• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2004-03-03

PM

Bill holds the IP rights to A Vampyre Story as a franchise, but Crimson Cow Games holds the publishing rights for A Vampyre Story 1 and 2 (they actually signed the sequel before the original was released).  So he is free to make a prequel independently while sorting out the AVS2 situation, assuming he can get it funded, which apparently he can’t.

I don’t get the impression that Bill is trying to wrangle the publishing rights for the sequel away from Crimson Cow anyway.  He’s trying to encourage them to fund the remainder of its development.  Both parties in theory want to get the game made; it’s a financial impasse stemming from the first game going over budget.

Total Posts: 5871

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished the game & had forgotten how abruptly the game ends which I know didn’t impress me the first time especially as the sequel never materialised! As much as I feel sympathetic towards the developer, it’s all too much of a common story & as a ‘consumer’ paying my money out for a COMPLETE story I’ve had enough! - don’t make games/episodes that don’t conclude!!! Rant over!

I don’t know whether it’s just me but I found some of the inventory puzzles a little more bizarre in this part of the game??? Using the boomerang on the garlic - I tried everything else but never thought of that! Also I got stuck outside of the Dress Shop & missed what to do with the sign! Keeping on the subject of the Dress Shop by the time I’d got to the point where I could get Mona what she wanted I couldn’t remember any reference in the game earlier to know that I needed those bolts of cloth & also after I’d pacified everything how the dress-shop lady knew exactly what I wanted - what did I miss?

PS I also ran into the Stadium glitch that I never encountered when I played it before. Luckily I had a Save not long beforehand so didn’t have to backtrack too far!

Total Posts: 5064

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 28 June 2013 07:26 PM

I’ve just finished the game & had forgotten how abruptly the game ends which I know didn’t impress me the first time especially as the sequel never materialised! As much as I feel sympathetic towards the developer, it’s all too much of a common story & as a ‘consumer’ paying my money out for a COMPLETE story I’ve had enough! - don’t make games/episodes that don’t conclude!!! Rant over!

Keeping on the subject of the Dress Shop by the time I’d got to the point where I could get Mona what she wanted I couldn’t remember any reference in the game earlier to know that I needed those bolts of cloth & also after I’d pacified everything how the dress-shop lady knew exactly what I wanted - what did I miss?

First, I think just about everone has ranted about the ending. Second, the answer to the cloth bolts is found in your Dummie’s Guide.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 28 June 2013 07:50 PM

the answer to the cloth bolts is found in your Dummie’s Guide.

Thanks rtrooney, reading through the Dummie’s Guide (for a dummy!) again it is pretty obvious! But how did Mina seem to know that Mona specifically wanted black cloth?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 29 June 2013 05:51 AM

Thanks rtrooney, reading through the Dummie’s Guide (for a dummy!) again it is pretty obvious! But how did Mina seem to know that Mona specifically wanted black cloth?

I think Mona and Froderick talked about there not being any black cloth on display when they were in Mina’s shoppe. And Mina told Mona that she had some elsewhere, but didn’t have time to get it. It wasn’t until after the kids are asleep and the husband is out cold that Mina has time to retrieve it. At least that’s what I remember of the sequence.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you again rtrooney, I didn’t talk to Froderick in the shop so I see where I missed the reference!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As i recall it, Mona actually asked the shopkeeper about it, when she was still running around and didn’t have time, but this is one of the optional dialogs, so if you didn’t have this dialog, it probably didn’t make much sense.

I had a similar experience, where Mona gave the all-pass to the stadium to the prostitute, without ever having discussed going to the stadium with her, but that was also because i did something a bit out of order, and accidentally skipped a whole dialog with the prostitute.

There are a couple of occasions where you can do things out of order, and end up doing things or have others do it, before there is an actual reason for it, but i have seen it worse in other games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6614

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It MAY seem I’m failing at yet another playthrough, but all I need is just one more week. I’m expecting to finish the game until the next weekend. Mini Frown

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

rtrooney - 24 June 2013 04:42 PM

I enjoyed the game. Thanks to Sefir for putting it together.

Thanks from me as well. I’m embarrassed to say how many unfinished game shortcuts are currently visible on my desktop so it’s a good feeling to see some bit of progress on that front. Definitely more enjoyable than playing alone. In light of the issues with the ending and the topics of the prequel and non-sequel I have to admit it was a good choice for a CPT since I would have most likely missed out on quite a lot, especially regarding the dialogue exchanges had it been just a solitary play through.  Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Got lots of done tonight but can’t really say how much is left. But I try to finish as soon as possible so that everyone isn’t done a week before me. Got a few great moments so far but will still wait a bit before posting them.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

RayB - 30 June 2013 02:33 PM

I’m embarrassed to say how many unfinished game shortcuts are currently visible on my desktop so it’s a good feeling to see some bit of progress on that front.

Ain’t that the truth? I would be ashamed to post a screenshot of my desktop!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Done!

I liked the game, like many others much more this time. I tried it out years ago and was pretty bored with it. I also think the graveyard part was rather weak, the escape puzzle was pretty much worst in the game, very farfetched and not even funny, which could make up some illogicalities. Otherwise I enjoyed the third part probably the most. Good characters and puzzles. Music and art was good and Froderick is a really good companion in every sense: he adds to the story, provides many humorous events and works well as a puzzle device.

As for the AVS2 or Year One… I don’t think the prequel is such a bad idea - especially now that it seems there are good reasons why they can’t make AVS2. And I didn’t find the ending so much as a cliffhanger but and obviously unfinished story. I’m not sure if knowing this helped but I wasn’t really that unsatified with the abrupt ending. Could be - but then again I have never been so picky with the endings that other people seem to be. Even with crappy endings I can still feel how the whole game felt, it rarely comes crashing down for me.

Oh, and there is a short scene after credits, not related to the story really but still nice Smile

Forgot those creepy snotfall pics earlier, here they are:

I was laughing pretty hard on those.

rtrooney - 20 June 2013 08:55 PM

I think I’ve found another glitch. I’ve found the key in the well. The first stew melting doesn’t work. So, we’ll wrap the bucket with a blanket to keep it insulated. Nope, that doesn’t work either. I haven’t tried it, but it would appear that you have to get the stew in the bucket before you apply the blanket. Make sure you save before you start this sequence.

I am almost certain I did it the other way fine. Probably fixed in the patch, which I assume you didn’t have since you experienced the perfume bug.

Iznogood - 21 June 2013 05:44 PM

I actually think i ran into the stadium bug

No matter how many times i tried, i could not get Froderic to squeeze through the bars while he was greased up, he just kept saying: i will do it when there is a reason for it. I think i made the mistake of trying this before i tried just flying through or using un-greased Froderic on the bars.

This too worked just fine for me. Couple of first tries I got the same answer but right away when I found the reason to actually go in, it worked. There was another bug conserning the same puzzle line though, for some reason I could ask the working girl a favour way before Mona was aware that it was needed. I was a bit confused why on earth Mona was asking that. But there seemed to be a lot of confusion with talking or not talking to her with others too.

Lady Kestrel - 21 June 2013 09:22 PM

and walking around, and I’m currently standing in the doorway of the dress shop waiting to be invited in.

One of my favourite puzzles Smile.
Mona’s dance I found pretty creepy Tongue.

I experienced a graphic bug which I wont post yet since it includes quite a spoiler. It wasn’t gamebreaking though since it fixed itself after proceeding further.

I have to admit that bad humour works for me sometimes:

Cutest stuff in game:

And to the end: HIGH FIVE! ...or four?

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3033

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Off to the village we went
with a vampire guidebook in our hand
A horse and a…ehmmm..woman of low morale fiber we met
and found the skeleton of a bat
“who let the wolves out” we said
with background music from a band
In the end, someone turned up dead,
and Mona fell to Shrowdy’s trap.
Now on the way to a lab we were sent.
to meet Dr. Riga Mortus (a scientist probably mad).

Time is up! I am happy to announce that this playthrough has come to an end (of course the slowest players that were left behind are still free to use it to tell us their final experiences from the game)! I am not going to judge if it was successful or not…On the plus, many of you, especially the ones who re-played the game,  commented that within the playthrough it was a much more enjoyable experience….On the other hand, AVS: Year 1 was not funded, something that was a great dissapointment for me… I have to admit that AVS was a game that I liked instantly, mainly because of Bill Tiller’s graphics (have I mentioned that purple is my favourite colour?). As I proceeded within the game, many likeable characters were met, interesting riddles (the one about being invited to the dress shop was the most difficult one IMO) and the entire journey was made through various funny comments. Not always my style, not always hit the spot, but it was fun nonetheless most of the time. Of course I was also shocked by the abrupt end the first time I played, and I saw various negative comment from many members, but I bloody warned you, in my first post did I? So…what trouble awaits Mona and Froderick on their way to Paris? Who is Dr. Riga Mortus and what is his agenda? What secret plans Shrowdy holds for the future? Is Madame Strigoi really dead? And what happened to the Vampire Hunters? I guess the only way to know is to pray for a sequel.
For the time being, here are some shots from the sequel that was never fully created…

Froderick, dressed in a costume (again)…

Froderick meeting his old gang (no, they are not winged pigs! They are bats! Really!)

Making new friends…

Here is the Dr. himself. I like his model.

And his lab. I can no longer look at this picture without instantly thinking this:
Vincent Price

I would like to thank all participants for joining and I hope you all had a very good time! See you in the next playthrough! Smile

Total Posts: 5644

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thank you for hosting this playthrough, Sefir.  I did indeed have a good time with it.

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Sefir - 02 July 2013 09:51 AM

Froderick, dressed in a costume (again)…

Well they made it painfully obvious that the poor bat would have to use the costume again and again the way he swore it would only be this one time and never ever ever again. He used it already twice in AVS in my game, didn’t try if I could make him put it on again and again.

Thanks for hosting the playthrough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top