• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Who was the main writer on Deponia?

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

When I played The Whispered World back in 2010, I thought it was great, which is why I eagerly awaited for Daedalic Entertainment to release their next game, Edna & Harvey. However, I didn’t like that one nearly as much as I liked TWW. I contribute that to the fact that The Whispered World was primarily designed by Marco Hullen and all other Daedalic games (including Edna & Harvey) by Jan Muller-Michaelis (Poki). Correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyway, Deponia got some rather glowing reviews, which got me thinking - was Poki the lead on that game? If so, did he get better, is the game funnier and better written than Edna & Harvey and A New Beginning? According to reviews, that seems to be the case, which is genuinely surprising to me.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Poki did the dialogues in TWW, not Marco Huellen. Edna and Deponia are very much Poki’s games, but he was only one of four people working on the dialogues and game design of A New Beginning.

I love Poki’s humor, Deponia is great and Edna is one of my favorite games. I liked TWW very much, but not A New Beginning. So I guess you wouldn’t enjoy Deponia. Weird though, that you did like TWW.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Thanks for the reply.

What about Chains of Satinav? Also, do you know what is Poki’s role in the development of The Rabbit Apprentice and Alcatraz? I’m asking out of curiousity, I’m pretty sure I’ll give those games a chance anyway.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-03-28

PM

Bon - 13 November 2012 07:54 AM

I contributed that to the fact that The Whispered World was primarily designed by Marco Hullen and all other Daedalic games (including Edna & Harvey) by Jan Muller-Michaelis (Poki). Correct me if I’m wrong.

Poki is the main writer from Edna & Harvey and Deponia and the co writer from The Whispered World and A New Beginning.
In the past poki has worked on all Daedalic games but now he works only on his own games(Deponia, Edna).
All other games are not from Poki. Satinavs Chains is from Kevin Mentz. The upcomming The Rabbit’s Apprentice is from Matthias Kempke(What Makes You Tick?) and 1954 Alcatraz from Gene Mocsy(Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, A Vampyre Story).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Adding to Fien’s post, there’s also a guy Kevin Mentz who co-wrote the dialogues in Deponia and previously translated TWW. There’re also two more designers who worked on previous games. But Daedalic is obviously growing even though their games might not be necessarily better than previous ones.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Goldeneye - 13 November 2012 08:26 AM

It seems you dislike the games René Anhaus was involved with in design or story (as per mobygames credits). He didn’t work on TWW and Deponia and it seems a bit harsh to say Daedalic’s games are better when he’s not involved.

When it comes to video games, you can usually easily distinguish good designers from bad if you just play one of their games. If it’s not good, then all of their other games are probably not that good too.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-10-20

PM

Just try one of the others. Poki was heavily involved in all Daedalic-Games exept from Chains of Satinav and is also their Creative Director. Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, was his his first game and originally not even a professional production. The game was already completely playable when Daedalic was founded and just slightly enhanced and expanded. Also the Edna & Harvey-series has it espacially hard, even for a Daedalic-Game, outside Germany and are also very inconvenient in quiete some terms, allthough they use the LA-Formula. Those games might not klick with everyone.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve liked every daedalic game i’ve played, except for a new beginning.
I liked chains of satinav quite a bit. Its a very nice homage to a fantasy roleplaying setting.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top