• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 4274

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

funny statistics

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Erwin_Br - 08 July 2014 05:55 PM

Ouch.

Grin

Anyways, I said 2-7, it ended 1-7. No compliments on being so close? Wink Think if one had bet on this score? Like even a buck or two, the return would’ve been incredible.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

“Screw this… I’m outta Brazil and off to Germany!”

Brazil - Germany: 1-7

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Is that Muller Gagnam Style?  Laughing  Laughing

This old man Frown

And:

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Germans didnt fk Brazil more like Brazil team fked their nation, their fans and everyone.
Brazil even outclassed England Grin

So who is winning today ??? Tongue

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I honestly blame the Brazilian collapse not on the players, nor the coach, but the Brazil soccer federation itself. They thought you can just host a world cup, and because they are Brazil and they have history, they will win it.

Germany went through a dark period in the 90’s and very early 2000’s. It all hit rock bottom in Euro 2000 where they ended up the bottom of their group and did not qualify for the second round. So what did they do? They went and asked every team in the Bundesliga to donate 2 million euros to establish a football academy that is responsible in creating future talent for the country. 6 years later, they hosted the world cup, and had players like Ozil, Khadira, and Boateng to name a few. It was the first step in creating the awesome team they had today. It also helps that 7 of the German players play in Bayern Munich, so the chemistry is all there.

Brazil on the other hand winged it, thinking they could just host a world cup like in 1950 and just win. They had no plan after exiting two times in a row in the quarter finals, and this is the culmination of it all. I don’t ever remember a Brazilian team that has 0 potency up front. Like okay, their defense was usually bad (something they need to work on), but if the country that produced Pele, Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Romario, Careca, and Ronaldo has to rely on mediocre players like Jo and Fred to score goals, you know there is a problem with your talent pool and you need to reset.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well what do you know, yet another (important) South American player injured. At least he ran back, hope this means he’s alright. Looked really bad when he just fell down.

You know, somewhat unrelated, I don’t like that football has been getting more and more physical for a long time now. Back in the 90’s (and early 00’s) there was more room for individual skill, more “thinking” football. I liked that more.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^^ SoccerDude makes a very good point, and that’s also why the US will be a football force in 6-10 years. Bringing in Klinsmann resulted in a reform of how the federation works. He did something similar when he took over the German national team a decade ago. Look where they went since. I expect the same to happen in the States now.

Heck, we did the same in Belgium a decade ago, reforming how the youth competitions worked so it was more focused on player improvement and not on team results. Look at the amount of young talents we have now compared to in the past.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I miss seeing other teams. They should do a second group stage so that we’d see more of them - in addition it’d bring more interesting matches. I’d have loved to see, for example, how Columbia had played against Germany.

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Nasty foul on Sneijder; should have been yellow.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Drab match again. They’ll probably wait until after the 70-minute mark to start playing… Meh

This could very well be a 0-0 bore that’s decided on penalties.
If so, could we please just f@!# the format and let both teams lose (and thus let Germany win by default)???
It reminds me of that butt-ugly 1994 final between Brazil and Italy. They shouldn’t have awarded the Cup to either team that year…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Both teams doing a good job stopping the others strength. No team is really risking anything. Everybody waiting for a mistake of free kick/corner goal.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top