• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsKeybordzSpeedBoVeoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

crabapple - 19 September 2015 11:53 AM

I keep wondering what happens to Hans. How long is his life span extended by joining with Oscar’s body? Does he cork off within a week or is his life span extended by many years? Considering the “magic” impossible nature of many of his creations, it could be either. If his life span is extended, what will he do with his time? Will he start creating more impossible machines once he has his fill of riding mammoths?

Though I hate Hans with a passion, I admit that the idea of a half- machine, crazy inventor trying to take over the world from his secret magical island with an army of mammoth robots is awsome.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 20 September 2015 06:29 AM

Though I hate Hans with a passion, I admit that the idea of a half- machine, crazy inventor trying to take over the world from his secret magical island with an army of mammoth robots is awsome.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sefir - 20 September 2015 06:29 AM

I keep wondering what happens to Hans. How long is his life span extended by joining with Oscar’s body? Does he cork off within a week or is his life span extended by many years? Considering the “magic” impossible nature of many of his creations, it could be either. If his life span is extended, what will he do with his time? Will he start creating more impossible machines once he has his fill of riding mammoths?

I have to admit - this is just about the funniest thing I have ever read in a CPT!

Laughing

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sorry that I have been a bit absent in this thread the last few days, but I have now also finished the game.

Is the ending a bit disappointing or kind of a non-ending?
Perhaps - But I can’t see how it could possibly end any other way! [spoiler]We reach the end of the journey, Hans rides into the sunset on a mammoth, Kate ways goodbye, with a little tear in her eye - End of story!
There really isn’t any more story to tell, and we don’t need to know how or even if, Kate gets back home, or at least to a more safe and liveable place, that is something that imo is better left untold.[/spoiler]

Though obviously Sokal agrees more with Jabod than with me on this, and are currently working on Syberia 3, so apparently he believes that there is more to this story, that still haven’t been told. It would however not surprise me one bit, if Syberia 3 also ends with Kate being stranded in some new godforsaken place in the middle of nowhere, and we never actually get to see her return to New York or for that matter just to civilization.

Sefir - 18 September 2015 04:04 PM

Syberia 2 was not her journey, not her dreams….that is my opinion at least.

TimovieMan - 18 September 2015 04:29 PM

Kate’s entire character development arc is situated in the first game. This is just the completion of the journey she started in that game.

I agree with this, the main problem with Syberia 2 is as I see it, that Kate’s story really ended in the first game. Kate is still the protagonist in this game but she is no longer the main character, it is not her story that is being told, instead it is Hans’s story, Kate is just the helper or sidekick that makes it possible. For me the most interesting and important part of both games, have always been Kate’s story, which lacks here in the sequel, in fact I have previously stated that I didn’t think the sequel was necessary as the story had already been told in the first game, on second thought that might be an exaggeration, and there are also many things I like about no 2, but it is a problem imo.
(And I still think it ended the only way it could end).

Karlok - 18 September 2015 07:42 PM

Exactly! I’ve said it before and I apologize in advance for saying it again: Kate has been playing MOTHER to the many, many children, fools, halfwits, idiots she meets, not to mention Hans. That’s her dream. From the cold-hearted lawyer to the kind, helpful, caring Kate in Syberia 2. Her destiny is to return to New York and end up marrying a handsome but immature and irresponsible man who is of course unfaithful to her. She will love taking care of him and their four children.

I have heard that argument before also from others, and I still don’t buy it.
Yes she acts as a kind of helper, that help Hans to achieve his childhood dream and everything that he has been working on his whole life, instead of following some dream of her own. But how many games can you mention that is about the protagonist following their dreams? The only ones I can think of is the Larry games, almost all other games is about the protagonist being dragged into some kind of events, and more or less willingly have to save the world or at least their own ass.

Syberia is really no different. The only two differences is that she could have bailed out and returned to New York, and the game is less dramatic than most, instead of saving the world from some evil plot, it is “just” about finding the mammoths.

The key thing here is imo however why she chose to jump on the train, instead of taking the plane back to New York, and here I completely agree with SoccerDude. She is given the opportunity to go on a great adventure and she seizes that opportunity - and quite frankly who wouldn’t?
I know that (or at least I hope so) if a spaceship suddenly landed in my backyard, and offered to take me on a journey through outer space, then I also wouldn’t hesitate (much) before jumping aboard.
I don’t for one second believe that she did this because she wanted to help Hans or mother him, imo she did it for her very own selfish reasons.
(I also don’t believe that she will end up in new York, married to some dude with 4 children, in fact I seriously doubt that she will ever return to New York.)

All jokes about a cyborg mammoth army aside, as far as I’m concerned Hans is now dead! He might not have died in the traditional sense of stopped breathing, but as I mentioned earlier, the island of Syberia is imo not a real world place, but more of an equivalent to the underworld or land of the dead in mythology, so Hans is now an inhabitant of the land of the dead, or put in other words, dead!

That’s part of her problem—nothing worth going back to, and lots of things she doesn’t want to go back to. She follows Hans’ dream to its conclusion. But once that is done, she has no real destination. Will Syberia 3 be about Kate finding a real home—a real purpose?

I would love for that to be the case, but unfortunately, from what little I have heard about Syberia 3, it sounds more like a new Syberia 2 to me, with Kate going on some kind of quest to help the Youkols.

P.S. I will post screenshots from both part 4 and 5 after the deadline for this part thursday.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Overall, I loved the game and found it very touching. Syberia 3 could be very good, if done correctly - it’s been in development for so long that I hope it meets our high expectations when released.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m behind and trying to catch up. I’m in the Youkol village wandering around pretty much agog at everything. I’m at the puzzle with the lemming and the fruit. I finally looked at the walkthrough and it seems that I called the white owl over too soon. Just ran around everywhere trying to find a perch to call the white owl back to so it would stop frightening the lemming at the wrong time. Will try the puzzle again tomorrow.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 22 September 2015 08:11 PM

Just ran around everywhere trying to find a perch to call the white owl back to so it would stop frightening the lemming at the wrong time.

There’s one relatively close-by (I had to use it too).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

@Becky: Well I’m glad that you haven’t given up, and the good news is, that even though you still have quite a bit left of part 4, then part 5 is much shorter.

TimovieMan - 23 September 2015 06:15 AM

(I had to use it too).

I believe you are meant to “fail” the first time, how else can you know that you need to plug one of the holes, or more important which hole to plug?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m on the island and have gotten through the gate, but haven’t quite finished the game. Re: the discussion about Hans and Oscar: Hans designed Oscar with a fail-safe mechanism years ago (sounds like he did this as a child). Hans didn’t build Oscar—his sister built Oscar from the blueprints Hans gave her years before. The way I interpret the story, Hans actually chose to die in the Youkol village. He was unconscious when Kate entered his dream world. He didn’t have any choice in the matter. It was in his dream (over which he had no control) that Kate found out about Oscar’s heart. Without Kate, Hans would have died and Oscar would have gone on “living.” Which apparently was how Hans wanted it. If anyone is to blame for what happened, it’s Kate, isn’t it?

I admit that, once Hans woke up and realized he was in Oscar’s frame and had a new opportunity to actually make it to Syberia, he didn’t seem regretful about the decision Kate made. So to that extent, he was relatively emotionless about what had just happened.

I loved the whole process with the [spoiler]steam and the mechanical arm (which looked a lot like the one at the factory in Syberia 1). I wonder how many generations the Youkols on Syberia lived to send that ship back with Mammoths frozen and packed on it. It would appear that they lived that way for centuries. I wonder why they never communicated with back home? Not even a letter? I also admired the dream sequence graphics, with everything merging into a sepia-tinted illusion, but evoking the first game very well.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Becky - 25 September 2015 12:30 PM

I’m on the island and have gotten through the gate, but haven’t quite finished the game. Re: the discussion about Hans and Oscar: Hans designed Oscar with a fail-safe mechanism years ago (sounds like he did this as a child). Hans didn’t build Oscar—his sister built Oscar from the blueprints Hans gave her years before. The way I interpret the story, Hans actually chose to die in the Youkol village. He was unconscious when Kate entered his dream world. He didn’t have any choice in the matter. It was in his dream (over which he had no control) that Kate found out about Oscar’s heart. Without Kate, Hans would have died and Oscar would have gone on “living.” Which apparently was how Hans wanted it. If anyone is to blame for what happened, it’s Kate, isn’t it?

I admit that, once Hans woke up and realized he was in Oscar’s frame and had a new opportunity to actually make it to Syberia, he didn’t seem regretful about the decision Kate made. So to that extent, he was relatively emotionless about what had just happened.

I loved the whole process with the [spoiler]steam and the mechanical arm (which looked a lot like the one at the factory in Syberia 1). I wonder how many generations the Youkols on Syberia lived to send that ship back with Mammoths frozen and packed on it. It would appear that they lived that way for centuries. I wonder why they never communicated with back home? Not even a letter? I also admired the dream sequence graphics, with everything merging into a sepia-tinted illusion, but evoking the first game very well.

You make some really interesting point about Hans that I never thought about in that context before so thanks for sharing your insight Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Hans: my god, where’s Oscar - Kate what on earth HAVE you done?

Heart

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Iznogood - 21 September 2015 07:55 AM

I agree with this, the main problem with Syberia 2 is as I see it, that Kate’s story really ended in the first game. Kate is still the protagonist in this game but she is no longer the main character, it is not her story that is being told, instead it is Hans’s story, Kate is just the helper or sidekick that makes it possible. For me the most interesting and important part of both games, have always been Kate’s story, which lacks here in the sequel..

Now it’s quite clear for me why you considered that a sequel was not necessary, from your point of view the most important and significant was Kate’s story and agree that such story ends for the most part in the first game. Instead for me the most important and fundamental of both games was never Kate, but Hans’s story, his family, his past, Oscar, the automatons, his dream, etc. And that’s the reason why I did consider that the sequel was undoubtedly necessary.

Anyway, I think Syberia 3 (without knowing its premise) Kate will be the true protagonist, it will be her story from now on, I guess…of course.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I like Becky’s idea that Kate may be at fault for Oscar’s demise. I don’t agree with it, but I like it. While I am of the opinion that Hans remained an emotional ten-year-old once he fell from the rock, I never said he stopped learning, or that he wasn’t capable of designing magnificent things.

We don’t know, exactly, how he left Valadilene. When Kate arrives, the train is in the station. Built by Anna, but far away from where Hans is. Re: Oscar, Hans may have designed him, Anna may have started to build him, but it was Kate that did the final assembly. So she has an emotional attachment to Oscar that will last, at least until the end of the first game. Aside: I don’t recall seeing overdue bills for Oscar. but I do recall seeing them for the train.

Regardless, the farther we go in a North-Easterly direction, the more we see evidence that Hans has been there before. How did he get there? What mode of transportation did he use?

Just the same, Hans and Kate hook up, and travel to the point the train can travel no more.

So what’s the point? My thought is that Hans designed Oscar at pretty much the same time he designed the train. How could that not be? Who else would drive the train? Certainly not Anna.

But why would he design Oscar with a functional exoskeleton if not to use it for the purpose it was eventually used? There is no reason.

I don’t even buy into the dream sequence. Although I buy into the fact that Kate somehow became cognizant of Oscar’s designed purpose.

Do I blame Kate for Oscar’s demise? No more than I blame Hans for designing Oscar to serve his final purpose.

I don’t give Oscar the credit of sentient feelings. I don’t think he was sad that he died. I think, more than likely, he was proud to be able to do what he was designed to do. Just as he was proud to do what he was designed to do when he ran the train.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 25 September 2015 09:33 PM

I don’t give Oscar the credit of sentient feelings. I don’t think he was sad that he died. I think, more than likely, he was proud to be able to do what he was designed to do. Just as he was proud to do what he was designed to do when he ran the train.

I disagree.

Near the end of the first game, when you tell Oscar that you’ll miss him once you’ve found Hans, he asks if you are leaving. When you concur that you’ll return to New York, he gives a quiet “That’s… your decision, Kate Walker.” with about as much disappointment in his voice as can be.
Once you ask him to “open his heart” in this game, he goes equally quiet and responds VERY reluctanctly to everything.
Suggests sentient feelings to me.

Also, pride is also a sentient feeling… Wink Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oscar had sentient feelings and there were all over in both of the games. Be it excitement (mostly when dealing with him operating the train), fear (in NUMEROUS situations, he was a bit of a coward), joy, sadness, pride, etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top