• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Meta-endings in parody movies

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Since there are people who have problems with endings of Ron Gilbert’s games, i thought to ask what people here think of endings of Blazing Saddles and Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Then again, maybe some people see MI games as pirate comedies, not parodies of pirate fiction. (Then again how could they not be parodies with all those cliches.) And while meta-endings make perfect sence in metafiction, some people are vary of meta-endings in other fiction.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Cabin in the Woods. Check it out.

And in regards to games: Assassin’s Creed 2 ending was awesome.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Holy Grail also had meta-beginning, meta-mid parts and meta-show that preceded it, so I knew what to expect and had no problem with it Smile I don’t like Mel Brooks’ comedy at all, but his movies are parodies for the sake of parodies, he never cared for characters/plot development and just used any setting to mock other movies. Monkey Island games are their own thing, with a believable world and characters. Even if they make fun of pirate cliches, they never go as far as to directly quote them while winking into the camera.

Personally I’m not against those tropes in movies/games/shows, I really enjoy Scrubs, for example, that breaks every wall with J.D.‘s fantasies, and yet I still care for him and the rest of the team. But it’s not easy to pull off, especially when you keep repeating one joke over and over again.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

My view is that it’s got to be more than just an ending. When you look at MI2, that’s what it was, because the logic of the ending could be seen and applied through the whole game. Plus it had that interlude when Guybrush falls out of the tree. When it’s a movie, same deal - I can’t remember then ending for Holy Grail but like you said, it wasn’t just the ending. The Truman Show (one of the most loved comedies) is probably as popular as it is because everything led up to the ending, while if it had just been pasted on it most people would have hated it. Return to Monkey Island’s ending left me and many others cold for that reason.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top