• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

And it’s done. Best fans go through, Turkey out, Belgium seemed to have the game controlled but things could have gone bad at the end.

Switzerland v Poland
Wales v North Ireland
Croatia v Portugal
France v Ireland
Germany v Slovakia
Hungary v Belgium
Italy v Spain
England v Iceland

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 22 June 2016 04:51 PM

And it’s done. Best fans go through, Turkey out, Belgium seemed to have the game controlled but things could have gone bad at the end.

Switzerland v Poland
Wales v North Ireland
Croatia v Portugal
France v Ireland
Germany v Slovakia
Hungary v Belgium
Italy v Spain
England v Iceland

Belgium was horrible.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 22 June 2016 04:56 PM

Belgium was horrible.

But still better than Sweden most of the time. Zlatan deserved better for the last Euro

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A better look at the knockout stage:

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

France-Ireland, anyone? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 22 June 2016 05:05 PM

Belgium was horrible.

But still better than Sweden most of the time. Zlatan deserved better for the last Euro

If Turkey got knocked out anyway I wanted Zlatan to advance as well. Sad to see we won’t see him on the international stage anymore. I hope for a surprise Olympics attendance.

It sucks that all strong opponents are on one side of the bracket. I am 80% certain Croatia will make it to the final. Too easy side of a bracket.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Zlatan deserved better for the last Euro

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Anyway….@*#& the Euro Cup…in two hours Colombia plays Chile in the Copa America. This is where all the magic is happening! Vamos!

hope they show a lot of hot Colombian female supporters lol

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 22 June 2016 06:05 PM

Anyway….@*#& the Euro Cup…in two hours Colombia plays Chile in the Copa America. This is where all the magic is happening! Vamos!

10min in 2-0 for Chile… It’s going to be another bloodbath!
Euro- too many tactical defensive systems
Copa America - What is defense?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

A miserable pile of secrets?

But you are right. Still…for the spectator really exciting.

I still think Argentina will take it. Mexico and Colombia have been vastly overrated. The fact that Cuadrado is playing says a lot, this generation of Colombia is lacking good strikers. And defending has been atrocious.
Argentina has quality players and have a more tactical game. Hope they can tire Chile out by controlling and passing the ball Barca style. Then again…some youngsters might mess up. But Messi in good shape and if Higuain doesn’t choke like last time they will win it.

Anyway the game is postponed and might start in a bit but it’s getting too late.
04:44 here already.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It was too late, went to sleep after the first 20min, game was looking to be a blowout, I’m surprised it ended 2-0. I don’t think Argentina will lose but it’s a final…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 22 June 2016 11:16 AM

Don’t worry, I will eat my old hat if you loose to Sweden! Remove Zlatan and the rest of their team are quite mediocre.

Even Zlatan is mediocre if you can keep him away from the box.

Don’t know about the finals though Tongue

Given the talent we have, anything less than a semi-final was not going to be good enough beforehand. Now that we’re avoiding all the big teams, anything less than the finals is not good enough.

Thing is: if there’s anything consistent in Belgium’s play these last couple of years, it’s precisely that: it’s not good enough.

Did you notice how many attacks would have been dangerous if Hazard had simply made a through pass to Lukaku instead of dribbling one or two defenders first to then realize that all the defensive players were back in position and we were stuck again? Happens all the time under Wilmots’ command.
It’s just too slow. If they’d have the gall to make more quick passes instead of running with the ball so much, we’d be able to break down the opponent’s defense. But no. De Bruyne is pretty much the only player that gets it. And Mertens as well, but he tends to only be good in his first twenty minutes (which is why he’s our super-sub and not a starter). Carrasco should be able to do this too, but he hasn’t yet found his place, it seems.

Also, if Lukaku wants to improve as a striker, he’ll need to run better. Not faster, but with better positioning. Too often does he stay just behind his marker instead of trying to get in front, or instead of breaking off. As a result he’s never really open to receive a pass and if he does get the ball, he always has to receive it in a duel with his marker. If a winger has the ball, he also needs to run diagonally in the opposite direction to lure the defenders that way, and then switch his run to break free of them. He never does that. For now he’s just an unstoppable “through the offside trap” running machine.

So much untapped potential in our squad…
We urgently need a better manager… Frown

wilco - 22 June 2016 02:17 PM

I can’t believe we made it through with 3 ties, hate all you want Ronaldo and the portuguese players, at least they make some entertaining matches Smile

Ronaldo is a goal-scoring machine and he’s a wonder to behold. But he needs to stop taking all the free kicks, especially the ones at 30+ yards. Why does he try to score from that far out every time? He’s missed his last 60+ free kicks. Time to let someone else try. Besides, if they’re that far out, why not let someone else lob the ball in the box and have him there to head it in?
It’d lessen the hate as well, imo.

I don’t think we stand a chance against Croatia, but the other possibilities were England and probably Belgium so either way we wouldn’t go much further the way we’re playing…

Belgium’s not playing that much better either. Wink

I agree that Croatia are looking like favourites at the moment. They should at least make it to the semis. Where we’ll hopefully beat them.
Provided we get past Hungary - I hope our players don’t underestimate them.

wilco - 22 June 2016 04:09 PM
Origami - 22 June 2016 03:51 PM

Reality is is that Portugal got the easiest poule and still ended up 3rd lol.

You won’t say that when Iceland knocks out England and Hungary beats Belgium Smile

Both very real possibilities.

Why does everybody keep underestimating Iceland? They’re a very tough team to play against.
Wonderful supporters too. Something to do with only having one letter of difference with Ireland??? Tongue

Belgium was horrible.

No argument there. I didn’t see a lot of the announced “we’re not playing to draw” mentality.

Kinda hard when Sweden doesn’t have the same quality players that PSG has. Besides, having him in the team makes it even harder for the others. Most are probably even scared of him - he’s very much a love-him-or-hate-him player too.

Origami - 22 June 2016 05:14 PM

I hope for a surprise Olympics attendance.

As a supporter, maybe. He specifically said he wouldn’t participate in the Olympics.

Actually, not as a supporter either. To quote himself from two years ago: “a tournament without Zlatan is not worth watching”. Grin

It sucks that all strong opponents are on one side of the bracket. I am 80% certain Croatia will make it to the final. Too easy side of a bracket.

Why do you have to dash my idle hope with realism??? Wink

The Irish strike again:

Dent the roof of a car - put money in the door to pay for the damages, and then fix the dent anyway. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 22 June 2016 06:05 PM

http://www.totalsportek.com/list/hot-female-fans-euro-2016/

Ireland 2
England 0

Copa girls are mostly c tier.
No Wcup2014 magic yet…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 23 June 2016 05:52 AM

Ronaldo is a goal-scoring machine and he’s a wonder to behold. But he needs to stop taking all the free kicks, especially the ones at 30+ yards. Why does he try to score from that far out every time? He’s missed his last 60+ free kicks. Time to let someone else try. Besides, if they’re that far out, why not let someone else lob the ball in the box and have him there to head it in?

Ronaldo is not the hero we need, but the one we deserve Smile At this point I see him like the guy in the movies that keeps stubbornly making the things his way, nobody believes he will make it, he’s been ridiculed and humilliated but just keeps trying and trying and trying. At the end, in the last second of the final, when it will most matter he score a free kick from 30+ yards and he will become the stuff of legends…

In reality he really should just stop taking them, it’s a waste of time and effort and probably just drains the rest of team. I don’t know why the coach still allows it

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 23 June 2016 12:10 PM
TimovieMan - 23 June 2016 05:52 AM

Ronaldo is not the hero we need, but the one we deserve Smile At this point I see him like the guy in the movies that keeps stubbornly making the things his way, nobody believes he will make it, he’s been ridiculed and humilliated but just keeps trying and trying and trying. At the end, in the last second of the final, when it will most matter he score a free kick from 30+ yards and he will become the stuff of legends…

In reality he really should just stop taking them, it’s a waste of time and effort and probably just drains the rest of team. I don’t know why the coach still allows it

He is over rated, as much as Beckham was.
Suarez is even better, neyar even.

Talking about free kicks, here is another kickass kick in the corner at 6:20.

Messi sporting beard makes him look like a legend, as if he aint already.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top