• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KarlokKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Argentina was doing the same thing, so I don’t understand singling out the Netherlands on this.

Anyway, our big neighbor will hold the cup and I’m fine with that. They deserve it. At least it’s a European country, haha.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Erwin_Br - 09 July 2014 07:47 PM

Argentina was doing the same thing, so I don’t understand singling out the Netherlands on this.

Anyway, our big neighbor will hold the cup and I’m fine with that. They deserve it. At least it’s a European country, haha.

Hahaha grapes are sour

I would not mind Germany winning too, France and Ger were genuine, rest of the Euro was
scam and Suarez/Messi cleaned them.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Speaking of Messi, he was also MIA in todays game (to be fair, nobody showed up).
Van Gaal should’ve left Van Persie dragging his feet around the field and saved the sub for the penalties.

Safe to say fun football died at the first round of knockout stage and after that cynical football took over (except for Germany enjoying Brazil meltdown).

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 09 July 2014 09:10 PM

Safe to say fun football died at the first round of knockout stage and after that cynical football took over (except for Germany enjoying Brazil meltdown).

This, quarters to final always sucked in past too.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, you can’t blame Van Gaal to play the games as he had. The dutch team was by any standard pretty poor. Our expectations at the start of the tournament were not that high, as we did not expect the Spain meltdown either.
We have a poor, inexperienced defence containing mostly players from the Dutch league, a shaky midfield and an attack force that has both Van Persie and Sneijder not in their best form.
Only Robben was the real exception.

During the tournament, several players got into better form and gotten much better than what they were used to in their respective leagues.

On the other hand, losing to Argentina is a crying shame, as they weren’t the best opponent Holland faced…not by a long shot. Even Mexico and Chili were much better opponents.

And then losing on penalties again….and underestimating them once again….is pretty inexcusable. Especially with the experience from the previous match….why change a winning formula all of a sudden?

I’m not claiming that getting thru just by penalties is the way to go, but if everything else fails….then at least you have to treat it as a real option. And they simply didn’t!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 09 July 2014 07:44 PM

They kicked your Belgium and Holland out so ofcourse your Salt is understandable.

It’s not my Holland, and Belgium were playing the same ugly way (except against the States), so they deserved to go out in the quarter finals. It just sucks that it’s against a team that’s playing just as bad and just as ugly.

Blame your Holland for pathetic style of dragging to Penalties, the trolling
worked on CostaRica but not today thanks to this guy Grin

And Argentina didn’t play pathetically, dragging the game to penalties???
Remember: Argentina has scored 2 goals in 330 minutes of play. One goal was a Messi dribble-and-finish (about the only time we’ve even seen him in these 330 minutes, by the way), and the other was off a fluke rebound.

Just to show how bad yesterday’s game was: Romero did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 120 minutes, yet he’s Man of the Match. Says something about the other 21 people on the pitch, imo.
And I blame the coaches for that. Why do you think I’m hating on Sabella, Van Gaal, Wilmots and Santos?

Erwin_Br - 09 July 2014 07:47 PM

Exactly.

Pisses me off that the match yesterday was even worse than Iran-Nigeria, with even less chances overall. And it lasted half an hour longer! Pan
It’s like neither team wanted to win.

FIFA should penalize ugly play like this. It’s the only way to get that hideous side of “modern” football out.
Brazil-Germany match was the exact opposite: Brazil a bit too hung-go, and Germany waltzing all over them in the highest-scoring semi-final ever on a World Cup.
Argentina-Netherlands: both teams playing with 8 men in the back, no midfield, and two attackers (who are surrounded by 8 defenders), resulting in the lowest-scoring semi-final ever on a World Cup.

I really wish Germany wins the final with a 5-goal+ margin, out of principle.

nomadsoul - 09 July 2014 07:56 PM

I would not mind Germany winning too, France and Ger were genuine, rest of the Euro was
scam and Suarez/Messi cleaned them.

Suarez, really? Not Costa Rica? Wink
And “cleaned them” is a poor choice of words for Argentina’s “win by a 1-goal margin or less” campaign so far. Wink

Germany already won the World Cup, imo. And Colombia gets second place.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

^I totally agree with you about the shitty defensive play these days. i used to love watching football as a kid and now for most of the games, I need to force myself to watch a game because of how defensive they are. What happened to the old Netherlands of Ruud gullit and the old Argentina of Diego Maradona? At what point does it become the road to get there and not the prize? I was thinking hard about this, and what about settling a tie breaker not by penalty kicks but by number of shots on target. Maybe ease the offside rule a little? Anything to enfuse some form of attack into what has become a very stale ugly game.

Total Posts: 7449

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 10 July 2014 06:45 AM

It’s like neither team wanted to win.

That. Is. Total. Bullshit. Angry

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 10 July 2014 06:45 AM

1. Just to show how bad yesterday’s game was: Romero did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 120 minutes, yet he’s Man of the Match. Says something about the other 21 people on the pitch, imo.

2. It’s like neither team wanted to win.

FIFA should penalize ugly play like this.

3. I really wish Germany wins the final with a 5-goal+ margin, out of principle.

1. Scoring goals is as important as stopping one and Romero won the psychological
battle after defending the first penalty. Funny how krul was made hero for same thing
and no body said anything typical bias.

Pretty much explains why dutch sucked, thats what make the game bad,
such people need Suarez bite. Tongue

90s and back there wasn’t such stupid bodyplay.

3. Ger could win but not by that big margin , Brazil team that got lost was something even Rooney can defeat.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 10 July 2014 09:30 AM

1. Scoring goals is as important as stopping one and Romero won the psychological
battle after defending the first penalty. Funny how krul was made hero for same thing

It was not the same thing.

Hehehe… man, are you a clear case of mote and beam, or what!

such people need Suarez bite.

Soccer really brings out the best in you. What a disgusting thing to say. 

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 10 July 2014 09:49 AM

Are you male???

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 10 July 2014 11:08 AM
Karlok - 10 July 2014 09:49 AM

Are you male???

As someone said when I asked where he was from: Keep vibrating!  Tongue

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 10 July 2014 11:45 AM

As someone said when I asked where he was from: Keep vibrating!  Tongue

Anyway perform this on your spouse

and then giver her/him Suarez bite

Chances are he/she will get turned on later.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 10 July 2014 08:30 AM

That. Is. Total. Bullshit. Angry

Sure. But it definitely felt like that to anyone watching. Wink

My point was that the only thing Romero had to do in the ENTIRE match was keeping in the penalty shoot-out. I wasn’t dissing Romero, I was dissing the match where the one man that didn’t get a touch of the ball at all for 120 minutes (except for taking goal kicks of course) was named the best on the field.
The comparison to Krul is irrelevant, Krul wasn’t named Man of the Match (because he was only on the pitch for 1 minute before the shoot-out and because at least in that match some of the players actually tried to play football at times).

2. [images of fouls]
Pretty much explains why dutch sucked, thats what make the game bad,
such people need Suarez bite. Tongue

90s and back there wasn’t such stupid bodyplay.

Yes, and Argentina are innocent in this. Shifty Eyed
The bad bodyplay is because the refs don’t penalize fouls as they should. It’s been really egregious in this World Cup and the referees are to blame.
Just look at the rugby match that was Brazil-Colombia for instance. Strict refereeing would’ve made for a better match.

But I was talking about ugly defensive play, not just fouls. I agree that giving out more cards for fouls would improve matters somewhat, though.

3. Ger could win but not by that big margin , Brazil team that got lost was something even Rooney can defeat.

If Argentina displays that ugly defensive football again in the final, I do *hope* they lose by a record breaking margin, just to prove a point. I didn’t say they *would* lose by that margin. Wink

The ugly defensive play these teams exhibit may ensure they don’t lose their matches, but every spectator loses, and it hurts the game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

It’s getting pretty heated here Tongue

On a side note, Zico talking about what is wrong with Brazilian soccer today.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/09/brazil-germany-zico

Kinda echoes what I posted earlier but interesting read nonetheless.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top