• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ooo!  I see lots of familiar sites in your London photos, UPtimist.  You take great pics!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Yay, now I got the link to work. Great photos Upsie! Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Jelena - 10 June 2014 01:42 PM

Yay, now I got the link to work. Great photos Upsie! Smile

Oh yay, that’s great! I was just coming back to ask if it didn’t work Smile Thanks everybody!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

By the way, I graduated yesterday!

Now I’m lost in a sea of possibilities with nary an idea of what to do.

Well, I do actually have some idea on a longer scale, but not for most of the summer.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Congrats Upsie!
So you’re a Candidate of law now? (oik maist)

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’ve been thinking. We have now this football competition going on. I’m not much interested in that at all, but I did think this:

If you are in a competition, I think it’s best to either come out last or almost last, or in one of the upper two slots. That way, people talk about you, which is ultimately what you want. The worst that can happen to you is end up somewhere in the middle. Nobody cares whether you became 10th or 11th in a competition with 20 contestants.
What do you think?

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Jelena - 14 June 2014 10:55 AM

Congrats Upsie!
So you’re a Candidate of law now? (oik maist)

Master of law Smile I dunno how it is in English, but Candidate was our old title, but around 2005 they did an overhaul that unified the titles to the European standards - in most our faculties the “kandidaatti” (~candidate) is the lower degree (aka Bachelor), but in law school it used to be the higher, so after the overhaul they couldn’t change that for the lower degree to avoid confusion - so nowadays the “candidate of law” isn’t used anymore.

Yay for long explanations when no one asked! Grin

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

Congratulations Smile.

“I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.”

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

tsa - 14 June 2014 11:24 AM

I’ve been thinking. We have now this football competition going on. I’m not much interested in that at all, but I did think this:

If you are in a competition, I think it’s best to either come out last or almost last, or in one of the upper two slots. That way, people talk about you, which is ultimately what you want. The worst that can happen to you is end up somewhere in the middle. Nobody cares whether you became 10th or 11th in a competition with 20 contestants.
What do you think?

Though that makes sense, I’m not quite sure if you want to be talked about when ending up last, especially if the expectations were high.
Then it’s better to fall somewhere in the middle and it won’t haunt you forever, as it indeed has for some players/teams.

That being said, for the dutch team there is only one spot that counts and that is first place. There is absolutely no point in landing 2nd place once again….though the odds are against us.

We already have our fair share of being talked about…..so at this point I’d prefer a lousy or crappy win over a fantastic/eventful 2nd place.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

RLacey - 14 June 2014 06:06 PM

Congratulations Smile.

Thank you!

In case anyone’s interested, I uploaded about 50 more pictures to the London album:
http://s627.photobucket.com/user/Paunci/library/London

But, you know, only see if you’re interested - I don’t want to be a holiday slideshow torturer Wink (like this or this)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 14 June 2014 11:24 AM

What do you think?

Why would coming out last or almost last be good at all??? You’re most likely a laughing stock if you do… Gasp

Anyway, it’s always best to end as high as you can, but expectations need to be taken into account.
Top teams will always aim for the highest accolades, but smaller teams can have a “middle of the pack” finish and still regard that as a major victory.

Heck, regarding the World Cup, everyone in Belgium is STILL talking about that one time in Mexico in ‘86 where we made the semi-finals…

subbi - 16 June 2014 05:45 AM

We already have our fair share of being talked about…..so at this point I’d prefer a lousy or crappy win over a fantastic/eventful 2nd place.

As a sports fan, I hate reading this. I ALWAYS prefer a fantastic/eventful performance over a lousy or crappy one, no matter what the end result is.

At the last World Cup, Holland wound up in second place (and nearly won), and I still feel that they played their worst World Cup ever with ugly football in dull matches.
I rather see them set the tournament on fire (like they did in 1998 for instance) and end up in fourth place (or even strand in the quarter finals), than have to watch them win in a dull fashion.

That goes for all teams and all sports, btw. I will always prefer an attractive attacking style (even if its results vary greatly) over an effective but dull and defensive style that wins consistently…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I’m totally with Timsie on this Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 16 June 2014 04:57 PM
subbi - 16 June 2014 05:45 AM

As a sports fan, I hate reading this. I ALWAYS prefer a fantastic/eventful performance over a lousy or crappy one, no matter what the end result is.

At the last World Cup, Holland wound up in second place (and nearly won), and I still feel that they played their worst World Cup ever with ugly football in dull matches.
I rather see them set the tournament on fire (like they did in 1998 for instance) and end up in fourth place (or even strand in the quarter finals), than have to watch them win in a dull fashion.

That goes for all teams and all sports, btw. I will always prefer an attractive attacking style (even if its results vary greatly) over an effective but dull and defensive style that wins consistently…

Now don’t get me wrong. I do agree with you and this is how I value club teams during the season and tournaments.

But the worldcup is another matter! Traditionally they’re not the best matches to watch, because of the enormous pressure on the contenders.
Being dutch means we are regarded as a nation that generally plays exciting football, but lacks the discipline and hardship to end up on top.
4 years ago was the only notable exception to that and the results were better than many cups before that.

We really need that cup for once…..and that may mean that we need to play a different style, at least during the important games, that may be less exciting to watch…

Now if I was german it would be a completely different matter…..as they are the masters of winning the cup with whatever means available. And then I would really want to see exciting football.
And it so happens that Germany played brilliantly and with showmanship, so who knows what the dutch can do
  Laughing

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 17 June 2014 12:59 PM

But the worldcup is another matter!

It shouldn’t be.

Back in ‘94, when Brazil won on penalties against Italy after an abysmal match, I wished NEITHER team got the World Cup. They didn’t deserve it based on that final.

It’s the friggin’ World Cup. If the players should ever be motivated enough to bring exciting football during every single minute of play, it’s now!

On a side note, I think little Zoë is a fan of Cristiano Ronaldo. She started crying yesterday when Germany made the 2-0, and again at 3-0. Tongue
Me startling her by jumping up and screaming ‘YES!’ had nothing to do with that… Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I will buy a kitchen appliance today: the Bosch MUM 54230!
http://media.bosch-home.com/Files/Bosch/Nl/nl/ProductFiles/ProductImages/EpsImages/MCSA045930_MUM54230_def.eps?Width=550
I want it mainly to make bread with, and the blender is a handy accessory too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top