• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed Broken Age a lot. It was really good adventure game with great production values and definitely one of the best adventure games from 2015 if you ask me.

I wouldn`t say that Thimbleweed Park is just another regular retro adventure. There is some kind of nostalgia factor going on, because Ron is a living legend, but I think his name helped him mainly to gather more money. Thimbleweed Park is one of the best organised and managed kickstarter projects ever and it seems to have great production values and clear vision, what it tries to do and be.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Broken Age, it was a solid game with good production values. I know the art style they chose doesn’t work for everyone one, but personally I liked it quite a bit.

As for how retro Thimbleweed Park will be might end up surprising people. Ron has talked a lot about how he aims to do a game people think old adventures were, but rarely actually were.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

tomimt - 14 March 2017 04:08 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Broken Age, it was a solid game with good production values. I know the art style they chose doesn’t work for everyone one, but personally I liked it quite a bit.

As for how retro Thimbleweed Park will be might end up surprising people. Ron has talked a lot about how he aims to do a game people think old adventures were, but rarely actually were.

Yes everyone agrees (including me) that Broken Age and The Cave were above average. But we were talking about the big 2nd coming of adventure gaming, while that isnt true. There were many better games before and after, and for me the involvement of Schafer and Gilbert is nothing to be excited about anymore. Maybe bob bates will surprise us and release something to amaze us?

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thimbleweed Park looks very polished for a modern retro game, and Ron promises what nobody else does - big open world and mindless oldschool fun, nothing political or philosophical. And he is not looking to please everyone, obviously, by experimenting with 3D (poor Jane), finding big publishers, taking advises from fans, adjusting the game for casual gamers and splitting it in half to make more money. Also it doesn’t look like a bold experiment nor something he forces himself to do, but rather like a pile of ideas he has been saving up since the LucasArts days.

This is what gets me excited, even though - I admit - I didn’t like The Cave and DeathSpank (the closest to adventure games he released in recent years). And Thimbleweed will be out in two weeks anyway, so there’s little time left for speculation.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Curious to know how people are planning to play this game when it finally launches? Especially those who played during the era when we didn’t think voices were possible in games vs. those who started later?

For instance, I really want to relive the experience of when I played the early Lucasfilm games after bringing them home from the store—so the old-school look of the verb menu, no voices on first playthrough, and any other way Ron lets us make things look authentically ‘80s: Just text and my imagination filling in the sounds of the voices. And easy mode, as I started MI2 when it came out, then played again through, giving me the sense of getting two games’ worth of playtime out of one title. Second playthrough will be hard mode with voices on and the new look.

Would love to know how others plan to do it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rottford - 15 March 2017 10:28 AM

Curious to know how people are planning to play this game when it finally launches?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

rottford - 15 March 2017 10:28 AM

Curious to know how people are planning to play this game when it finally launches? Especially those who played during the era when we didn’t think voices were possible in games vs. those who started later?

For instance, I really want to relive the experience of when I played the early Lucasfilm games after bringing them home from the store—so the old-school look of the verb menu, no voices on first playthrough, and any other way Ron lets us make things look authentically ‘80s: Just text and my imagination filling in the sounds of the voices. And easy mode, as I started MI2 when it came out, then played again through, giving me the sense of getting two games’ worth of playtime out of one title. Second playthrough will be hard mode with voices on and the new look.

Would love to know how others plan to do it.

Easy mode
without much verb usage
Voices

Later on i will check if puzzles are fun to be played in hard mode

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Normal mode, voices and all other modern goodies.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2017 06:02 PM

But we were talking about the big 2nd coming of adventure gaming, while that isnt true.

I think anyone expecting it to be that will certainly be wrong.  It’s not exactly the type of game that’s going to attract many new fans to the genre.  But I haven’t really seen anyone giving it that sort of hype either.

I’m just excited about it because I expect I’ll personally enjoy the heck out of it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Previews are all out on mainstream big sites and all are positive

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/10/thimbleweed-park-is-secretly-an-open-world-point-n-click-game

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

counting the hours!

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Looked at some youtube clips, started laughing and continued laughing. Stopped watching. I don’t want to spoiler myself. I’m getting this.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

An hour and a half away. So excited! We usually only stream development on our twitch channel but boy oh boy I think I’ll be streaming some hot Thimbleweeding this week-end and I CAN. NOT. WAAAAIIIT

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mr Underhill - 29 March 2017 03:32 PM

An hour and a half away. So excited! We usually only stream development on our twitch channel but boy oh boy I think I’ll be streaming some hot Thimbleweeding this week-end and I CAN. NOT. WAAAAIIIT

Where? Steam says 20h for me Frown

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

wilco - 29 March 2017 03:55 PM
Mr Underhill - 29 March 2017 03:32 PM

Where? Steam says 20h for me Frown

What the hell, must have been a glitch Frown Now it says 19 for me, too. Curses!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top