• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

nomadsoul - 09 January 2017 02:10 PM
Jdawg445 - 09 January 2017 01:38 PM

game of thrones

Its Huge, and follows Books more closely, W2 had letho only and Iorveth as side cast
Not big enough cast to leave big mark
Here you are gonna meet huge cast, all well written
With some NPCs with better lines than anyone in W2
Some quests that outdo w2 whole plot
Not the type you can rate till you finish the game ad both DLCs

Right now you need to know you are after Ciri, who and what Ciri is in the Books
But talking to NPCs and such will reveal her and Geralt past connection
So they covered alot, so finding Ciri, just that, but it will take you to places

For me w3>w1>w2

W2 was weak all around, esp just one main plot around Regicide

And i dont get GoT as default litmus test for all fantasy stuff, just like LoTR was
in past
Witcher is really well written and its own thing, universe is far more Witchier with high fantasy than GoT or LoTR

What i liked about W1 was magic at the core center, slavic feel and politics with Witchery at core center, code, rituals, creed etc W3 does it 100 fold
No story out there does spirituality , magic and intellect better than this game
These spiritual/pagan/witcher/magic themes philosophies make it different, they will go in great technicalities of rituals and stuff
Witcher is not about worldly politics of assassinations, thrones and imperialism
Its about Geralt , his gang and school of alchemy
In the end, its all personal

witcher 2 was a lot like game of thrones and im not saying it bc its the fantasy of the moment. witcher 2 was basically about 3 to 4 kings of the north all fighting for control and the puppet master of the south pulling lethos strings. thats a lot like game of thrones add in the mages for some more drama. as far as witcher 1 never played it so have no idea. Im not judging witcher 3 as a whole yet just saying it didnt capture me like witcher 2 did off the bat. I remember the first side quest I did in witcher 2 was the troll under the bridge in flotasm sp, how the sidequest unfolded was amazing to me and set up the world really nice. How at first I thought it was a simple kill monster, but the troll was really just sad that they killed his wife. neither the wraith of the well or even the werewolf side quest in 3 has peaked my interest like that. Im sure there are some better quest down the road. I also think its just taste. open world rpgs/games try to give you so much to do but a lot of time I find it boring. I explored a lot of ?s on the map, most are just bandit camps or places to increase your ability pts. I had the same problem with assassins creed 4, I loved the ship/pirate stuff, but hunting down feathers and the land stuff bored me to tears after a couple of hrs. Im of the mindset that having more stuff to do is not always equal to having more fun.

Back to witcher 2 I played through it twice and liked all the side characters, I liked roach a lot, loved triss and the dwarves, Letho was my favorite and thought the VA so far was a lot better in 2 probably bc they didnt have to have so many VAs. So far even geralt seems a bit off with his emotions during certain scenes.

than there is the bugs with witcher three. so far I have had merchants levitating, a side character and his dog stuck in the ground, so I had to reload that side quest, and in the inventory screen geralt himself has disappeared lol. I never had any bugs in two.

I know it sounds like Im hating the game; I promise you im not, I was hoping for more, and I know I have a long way to go slo I might get there. Something tells me I will like the expansions more bc they are smaller more controlled stories, especially the first expansion, at least thats what I heard.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wow I was reading reviews for the witcher three and this guy was reviewing as he played it and he summed up my thoughts better than I could…. Here is an excerpt I will post the link if yall are interested.

Mild spoilers may follow. This is Part One of my ongoing ‘Witcher 3’ review.

Partly because The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is so huge, and partly because I only got a review code a few hours before the game launched, I’ll be reviewing it as I go.

I’ve done this plenty before of course, treating many of my video game reviews as works-in-progress, journal-as-you-play. This will be no different. Take whatever I say in the following passages as nothing more than first impressions.

So far, I don’t like The Witcher 3 nearly so much as its predecessor, Assassin of Kings.

That’s not to say I don’t like it, or that it won’t get better, and in any case there are aspects of it I enjoy even more, but I’m a little concerned at this point.

For one thing, the opening Act is nowhere near as powerful as in Assassin of Kings. From that game’s powerful opening cinematic (perhaps the best in any video game) through its cleverly-directed opening segments, to the arrival at Flotsam, The Witcher 2 is simply breathtaking. It also introduces you to a world that’s steeped in lore and history, that feels real and inhabited. The small hamlet of Flotsam feels like a real and distinct and unique place. The forests around it remain quite possibly my favorite environment in any video game.

There’s a sense of place—-grounded in history and conflict—-to Flotsam and the surrounding area that I have yet to discover in The Witcher 3.

In some ways, this is because the latest Witcher game is simply quite vast. Villages are everywhere. One is much like the other. The first two taverns you visit are literally carbon copies of one another, designed by some cookie-cutter tavern architect. How disappointing.

‘The Witcher 3’ And Game Length As A Mountain To Climb
Will ‘The Witcher 3’ Suffer From ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Syndrome?

The various villages themselves are fairly forgettable, though White Orchard at least has a white orchard outside of it. Still, nothing comes close to as interesting as Flotsam (so far) or its characters and miniature conflicts, age-old racial tensions, and so forth.

Then there is the mini-map, populated with question marks exclamation points and myriad little leaf icons, and fast travel markers and…I hate it so much. Everything is so stream-lined. At times I feel like I’m in a very well-designed, very lonely MMO. I find myself looking at the mini-map far too much, following that damned dotted line to wherever I need to go, missing out on the world in the process. I don’t want a GPS system in my RPGs.

(I will note here that I worried The Witcher 3 might suffer from “Assassin’s Creed Syndrome” and while I think it does everything far better than that game series, I’m sad to say it really does suffer from this malady, nonetheless.)

Perhaps this changes over time, but one of the things I loved about the previous game was how challenging it could be just to unravel a quest-line. Not challenging necessarily because you aren’t Level 33 yet (I have a lot of quests in my quest-bag that are way, way over my level which is irritating) but because you have to do some real digging, real reading and exploring to navigate them, to discover how to beat a tough monster. All of this grounds us even deeper in the place, in the universe, in the characters, in the monsters, and so forth.

The open-world nature of The Witcher 3 changes all of this. I can go just about anywhere now, which can be fun. There’s some great exploration to be had. But I also never quite feel like I’m doing as much of the work myself. The game is doing a lot of it for me now. It’s much more accessible, I suppose.

He hit the nail on the head of how im feeling so far with the game

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If anything W3 copied Darksouls combat and other things from Skyrim
Asscreed was never their goal
In anycase keep playing, its not must to start things with a bang, but as i said, if you have read books and played W1, all that counts is chasing Ciri and the name Wildhunt on the box
Thats enough for setting up the big game…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

the mini map of witcher 3 is right out of the assassins creed playbook with leaves, ?s and !s. that is what he is referring to not the combat.

one other problem I have is one ability you can unlock right away is the ability to regenerate health in the sun. So whats the pt of upping the difficulty to not being able to regenerate health, if all you have to do is use one skill pt to basically do the same thing as playing on lower difficulties. Nerd

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Don’t go to all the ?s and !s

The regen is outside the combat

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wilco - 09 January 2017 05:20 PM

I know but still makes the game a lot easier I unslotted it

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jdawg445 - 09 January 2017 05:47 PM

1 complaint I had at the time is that I breezed through the whole game, specially after the first part. Normal is too easy if you level up too much too soon and I barely needed alchemy. Harder difficulties need more preparation for the encounters.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wilco - 09 January 2017 06:14 PM
Jdawg445 - 09 January 2017 05:47 PM

1 complaint I had at the time is that I breezed through the whole game, specially after the first part. Normal is too easy if you level up too much too soon and I barely needed alchemy. Harder difficulties need more preparation for the encounters.

totally agree I dont want to skip the ! bc those are sidequest, but the game overall is very easy, plus Im already having more gold than I know what to do with. Im on blood and broken bones and still find it pretty easy.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

They had to make it easy and add Xray vision to score sales
They achieved
Wait till you have to use Xray vision for 100th time for all detective work

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-01-04

PM

Finally finished Broken Age.

Solid 9 in 10

But the 2nd part and ending don’t live up to the quality of the first part, would easily give it an 8 if not for the great intro and story in the beginning.

Making a point and click trading adventure game: Massive Galaxy

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

nomadsoul - 10 January 2017 03:02 AM

They achieved

yeah the x ray vision or as I call it the batman arkham asylum detective mode is wearing on me a little and actually sometimes makes me feel a little dizzy after using it for a while. I still say as far as being easy they screwed the pooch, that is why there are difficulty levels. If im playing something called blood and broken bones difficulty level, I expect to die more than 4 times in 8 hrs all of which were on the werewolf side quest fyi. in uncharted 3 in 8 hrs of gameplay on normal I died 40 times. I think this game, and open world rpgs in general have a huge problem in figuring out how to scale or increase enemy difficulty levels.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 January 2017 10:35 AM

They achieved

yeah the x ray vision or as I call it the batman arkham asylum detective mode is wearing on me a little and actually sometimes makes me feel a little dizzy after using it for a while. I still say as far as being easy they screwed the pooch, that is why there are difficulty levels. If im playing something called blood and broken bones difficulty level, I expect to die more than 4 times in 8 hrs all of which were on the werewolf side quest fyi. in uncharted 3 in 8 hrs of gameplay on normal I died 40 times. I think this game, and open world rpgs in general have a huge problem in figuring out how to scale or increase enemy difficulty levels.

80 times on uc3
uc3 is TTG of actionadventure
It plays itself

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Shadow Warrior

Pros

DukeNukem from China, fun humor
Oldschool fast gameplay

Cons

terrible level design , invisible walls

7/10

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

nomadsoul - 11 January 2017 10:46 AM

They achieved

80 times on uc3
It plays itself

you died 80 times in uncharted 3. Some of those 40 were check pt restarts for me bc if a game gives me stealth options I try to do that for a while. for instance in uc3 the pirates level with the ocean and all the broken boats I tried to sneak kill everyone I could but the stealth AI in all the uncharted games is sort of broken, meaning sometimes you will be right next to a guy and they wont see you and the next time they will hear a feather fall a 100 feet away. I did the same thing on the sneak aboard the airplane level trying to stealth the whole level.

I think as far as the witcher game goes besides enemy scaling problems they made the evade button to powerful, you can just tap the circle button and side step all enimes without ever having to stop bc of stamina lost

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 January 2017 11:43 AM
nomadsoul - 11 January 2017 10:46 AM

They achieved

80 times on uc3
It plays itself

you died 80 times in uncharted 3. Some of those 40 were check pt restarts for me bc if a game gives me stealth options I try to do that for a while. for instance in uc3 the pirates level with the ocean and all the broken boats I tried to sneak kill everyone I could but the stealth AI in all the uncharted games is sort of broken, meaning sometimes you will be right next to a guy and they wont see you and the next time they will hear a feather fall a 100 feet away. I did the same thing on the sneak aboard the airplane level trying to stealth the whole level.

I think as far as the witcher game goes besides enemy scaling problems they made the evade button to powerful, you can just tap the circle button and side step all enimes without ever having to stop bc of stamina lost

Oh i misread your 40 as 80
I didnt much in that series, that was my point
sorry for that

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top