• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished, as probably the last person around here, Return to Monkey Island. A good game but it lacked a bit in the “fun” department. I’d read about people thinking the game is too easy, and I guess it is easy in comparison with the other games in the series. But I think the puzzles themselves were quite fun to solve and made the game flow well. I only felt stuck once in the game, before realizing there was a hint in a conversation topic elsewhere in the game. And I solved the last real puzzle pretty much by chance, not really knowing what I did right.

There were a couple of bad fourth wall-breaking comments and references that you would expect in a “fan-made” adventure game but not from writers with this resumé. But overall I enjoyed the writing and gameplay. A 3,5/5 from me.

Finishing this concluded my playthrough of the whole series, with replays of all the previous games. A great experience. I like Escape from Monkey Island a lot more than most people. Not a bad game in the series imo. Return would probably end low if I ranked them all.

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I just finished Brownie’s Adventure. Interesting how such a haphazardly made adventure game can be so much more enjoyable than most of the more polished ones I’ve played in the last few years.

What I liked:

- Pretty good writing. Entertaining and clever dialogue. Minimal typos, grammatical errors, botched idioms, etc. This last sentence shouldn’t NEED to be mentioned as a positive, but unfortunately almost every adventure game I play these days reads like it was written by a sixth grader.
- Expansive! Your adventure takes you to lots of different places and feels like an actual adventure.
- Fun characters. A few were underused, occupying just one screen or puzzle, but most of the characters were fun to meet and chat with.
- Good puzzles. Nothing very challenging here, but tough enough to make me feel like I’m playing a game and not an interactive story book.
- Genuinely funny. This kind of humor, over-the-top adult potty humor I guess, is typically not my thing, but there were many times while playing Brownie’s Adventure that I laughed out loud at someone farting or having their crotch impaled by a sword.
- Perfect length. Long enough not to be a short game, short enough not to drag. The game unfolds at a good clip and then rolls up just as smoothly.

What I didn’t like:

- While Brownie’s Adventure bleeds rough charm, it’s sometimes a little too rough. Some of the hot spots, particularly for exit points on the screen, are difficult to find. In one instance, so difficult that I reached out to the developer for help.
- Sometimes dialogue doesn’t provide enough information. For example: I gave someone some loot, and she gave me a key, but the dialogue made no note of her giving me the key, so for a while I was stuck until I noticed ‘Oh look, a key!’ in my inventory.
- Certain hotspots, once used, elicit zero response to anything you try to do with them. It would have been nice to at least have a few default ‘I can’t do that’ replies programmed in so the player knows that the game registered that they tried to do something, instead of the player thinking ‘maybe I missed the hotspot when I clicked on it, let’s try again.’
- There is a segment where you have to locate certain very un-obvious location hotspots on the world map by comparing the world map with another map. Those invisible locations have teeny tiny hotspots, which makes this puzzle a pain in the bottom. Also, the dialogue cluing the player in on what to do is very vague, making one wonder if they are barking up the wrong tree, even if the player is trying the correct thing, just striking out because of those aforementioned teeny tiny hotspots.
- Can only fast forward through dialogue lines by clicking the ‘.’ key on your keyboard, would have been nice to be able to click the right mouse button instead.

Anyway, that’s it. All in all an excellent game, highly recommended. It’s like $5, it’ll make you laugh, and if you like point and click adventure games (you’re here, right?), you’ll like the gameplay well enough.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished Monolith. Not many positive things to say about it unfortunately. The graphics were ok and some of the puzzles too. But the writing is mediocre. What plays out like a science fiction story for the main part of the game turns out not to be a science fiction story at all, but instead some kind of metaphor for the protagonist’s personal development or something. I felt a bit cheated to be honest. We get the cliché mechanical sidekick, there to provide comic relief but that didn’t say anything that I found funny during the whole game. We get extremely long-winded comments and over-explanations when clicking on objects and when using them in the game environment. The acting is flat, probably more because of the writing, lack of direction and poor sound design than the actors themeselves being particularly bad.

Like with some other Animation Arts games I quickly began fast-clicking my way through the endless dialogues/monologues, only using the subtitles to get what’s being said. This studio should hire a good editor! But possibly it’s a better experience to play this in the original German language than in English.

Can’t give the game more than 2/5 stars.

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished The Legend of Skye and my Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within replay. I was hoping that after so many years maybe I would appreciate it more, but, alas, I found the indie pixel game more enjoyable than the all-time FMV classic. Everything that bothered me in GK2 before is still there: hammy acting, unexciting story, overly long dialogues with very little gameplay. Such a step back compared to the rich interactive world of GK1 full of mysteries (and GK3 as well). FMV itself also didn’t age well, many locations look like a blurry mess and many scenes lasted longer than they should (like Gabriel climbing the rooftop or almost every action performed by Grace).

It was interesting as an experiment, in the sense of “what if they were real persons”, I just wish Jensen chose a different series for that. Still the 5th chapter played better than the rest for me and at least resembled an old horror movie, plus it gathered all the best actors at one place. If only it lasted longer, maybe even used as the main location instead of all the Munich-based scenes which I didn’t like all that much.

The Legend of Skye, on the other hand, was a very enjoyable LucasArts-inspired adventure with a very cute protagonist. Plenty of great puzzles and comic moments that put Ron Gilbert and Return to Monkey Island to shame — I particularly enjoyed the shooting and smoking competitions. All characters are sympathetic and never annoying, there are nice touches here and there, like how the island and its fauna slowly extend without turning into an overcrowded bazaar, or inventory items used in different ways. The last chapter kinda looses steam and feels a bit forced (that music puzzle was particularly annoying). I’m also not a fan of the ending, but all in all the game is arguably one of the best of its kind, I can easily imagine playing it back during the 1990s and enjoying it all the same. Thumbs up!

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top