• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Finally found all the photos. That bird one was cleverly done.

I took more time to explore and talk to people this time around and I missed more then I thought! Almost everyone in the courtyard scene knew Rachel and she even worked for one of the hopeful photographers. Also, you can’t pick the files up, but you can look at David’s files with some creepy results.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played the game last night and replayed it tonight making different choices. I didn’t think I’d want to do that, but the existence of the separate save slots makes it easy and I’m more interested in how the story could play out differently than I’ve felt in The Walking Dead and (so far) in Dreamfall Chapters. If the episodes continue to have so much optional stuff I think I’ll want to keep doing that.

I missed a ton of backstory the first time through—I didn’t realize the journal had pages before the current day, and I didn’t talk to most of the students in the courtyard.

Something I noticed, that may or may not be significant:

It looks like Max has a deer on the front of her shirt? When she’s in the nightmare at the end, following the deer, she says something like “I think that doe is trying to show me where to go.” At first I wondered if it’s supposed to be Rachel. And then when I started my second playthrough I noticed Max’s shirt and wondered if there’s a connection…?

Also, I’m wondering:

Who is the guy in the RV, with the dog, during the end sequence? Did we meet him?

And what do people make of:

The shelf(?) we see at the very end, with cases with girl’s names on them, including Rachel? I just realized, maybe those are video tapes?

I liked the game more the second time through. Initially it felt kind of aimless (and I felt lost, I think, because I hadn’t read up on all the backstory). It doesn’t start with a hook the way Gone Home does (what happened to your family?), that made me want to keep exploring. But after seeing how the episode ended I felt differently about the episode’s events the second time through, and was much more interested in finding all the information and little details I could.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I think the files with all the names on might be someone (perhaps unknown as of yet) investigating the Rachel Amber case. I wonder if they’ve found a connection with other girls going missing too.

The games laid back approach is appreciated for this this type of game. It doesn’t hand everything to you and exploring really helps you find clues to people’s activities etc.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

fov - 07 February 2015 12:44 AM

Also, I’m wondering:

Who is the guy in the RV, with the dog, during the end sequence? Did we meet him?

I don’t think so, probably someone that will be introduced in chapter 2.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

fov - 07 February 2015 12:44 AM

I’m thinking it’s Chloe’s real dad although we’re told he’s dead. There’s a photo of a similar looking gent in Chloe’s parents’ bedroom.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Finally an episodic game that is longer than an hour, Telltale should take notes.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I really enjoyed this. Yeah, it’s totally adventure “lite” without much in the way of puzzles, but with plenty of older-school adventures coming out this doesn’t bother me.

Episode 1 is really just scratching the surface of the story, of course, but I like the fact that, despite the time-manipulation hook, it’s a game rooted in realistic, relateable human drama. Looking forward to Episode 2.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Frogacuda - 13 February 2015 09:46 AM

I really enjoyed this. Yeah, it’s totally adventure “lite” without much in the way of puzzles,

Adventure “lite” is a term I associate with very easy Casual adventures?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

chrissie - 13 February 2015 10:02 AM
Frogacuda - 13 February 2015 09:46 AM

I really enjoyed this. Yeah, it’s totally adventure “lite” without much in the way of puzzles,

Adventure “lite” is a term I associate with very easy Casual adventures?

Yeah, that’s pretty much how I’m applying the term here as well. It might not be casual in the sense of tone or superficiality, but certainly in terms of gameplay.

Telltale is an apt comparison, although it’s got more tertiary stuff to explore than Telltale’s stuff.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Just finished the game yesterday with 2 playthroughs. I really liked it a lot, though it built up to the ending very slowly. I hope the pace will pick up in episode 2. It really plays like a hybrid of Gone Home with The Walking Dead, with some Prince of Persia:Sand of Time mixed in there.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Episode 2 is coming 24th March!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-14-life-is-strange-episode-2-release-date

Very happy we don’t have to wait long after the 1st one

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm nice, i might consider playing before the season ends if theyr releasing promptly.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Not too far away at all. Most excellent.

I’m super pumped about this. And also Borderlands.

Dreamfall Chapters did not (or has not thus far, at any rate) satisfied my adventure gaming thirst this month. These will do the trick nicely. Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I tried it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I didn’t finish it yet but it’s been quite fun. I do wish there were more puzzles but it’s a fun ride anyhow.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

wilco - 30 January 2015 12:21 PM
nomadsoul - 30 January 2015 12:16 PM

@wilco

Any similarities with Lynch or S.King as some site pointed out??

Stephen King maybe, small town, supernatural elements, some creepy characters

Lynch I’m not seeing anything…  Maybe his talking about Twin Peaks but I don’t think it has the same feeling

It’s a mystery with a touch of the supernatural, set in a small town close to Seattle where everyone has secrets.  And it’s about a missing / dead girl that was so popular and involved with so many things that seemingly everyone in the town knew her.  But there’s also constant hints about some dark secrets she was hiding.

So yeah, it more than a little borrowed from Twin Peaks.  But it does have its own feel, and its differences.

I liked it quite a bit.  But the one thing that didn’t work for me was the humor.  The main character and Warren are a bit annoying to me at times, and just not funny to me at all.  But Chloe is interesting.  The game really picked up in that last part.

Also the interface on the PS4 was a tad bit annoying.  It was really easy to accidentally hit the rewind / skip button when you meant to run, and then you’d often have to redo a whole conversation.  But at least you can skip through dialogue you’ve already seen pretty fast.

It has potential.  But I wish the writing were a bit better.  I like the general story a lot, but so far only a couple characters are interesting.  The dialogue and journal entries are a bit clunky, and they sound more like they’re desperately trying to be cool and hip instead of being anything people would actually say.  And the voice acting could be better at times.

I do love this type of interactive storytelling though.  If you like The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us, you’ll probably like this too.  And it does bring some new stuff to the table, both in terms of gameplay and storytelling.  There aren’t many video games that try to tell this kind of story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top