’t see that kind of global bias in the AG list.

I agree with you, but to be fair, it’s not like the AG list is any less subjective.  It’s just a small group of people that put it together instead of one person.  It’s certainly a more inclusive list in terms of adventure types and subgenres, but it still has some bizarre choices and rankings on it, in my opinion.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top