• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalegrizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve finished the game. I think that Kate does change—she’s morphing into Indiana Jones. She’s intentionally going further and further into danger. In Syberia 1, she was unintentionally placing herself in danger (exploring the factory with that lunatic in charge, for instance), but now she’s tobogganing in a coffin, swinging on a rope over a chasm, climbing an ice wall, confronting a bear, and using an ejection seat as a means of transport.

Assuming she gets out of her situation at the end, will she go back to her life as a lawyer? No way! She’s going to have to make a decision as to whether she’s going to announce what she’s found. If she does, she’ll be famous. (Personally, I think she’ll keep it a secret.) She’s found a new career—she’s now an explorer of out-of-the-way places.

Did anybody else find it odd that [spoiler]the mammoths are still trained to take human riders? Is there a chance that some Youkols are still alive in Syberia, and Hans will find them when he finishes his mammoth ride?[spoiler]

I think to get back, all Kate has to do is turn the ship around and let the current take it back to the Youkol village. I read Brother Alexei’s journal again—I wish we could have met him in person.

Some screenshots below:

Comparing the lines of the bones to the lines of the penguins.

Aaahhhh—nothing like a sauna when you’ve been out of commission for more than 100 years.

More lovely bones.

I KNEW there was more important stuff to discover in the attic! The place where you can’t hide what’s really going on in your head—or in your dreams.

This, to me, represents the Youkol story without Kate and Hans and Oscar. Frozen in time, unable to move forward.

Sailing into the sunset. Usually this means the story is over. Not here.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Time for me to post “a few” Wink extra screenshots from the last two parts:

Wakie Wakie!

We have apparently reached the sea.

The Chief - Now lets explore the village:

I can’t tell you how many times I tried to climb those stairs Shifty Eyed

Or how long it took me to find all the right hotspots here Shifty Eyed

Our old friend the Youki Grin

I thought the expression was “grow on trees” or perhaps “grow as algae”?

Mammoths frozen in ice.

Is it just me, or does that cave look like a distorted face?

End of the line.

I think that was the whole village, it is really quite large - and beautiful!

Now we are done with exploring the place, it is time to solve some puzzles:

The berries we need.

The Harfang - and with a few more tricks, we have the berries.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble…

And we are back in Valadilene - This time in sepia!

The mammoth toy.

Hmmm.. I’m not sure that is how I would describe Oscar, perhaps too much discipline and method, and too little free thinking is a more accurate description - Perhaps Hans’s father’s influence?

I don’t think we were ever inside the house, apart from the attic, in the first game.

Watch your temper Kate .. He is not actually here, it is just Hans’s memory/dream.

Solving the clock puzzle actually took me quite a long time, for some reason I kept over-thinking it, and making it more complicated than it actually is Meh

Finally he leaves.

I love how Hans keeps alternating between the young boy and the old man.

A key question imo.

We are not completely done with New York yet.

I’m not sure she would pass a class in logic with that argument, but it seems to work on the Youkol.

Mentioned this earlier - And this is also the last we hear from New York!

To me he seem determined to fulfil his destiny, regardless of the consequences for himself.

Kate seems shocked!

And perhaps a bit bitter at Hans!
Had she known what would happen, or had she had a say in this, then I’m not convinced that she would have chosen to sacrifice Oscar to keep Hans alive for just a little longer.

Defrosting the boat - Not using any nasty chemicals of course, only steam.

And off we go.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 26 September 2015 11:11 AM

Is it just me, or does that cave look like a distorted face?

That’s the second biggest… no, wait, that IS the biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen. Cool

So Guybrush was in the Youkol village before he wanted to be a pirate? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I believe that Oscar was a plan ‘B’ for Hans - only to be used if his health failed and he could not reach Syberia any other way.

As nice as it would be to have Syberia 3 be similar to the previous Syberia games, I feel with the use of 3D backgrounds and the new plot focus, we’d prepared for an almost completely new game experience.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Becky - 26 September 2015 08:55 AM

More lovely bones.

Yes, I forgot to comment these. These are by far the most impractical ladders ever used. See those bone ribs surronounding them? Kate could -just- squeeze through them to use the ladder. How the heck did the (MUCH fatter than Kate) Yukols use them in a daily basis? How did they fit???

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am now at the stage where I think I can re-install the game. No clue as to the save game status. Regardless, I am far behind everyone. Computer glitches are horrible, but getting up and running again with things that affect life takes priority over games.

I did continue to participate per Izzy’s request. But that participation was based solely on my recollections from the last time I played the game. So most, if not all of my comments regarding Hans’ culpability for Oscar’s demise; or my opinion of Oscar being a sentient being; or Hans’ emotional maturity v. his intellectual progress; or what I think of Kate’s participation in the final act…..may not accurately reflect what my feelings will be when I finish the game this time. I doubt that they will differ much, but there’s always that chance. I will let you know.

I’m pretty sure the thread will be unpinned soon. Certainly before I finish the game. I will try to post to it until I’m done.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would like to thank Iznogood for leading us through this CPT. - the conversations about the sections of the game that I found shocking helped me look at them in ways I would have never thought of on my own.

Although I originally played this game when it was first released and only could recall a few parts of the game - playing the game for this CPT was almost like playing it for the first time.

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to our next CPT!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And now for the part 5 screenshots:

Well there’s your problem - The anchor is suppose to stay inboards when sailing!

And we are free to sail again .. well that was a quick intermezzo!

Damn it! I knew he wasn’t so easy to get rid of.

On thin ice!

On drifting ice!

Luckily, once again, the currents help us and tugs the iceberg towards the ship, and not out to open sea.

Raise the sail, and Ivan gets a little catapult trip Grin

Perhaps messing with penguins eggs are not the best idea in the world!

I can’t bear to watch.

Told you so - Well at least that should be the last we hear of Ivan.

And with that little intermezzo, the trip continues towards Syberia.

Another living being - Perhaps he can explain a lot of things to us?

Scratch that - he is dead as a mammoth dodo, and has been for a long time.
(I wonder if there is also living dodo’s here on this island?)

Seem like the main décor theme here is mammoth tusks.

On my last playthrough I missed this hotspot - not this time though.

More tusks.

For gods sake man! You can’t just sit there and wait for Kate to solve all the problems. This is your childhood dream, show a bit of initiative!

Time for the youki to earn its pay fish .. eh .. that reminds me we haven’t actually fed it in a while, have we Meh

And of he goes without a single word - this is starting to get a bit annoying, though I know that that is just the way he is .. but still, a “thank you” would have been nice.

For gods sake man! You can’t just sit there and wait for Kate to solve all the problems. This is your childhood dream .. Oh, why do I bother, obviously he is just going to let Kate do all the work.

Grin

A nice little puzzle..

.. and there be music.

Waiting.

Waiting.

There Be Mammoths!

My favourite screenshot from this part.

Not often we see Kate smile.

Goodbye Hans.

The End!

And that also concludes my official duty as playthrough leader

Though I’m sure there is still plenty to discuss, I would also like to use this opportunity to thank everybody who has participated in this CPT, not just for participating, but also for the many interesting posts, different views and interpretations of the game.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thank you Iznogood for your excellent leading on this great and well - organized playthrough. It was not my first go on this game, but it was certainly the one I enjoyed the most. Reading and debating between our posts, feelings, ideas and opinions throughout the entire Syberia 2 was a blast.

Now we wait for the 3rd part….. Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for leading the playthrough, Izno. Thumbs Up

It certainly was interesting to read everybody’s different interpretations in this game. Cool

Syberia III CPT next year? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Thanks Izno for a fun and exciting playthrough. It was real interesting hearing everyone’s opinions and insights about the game Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Izno—thanks for leading the playthrough. It was great!

Had she known what would happen, or had she had a say in this, then I’m not convinced that she would have chosen to sacrifice Oscar to keep Hans alive for just a little longer.

This is a very good question. My take on it—Kate would NOT have sacrificed Oscar. The game would have ended with Kate and Oscar in Syberia and Kate riding a mammoth while Oscar scolded the youki.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 27 September 2015 09:27 PM

Izno—thanks for leading the playthrough. It was great!

This is a very good question. My take on it—Kate would NOT have sacrificed Oscar. The game would have ended with Kate and Oscar in Syberia and Kate riding a mammoth while Oscar scolded the youki.

There used to be a television show in the US called Marcus Welby, M.D. There was a running joke about the “Welby” diagnosis procedure. Patient would come in and complain that his arm hurt whenever he moved it in a certain way. The doctor’s cure/treatment was to tell the patient to not move his arm that way.

The same thing is happening here. If Kate had not experienced the dream, or if Hans had not designed Oscar with this unfortunate capability. Or if Hans had not fallen from the cliff, which as an event, precipitated everything that followed.

It’s like Welby saying don’t inhabit the dream. Or him telling Hans not to climb the rock. Or telling Hans not to design Oscar that way. And if you don’t do any of this, all will be fine.

Except all of that did happen. And my reluctance to believe in the dream sequence aside, there was nothing that any of them could do to change the inevitable.

I would postulate that everything that happened was preordained once Kate got on the train.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 27 September 2015 10:06 PM

I would postulate that everything that happened was preordained once Kate got on the train.

I can agree to this from a narrative point of view, i.e. the game/story played out and ended the only way it really could end, but if we look at it from a real world perspective, then many other things could just as well have happened instead. So examining these other possibilities, for example what Kate would have done if the circumstances were a slight bit different, or how it would have ended if we change this little detail, is also a valid exercise and it can even help us better understand why it did end as it did.

If I had the time and energy to do so, then it could even but fun to write some alternative versions of this story, for example what would have happened if Kate hadn’t jumped on the train, what would have happened to Kate? Would Hans and Oscar have been able to make the journey on their own? How about if Boris hadn’t crash-landed when and where he did, would Kate still have been able to save Hans, or would Ivan sort of have taken over the role of helping Hans to get to Syberia, even though his motives was different than Kate’s?

Edit:

Becky - 27 September 2015 09:27 PM

I don’t think that Kate would have mounted the mammoth and rode into the horizon herself, that simply conflicts too much with how I see this last scene as a death metaphor. But I do agree that Kate and Oscar would have continued towards Syberia on their own and ended up seeing the mammoths.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 28 September 2015 11:28 AM

I can agree to this from a narrative point of view, i.e. the game/story played out and ended the only way it really could end, but if we look at it from a real world perspective, then many other things could just as well have happened instead.

I agree with that. Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to enter the game and re-write the code to cover all the “what if?” scenarios. Maybe one day games will be designed with that capability. E.g., we re-write the code in the first game so that when Kate does the final assembly on Oscar she removes the features that would allow Oscar to save Hans. Why not? She hasn’t even met Hans yet. She has no vested interest in his survival.

Which means that Hans will die in the Yokul village because Oscar is not equipped to save him. And then Kate and Oscar will do whatever they will do. End of game. And then somebody will say “Then that’s Kate playing God with Hans’ life by depriving him of the life-saving equipment he designed!”. And the conversational trail will turn again.

So yes, my statement comes from the game’s narrative. It’s what Sokol wrote! It’s his game and we can’t change it to suit our own moral perspective no matter how much we might like to.

I think we can certainly disagree on certain issues within the game. Is Oscar a sentient being? Are Hans or Kate good or bad people for taking the actions they did? And we have disagreed on these.

Takling the various “what ifs” from a real world perspective could be a lot of fun. Futile, but a lot of fun. In the end Will Oscar will still be dead? Will Hans will still be riding off atop a mammoth? And will Kate still be stranded with no future to go to. and no past to return to. I’m not sure I’m capable of writing a “what if” scenario that provides for a happy conclusion.

I’m reminded of a hypothetical situation where a salesman asks a customer whether he would like his service done good, done fast or done cheap. And then he tells the customer he can only chose two! Because he can’t have all three. E.g. you can have it good and you can have it fast. But that will come at a price, so it won’t be cheap.

Can all three survive at the end of the game. Well we know the answer to that, We can only chose two.

And we still wait for Syberia III, in hopes that all unresolved issues will be resolved. It’s been a long wait.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top