• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

giom - 19 October 2015 02:00 PM

I feel that the developers were stuck between a rock and a hard place, either have Max hold the idiot ball and behave very stupidly or chuck out most of the choices the player made. They chose to go with Max being a complete idiot.

At the end i expect a simple explanation for all this,like Max either a mental or a drug addict.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Max is a movie buff so she didn’t even try to do what the great Ashton Kutcher couldn’t in Butterfly Effect, no need, the results were predictable

But seriously, in 2 hours I hope we’ll be playing a kickass finale to a great series. I expect lots of different endings and explanations to all.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 October 2015 02:47 PM

(I’m not fond of time travel stories; it never makes any sense and ends up being bad fiction more often than not. I wish Life is Strange had limited Max’s power to fixing-the-last-3-minutes, rather than try to do that unfortunate bit of time travel at the start of episode 4.)

I liked the Back to the Future game from TellTales because at least Marty is not a complete idiot…

I agree with you, I think it would have been better if they only limited themselves to the fixing the last 3 minute thing. I feel that the conclusion of this time travel thing is just a cheap way of trying to get an emotional response from the player while destroying Max as a character.

It’s also unbelievably frustrating when a character that you play is doing something stupid that you can’t stop.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ep5 available on Steam

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice ending, nothing mindblowing or completely surprising but does a good job on wrapping up the story in a satisfying way.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 20 October 2015 05:36 AM

Nice ending, nothing mindblowing or completely surprising but does a good job on wrapping up the story in a satisfying way.

Just finished and I agree. It deals with all the loose ends and finishes kind of how I expected. I do think Warren and Max’s relationship should have had a more complete ending mind. Even if it was just Max needing him for support at Chloe’s funeral.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I liked that the episode gave most of the characters one last time in the spotlight (except for poor Nathan; and, I guess, Victoria—but nobody likes her anyway). It was a satisfying send-off. And the ending was, well, what it had to be.

However, I can’t say I was overly fond of all the alternate realities, and I certainly could have done without that clichéd, overlong nightmare sequence.

Probably my AG of the year.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 20 October 2015 10:16 AM

Just finished and I agree. It deals with all the loose ends and finishes kind of how I expected. I do think Warren and Max’s relationship should have had a more complete ending mind. Even if it was just Max needing him for support at Chloe’s funeral.

I think the talk with Warren was all it was needed too show what he meant to Max. Nice moment.

Kurufinwe - 20 October 2015 11:00 AM

I liked that the episode gave most of the characters one last time in the spotlight (except for poor Nathan; and, I guess, Victoria—but nobody likes her anyway). It was a satisfying send-off. And the ending was, well, what it had to be.

However, I can’t say I was overly fond of all the alternate realities, and I certainly could have done without that clichéd, overlong nightmare sequence.

Probably my AG of the year.

Nathan had that message that he left in Max phone saying he was sorry. I thought it was a nice touch. Victoria had her moment in the previous episode I think when she believes in Max
I agree that the nightmare/stuck in a loop sequence was overlong (although cool in some moments.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What about the final choice? I saved the town and sacrificed Chloe, T hought it was the only one that made sense

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, I did that too. It was horrible, but I kind of expected it. Though, I did think one last twist was in the works. The way the nightmare scene was going, it made it sound like there was a connection between Max and Amber. After they had a moment during the funeral, I fully expected Max to realise something and we return post credits for something. She’s been seeing a ghost deer and was wearing a deer pendant might I add.

I’m sad to leave this world mind. Still feels like Max has another story to tell in a “years later” kind of way. I know they said Life is Strange will have another season, but I don’t think it’ll be related to this one.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

While I’m a fan of the series in general and would like to see more games in this vein, I will say I was disappointed in the ending.  The last episode has a lot of cool and powerful stuff in it to be fair, but….it all comes down to a binary choice…..very weak sauce that also doesn’t give you a good payoff and doesn’t give you anything whichever you choose in terms of how/why Max got her powers, the significance of the doe, etc.  Without spoiling a game of a different type, I was definitely expecting something more like say, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in terms of how the choices and actions affected the ending.  This ending reeks of budgetary concerns factoring in or saving material for a Season Two at the expense of Season One.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Holy shit, I thought the last episode was soooo good.

Just about everything I predicted happened, but they went lots of places I’d never thought they’d go on the way there, and I loved every minute of it.  (Okay, that sneaking section was way too long.  But man, everything else in the dream section was awesome.  Never really thought I’d see something so surreal out of nowhere in a game like this.)

Episodes 4 and 5 in total were just so well done.  They really stepped up their game as it went along.  Hopefully they make a lot more games like this in the future.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s a tall order for a video game ending to feel transcendent, especially when few saw the final choice coming from the first few episodes. The one word that keeps coming to mind to describe the ending is “appropriate”.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I should point out, with my unabashed love for the ending that I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay.  Sure, it’s kind of dumb to sacrifice a town for one person, and I probably wouldn’t do it in real life.  But sacrificing Chloe was such a cliched and predictable way for the story to go.  I would’ve hated it if they forced that upon us.

But Max doing anything to save her friend / potential love interest, no matter the consequences, I like that ending much better.  It’s kind of romantic in a stupid, no fucks given kind of way.  And it’s the choice I’d expect Chloe to make for Max too.

But really, my love for episode 5 wasn’t for the very end.  More so for the journey to get there.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

If I had known what the ending would be I wouldn’t have played the game. The expected choice sacrifice Chloe is just a cliched predictable way of ending time travel stories a la Butterfly Effect. In the end the power is useless, using it destroys the world, and the result would have been the same if Max hadn’t had the power. What a boring unimaginative, stupid ending. Makes me feel I wasted my time playing the game.

At least you get to make an other choice and not sacrifice Chloe but we’re clearly supposed to feel bad about it.

I don’t feel that this game’s ending is anyway transcendent. I feel that it’s the cheap, cliched and boring way to try to get an emotional response out of players.

And in the end, the choices we made were actually useless… Plus there’s a lot of questions unanswered:
Why did Max see the vision of the Tornada before she saved Chloe if saving Chloe is what caused it?
What’s the significance of the Doe?
Why did Max get her power?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top